Hercules 3D Prophet 2 GTS w/64mb

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Anyone else out there have one of these video cards with the Geforce 2 GTS ?

If so what resolution best displays CM?

I am running CM at 1024x968 on a 17inch monitor - The processor is a Athlon 900 Thunderbird with 256MB Ram.

I installed all the mods from CMHQ with the velvet grass and so on but i do not see much of an improvement in graphics over my old computer with a TNT2 card. Maybe i am doing something wrong?

I set the FSAA to Maximum and downloaded the latest driver from Hercules website (driver version 5.22) and i am using 32bit desktop. Will CM use FSAA or should i check the box that says "Force FSAA".

I was expecting a good increase in display graphics????????

Any advice from those of you that have a similar setup would be welcome.

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Guest Madmatt

You need to get the new 6.18 drivers from NVidea as FSAA wasnt really working in the 5.22 driver revision.

And you DO have to select FORCE FSAA otherwise it doesnt appear to work with CM.

As to the image quality, the colors are more rich and deep and once you get the FSAA you will notice a reduction in shimmer.

BUT the TNT2 was a very impressive card so don't expect night and day difference in overall screen quality.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 08-28-2000).]

OK, First of all you cannot run the 8x or 16x FSAA on a GeForce Card right now. There is not enough bandwidth or memory. In fact on a GeForce 2 GTS with 32 Meg of RAM, you can only run FSAA at the second lowest setting at 640x480 32-bit color. When you throw the slider to the max, it actuallty only renders at what what it is capable of. You can get much better FSAA runnig in 16-bit color, but still cannot use the maximum setting. You can, but there will be no differece in quality. At 1024x768 in 32-bit color you get almost no FSAA. You'd need 128 Meg...

[This message has been edited by jpinard (edited 08-28-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

Just to add to what Jeff said above. CM DOES NOT run in 32 bit mode so you are better off running in 16 bit screen depth. I run mine at 1280x960 with FSAA set to 4x4 and DO notice an improvement over no FSAA. The frame hit is marginable if at all with my current system.

Now, I try and run Half LIfe at 4x4 at above 800x600 and its slide show city!

There is an nifty new utility that I picked up from one of the GeForce sitres that is basically a FSAA control panel that sits in your system tray. It allows you to manually select the FSAA level for both Direct3D and OpenGL games. I use it constantly now to switch between FSAA heavy and FSAA minimum while playing different games.

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Guest Madmatt

It's a complete hog on SOME games and on other like CM its hardly noticable. Although I do detect just the most minimum of jittering some times while scrolling across a large hi-res map.

My system is a 550 P3 currently with a GeForce II 64mb GTS.

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Actually thre biggest problem I have is woth mouse clicks and army placements.

The fps is still just fine with FSAA. By the way at 16-bit clor the best quality/performace you can get is 2x2 FSAA.

Not 2x2-low, as that will make things blurry.

I have an Athlon 850... CLAP2 GeForce 2 GTS

Thanks for all the info guys.

Madmatt do you run your desktop in the same resolution or did you just change the prefs file to run in 1280x960 ?

I just visited the Hercules site and 5.22 drivers are the latest....can i use Nvidea reference drivers on this card or should i wait for Hercules to update them?

I have changed my desktop back to 16 bit as per all your advice and i checked the box for "Force Antialiasing" I have a slider bar which is set to full, i don't have anything that says 2x2 or 4x4 or anything like that.

Cheers Guys,

CDIC

------------------

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Hi,

OK, i rebooted in the 16 bit desktop and forced the FSAA and yes the shimmering effect is so much more improved now - the scolling around is also much smoother.

Now i just need to work out if the reference drivers will work ok....i made the mistake on my TNT2 (Asus 16MB) to install Nvidia reference drivers and ended up having to re-install everything because Asus apparently use their own specific drivers!! Now, will this be the same for Hercules? Does anyone know for sure?

Madmatt do you own the same card?

Cheers

CDIC

------------------

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Guest Madmatt

Thats true to some extent Doug but with FSAA enabled you get a major reduction in the texture shimmering effect. You cant see this in still screenshots though.

I have a Prophet 64mb GTS GeForce II. The card I replaced was a Diamond Viper 770 Ultra TNT2.

Two of the best video cards I ever owned and I have had them all.

I even still have an old Righteous 3D voodoo card lying around some where.

For those of you that can remember that far (what was it 3 and half whole years!!! eek.gif ) that was the FIRST add-on 3D card follwoed by the Monster 3d and then the Pure 3d and a million other clones.

I had one of just about everyone. redface.gif

Madmatt

------------------

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

I always stick with nVidia reference driver. I personally don't give a damn about manufacuter's dirvers. BUT, people says CL has a very sweet control panel applet, but I have not tried it yet.

I don't see I need that FSAA. I am pretty much satisfied with the current vista.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> even still have an old Righteous 3D voodoo card lying around some where. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Da, my Orchid Rightegous 3D s still in my old Pentium 133 since I bought it for Ms Laura. I ve with me an old Pure3D II w/ me so that I can play Grand Prix Legends happily.

Griffin @ work -- place.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again frown.gif

[This message has been edited by GriffinCheng+ (edited 08-28-2000).]

Ok fellas,

Now i am getting jittery - I don't wanna screw up the new PC! But i will give it a go.

Anyone have a url where to get these Nvidia reference drivers?

Also - to up my screen resolution i know i have to delete the prefs file - but do i then have to reset my desktop resolution first or can i just enter the resolution i want to run it at the next time i start CM.

Last question - as i will be trying to use the reference drivers should i first uninstal the hercules driver or simply overwrite with the new one from Nvidia ?

Cheers

A nervous CDIC

------------------

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Captitalistdoginchina you can get the ref drivers from www.nvidia.com

Install the drivers and delete the preferences file. You should set your windows desktop resolution to the resolution you want to run Combat Mission in the next time you start it up as the game will query about weather you want the current desktop resolution first. Keep your old drivers handy incase you need to scrap the new ones for some strange reason. If all goes as planed just lean back and enjoy kickin butt in the new resolution! smile.gif

Marcus

I have the ELSA Gladiac Geforce 2 GTS card and I have a question. When I run it in 1024x768 16 bit mode with FSAA cranked all the way up, I notice that the unit data screens (ENTER KEY) are distorted and unreadable. Anyone else see this? I am using the Det 3 drivers (618)

TeAcH

Right, got the driver from the link above - too late to install tonight so will do so in the morning.

Thanks for all the advice.

Teach, i don't have that problem - i will let you know what happens after i install the new driver. Did it happen with your previous driver?

CDIC

------------------

J.V.Stalin, 1918

I read the info at Nvidia's site about the Detonator 3 driver......they say it is comp[atible with all TNT TNT2 & GeForce cards, so does that mean i can use the same driver for my Asus TNT 2 16MB card? Does anyone know? As i mentioned in an earlier post i tried a long time ago and had to re-install the Asus driver. Maybe i should have uninstalled it first.

CDIC

------------------

J.V.Stalin, 1918

CDIC - Yes you should be able to use the Detonator 3 with TNT and newer chipsets. The FSAA is only a feature on the GeForce chipsets though.

I would suggest doing an uninstall on the ASUS drivers for your video card (and you'll need to remove the .inf file for it from WINDOWS\INF\OTHER) and installing a plain SVGA driver. After this then install the nVidia reference driver.