Good bye and good luck...

I had told myself that when version 1.03 was released, I would stop coming to this forum, as lately it has at times taken directions that have upset me greatly. 1.03 is here, and I am gone- but I feel compelled to say thank you to pretty much everybody who ever posted on this board: each post I have read (which is virtually all of them) has either increased my knowledge in some way, or has given me cause for reflection in others. For this I am indebted to all of you. Especially though, I would like to thank Steve and Charles for CM, and to Fionn, MadMatt, KwazyDog, Moon, and the many others who have laboured on the game either directly or indirectly to bring it to the level it has reached today.

What is interesting about CM is that even though it is putting a new spin on wargaming,

it has brought back, for me, the same fun and excitement I used to get 30+ years ago when I first played "cardboard and paper." Until now, that excitement has been missing- I'm glad it has finally returned...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bad Ju Ju

Kevin: What gives? I see you've been posting a long time (182 post) and I reviewed a few of the more recent threads and failed to find any expressions of upset. The way I see it, this board is a super resource and perfect "water cooler" for the CM community. By and large, 90 percent or more of the folks who post here have interesting things to say. Anyway, sorry to see such a regular contributor say goodbye. Good luck.

------------------

"I didn't go to evil medical school for six years to be called MR. Evil." Dr. Evil

Guest SS Peiper
Originally posted by Bad Ju Ju:

Kevin: What gives? I see you've been posting a long time (182 post) and I reviewed a few of the more recent threads and failed to find any expressions of upset. The way I see it, this board is a super resource and perfect "water cooler" for the CM community. By and large, 90 percent or more of the folks who post here have interesting things to say. Anyway, sorry to see such a regular contributor say goodbye. Good luck.

I agree with Bad Ju JU, Kevin what happen? Dont let a few bad apples upset you.

SS Peiper

Hmm, 10% troublemakers is enough to ruin any forum.

Sorry to lose you Kevin but hardly surprised. A lot of the old-timers have very much reduced their posting volume or just left altogether recently. I don't blame them one bit.

Guest Bad Ju Ju

"10 percent troublemakers." If I stopped going to work to avoid the 10 percent of morons, idiots, and real world ALL CAPS dolts I deal with, why, my mortgage wouldn't be paid. Although Kevin is of course free to stop reading and posting here, to me it is his loss as much as ours. Could it be I detect a little "I was here first" elistism?

This board IS a great resource. Appreciate it and all who contribute, old and new.

Kevin,

Hate to see you go. Sorry you seem to have fallen in a trap that a lot of other net goers do. Read crap posted by people they will never know and/or meet and and take it personaly and or try to fit it into their lives.

I'm a self proclaimed idiot. Sometimes I come across post that bother me a little. For those I just have to say "this guy is more of an idiot than I am." and move on...

To let something said in a chat room ,( a forum is just a turn-based chat room in my book) ,bother you that much is just not right.

well.. enough rambling (told you I'm an idiot)

Good luck and God speed.

Lorak

------------------

"someone you trust is one of us"..........the illuminati

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/combatmissionclub

Lorak's FTX for CM <--Proud member of the Combat Mission Webring

[This message has been edited by Lorak (edited 07-27-2000).]

Username, I have read almost every single post on this board. The only ones I have missed were around the release of the gold demo when this board was flooded with almost 1,000 posts a day for a week.

If you arrived on this board early enough, it was fairly easy to read all of the previous posts and keep up with the new ones. When I started reading the board there were only about 3-4000 posts and we were only getting about 75 new posts a day.

Jason

I hope you stay, Kevin. The vast majority of posts on this board

are very reasonable and only a very small number of threads turn

into true flamewars. In fact, this board (considering the number

of posts) might just be the most flame-free I have ever seen. Don't

let a few jerks get you so annoyed that you leave. Old-school board

members are valued around here. smile.gif

Bad Ju Ju,

Ah, but this isn't a job. This is a forum you come purely for enjoyment. IF Kevin was making his living from coming here I'm sure he could put up with the jerks BUT since he gets nothing from coming here why put up with them? wink.gif

That's the difference.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kevin Peltz:

I had told myself that when version 1.03 was released, I would stop coming to this forum, as lately it has at times taken directions that have upset me greatly. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I presume that you are referring to the postings about WW2 atrocities,or maybe some of the trolls. But if that is the case, no one is forced to contiknue reading such threads when it becomes obvious what the subject is.

Henri

Or perhaps the recent hernia and vomit posts? Or the inane palestinian posts? Or the helmet "potty" posts? Or the judge and jury Coolcolj posts?

Or maybe this thread? I find it ridiculous that any one would want to NOT read this forum if they care about the game and "have to tell themselves to leave". Get real Kevin. If you have been playing wargames for 30 some years that makes you as old as me. War doesnt upset you but the direction of the board does?

Maybe you are just posturing because you feel that something in your agenda can be accomplished. Its petulant and, quite frankly, unbecoming behaviour for an adult.

I enjoy vomit posts. There I have said it.

Lewis

I'm not leaving until it reaches the point where comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.space-sim is right now.

In everyday life you run into jerks. Even I'm a jerk every now and then.

This forum has gone a little down hill, in the "lets be nice" catagory, since the game came out. But that is only because you have in influx of people who haven't followed the development of the game from it's inception. They are asking questions, making requests, or making statements that have probably been asked, requested, or stated when the game was being developed. We need to give these individuals some slack. If these individuals insist on being a pain in the rear, I'm sure this community will cause them enough grief to not come back.

I've been able to figure out who some of the more obnoxious individuals are, so I just read their posts for the laugh value they provide. And I do not take them serious even if they seem to take themselves serious.

This forum has not gone down hill in the number of interesting posts, there is just a lot more posts to wade through to get to the more interesting ones.

[This message has been edited by MadDog0606 (edited 07-28-2000).]

I have been to my fair share of forums and chat rooms and have to say that by and large this is one of the better ones. Example: I went to a Star Trek gaming chat room to ask a simple question about a game and found to my suprise that no one was talking about Trek. In fact I think it was a bunch of people trying to get a date (come to think of it maybe they were desperate trekkies). That being said, everywhere you go you will find idiots and losers but if your input helps another (even in a game) then why let the idiot and losers hamper your right. Any my time on the soapbox is done. Kevin I didn't know ya but good luck.

------------------

Sir are you sure you want to go to red alert...it would mean changing the bulb

-Priest

At first i didn't know why he was eaving, but reading some of these responses it becomes easy to tell...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Could it be I detect a little "I was here first" elistism? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sigh...even if he was here first, doesn't that just mean that he would know more about the dirrection this forum has gone in?

Kevin, I never knew ya and I'm sorry about that. Guess I just wasn't around long enough.

------------------

The worst part of any conflict is peacekeeping, it is the time when only one side may fire.

Can't resist this one...(clearing throat noises)

"Hello! You can't be going...You have to stay, I came to say you can't be going. It was a gas, I've had my laughs - you can't be going....

For our sakes, you must stay. You cannot go away - you'll ruin this party we are throwing....

Please stay a week or two, Please stay the whole night through, but I'm telling you...

You

can't

be

going."

(Thankyou, thankyouverymuch)

Hell, Kevin is ( as someon I know is fond of saying ) "good people". I'd say his comments are worth more than most around here.

Of course, in the same way as bad money drives good out of circulation so bad posters drive good posters out of the forum. It's just the natural way of things.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kevin Peltz:

I had told myself that when version 1.03 was released, I would stop coming to this forum, as lately it has at times taken directions that have upset me greatly. 1.03 is here, and I am gone- but I feel compelled to say thank you to pretty much everybody who ever posted on this board: each post I have read (which is virtually all of them) has either increased my knowledge in some way, or has given me cause for reflection in others. For this I am indebted to all of you. Especially though, I would like to thank Steve and Charles for CM, and to Fionn, MadMatt, KwazyDog, Moon, and the many others who have laboured on the game either directly or indirectly to bring it to the level it has reached today.

What is interesting about CM is that even though it is putting a new spin on wargaming,

it has brought back, for me, the same fun and excitement I used to get 30+ years ago when I first played "cardboard and paper." Until now, that excitement has been missing- I'm glad it has finally returned...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bummer, does it have to be concrete? Good luck in everything, sorry to see you go.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>posted by Bad Ju Ju "10 percent troublemakers." If I stopped going to work to avoid the 10 percent of morons, idiots, and real world ALL CAPS dolts I deal with, why, my mortgage wouldn't be paid. Although Kevin is of course free to stop reading and posting here, to me it is his loss as much as ours. Could it be I detect a little "I was here first" elistism?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The forum we have today is a completely different forum from the forum of old. Not saying it's better or worse but it is definitely a different experience. I too miss the old forum but enjoy todays forum

nevertheless.

Since beta my attittude towards the forum has changed greatly, and now that we have the game I'm afraid to read any serious game related posts for fear of not having the enjoyment of discovering the details myself. Like Fionn said, I don't blame them one bit smile.gif