Favorite German armor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bastables:

The StuG, it looks like something the Daleks would build smile.gif exterminate, exterminate smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFLMAO.... That brought back old memories of watching Doctor Who with my Grandmom.

Regards, John Waters

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TeAcH:

The Panther. All around champion. Question tho...were the PIVs really that pitiful?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No they wern't. They appear that way because like Shermans in CM, they rarely survive any length of time.

The good points with PzKpfw IVs were its reliability, mobility, its 7.5 cm gun was more then capable of dealing with the Sherman,& T-34 etc.

Now speaking in CM terms, its basicly crew quality & who gets the 1st hit. I always try to keep PzKpfw IV's back until they have eliminated the allied armor at the longest range possible.

And when I do move them I try to bring them around the flanks, while occuping the OPFOR with something else 8). I have found you can have a great day with PzKpfw IV's in CM or a REAL bad day, depending on the rolls 8P.

Hmmm,sounds like my experience with Panthers & Tiger's to 9).

Regards. John Waters

Hmmm... I think my favorite of all time in the physical appearance category would be the mighty Jagdpanther. But for functionality, which rules out the Jagdpanther because of it's limited traverse (i.e. no turret), I would have to go with the Panther G. In the fun and frolic category, the winner would have to be the Flammpanzer Hetzer... In the swimsuit category... oh wait a minute, that's just plain weird...

------------------

In fighting and in everyday life you should be determined though calm. Meet the situation without tenseness yet not recklessly, your spirit settled yet unbiased. An elevated spirit is weak and a low spirit is weak. Do not let the enemy see your spirit. -- M.M.

Probably the StuH 42 (late).

105mm cannon. Low profile. Fast. A deadly combo.

The Tiger I is pretty good too. Reletivly cheap also but they always seem to get knocked out too fast.

------------------

And if we abandon any platform, I can assure you it will not be the Macintosh.

-Steve

My website!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TeAcH:

The Panther. All around champion. Question tho...were the PIVs really that pitiful?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, I don't think so. I'll be posting more on this shortly...

Mein Gott... where have I been during this thread? (Answer, Telluride, business, with no CM, sniff...).

PzIV is my first love and a great buy for the money, errr, points. Its heyday had passed by CMBO but it's still a must-have. It is a little thin-skinned for long-range dueling in 44-45.

I'm liking Stug III and IV. I'm still experimenting with StuH but they have a future with me.

I'm not too big on uber-tanks because I don't think that many were used (compared to how we gamers tend to employ them), and I like the challenge of using "normal" vehicles. I agree also with the opinion that for their cost, one lucky hit can ruin your whole day, except in monster battles. I just don't have the time for many of those.

The biggest pleasant surprise for me has been the armored cars- the Puma, and the Spw with the 75mm as an infantry support vehicle. They are cheap with veteran crews and can pay huge dividends on the attack, if used properly.

I think the crew makes the difference, because Regulars bail from the latter very easily, even where there doesn't seem to be much threat to their not-insubstantial 30mm of frontal armor. Get them in close and you'll lose them, but as an intermediate-range follow-up and breakthrough kind of helper they seem like a good value.

Those weird little Brit T8-Bren carrier-family of runaround things (I don't deal with Brits much as of yet, preferring to kill them from afar) are a really different kind of threat on the battlefield and are kind of amazing. Have to experiment with them someday. They drive on the wrong side of the screen, of course, but I can see when they'd be right handy...

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright,

In the forrests of the night,

What immortal hand or eye,

Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

There's just something so solid and fearsome looking about the Tiger I. And, so far, when just about every late-war German tank has an armor strength percentage modifier tacked onto it, the Tiger I is always at 100%. That very slow turret is something of an annoyance, however...

As for the MkIV, it usually rates favorably when up against Shermans --- it's also one of the few German tanks with a medium turret speed.

For AT or general work, I'll take the Panther any day for all the reasons stated many times before.

When facing infantry with no or little AT threat, the Wirblewind or Ostwind are truly "Uber", IMHO.

Of course, if I'm playing as the allies, my favorite German armor is the kind with extra ventilation holes.... smile.gif

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

Still the same as the last poll The Hetzer, looks good great sloping armour useful gun and value for money. the first scenario I played had a Hetzer took some M4 & TDs and fared well, aways buy at least in every QB, and got a liking for the Lynx.

Ron

[This message has been edited by Blackwood (edited 07-24-2000).]

Guest herbjorn

The front armour of the Jagdtiger is very impressive. The Jagdpanther is my favourite tank though.

The last battle I played, was an allied attack, with me defending as Germans. 1000p

1xKompanie GebirgsJäger

2xHetzer

1xPz IVJ

4xMG42 heavy machinegun

2xsharpshooters

4xpüpchen

1xpanzerab..600

I used the IVJ to go down a valley and appear behind his armour. My sharpshooters had knocked out the anti-tank teams that were guarding the rear of the tanks. The IVJ knocked out two sherman 76mm before they could turn to fase it. They were being distracted by the püpchens. The hetzers were mostly hiding behind houses, because of the difficult terrain of the map. The IVJ impressed me, though.

[This message has been edited by herbjorn (edited 07-25-2000).]

The broken record that I am chimes in once again to sing the virtues of the Jagdpanzer IV, particularly the Lang. Put into a good hull-down, ambush position, and it is a tough little bugger. With frontal armor a match for the Panther's, it is a great vehicle for the money in my book. Not the best on the offensive though, of course and they really need infantry protection since the MG42 is not modelled.

A confession. I used to be a great fan of the Pz IV. I was always the champion of the underappreciated underdog of German armor. While the Panther and Tiger got all the glory the Pz IV was always hiding in the background. BECAUSE THEY WERE MADE OF BALSA WOOD!

CM has taught me just how weak these guys are. Stuarts kill them with impunity. Cromwells have found something they can kill. Jabos eat them for dessert.

To truly learn the value of a Pz IV, play the Viller Bocage operation or Chambois as the Germans. Watch them die like flies. Learn to truly appreciate the majesty of a Panther.

Any tank putting more breathing holes in germanboys troops, I personaly don't like those speed holes with my tanks. But mostly I like the Tiger (late) it kicks ass, I also find it lasts longer then the King Tiger.. wierd. (my experience only I guess).

And it soooo cuuute! wink.gif

---------

"i souport publik edekasion."

-- Bumper sticker

[This message has been edited by mensch (edited 08-01-2000).]

My favorite German armor is a Kubelwagon with a keg of ice cold Oberdorfer in the front seat, and Frau Helga and her 2 big friends in the back wink.gif

You boys go play on the battlefield with your nice toys, i'm parking underneath the big tree. Shooo...go on now, i'll be fine wink.gif

------------------

The dead know only one thing - it is better to be alive

Ive been thinking for a while about this now and with every post i think 'but i like that one aswell'. though my heart lies with the sleek hetzer, for purely being a mean-ass tank the Tiger wins, its never going to win any all round tank awards but you just have to look at it ( i have a model on my comp) and you think'hers a tank thats purely there for blowing the *&^@ out of other tanks.....beautiful

Ive been thinking for a while about this now and with every post i think 'but i like that one aswell'. though my heart lies with the sleek hetzer, for purely being a mean-ass tank the Tiger wins, its never going to win any all round tank awards but you just have to look at it ( i have a model on my comp) and you think'hers a tank thats purely there for blowing the *&^@ out of other tanks.....beautiful