To all those people that didn't see the point in TCP/IP over PBEM

You have got to try it.

I consider myself the biggest TCP/IP crybaby on the board. I just finished my first TCP/IP game. Any of you people who argued with me that they didn't see what the big deal with TCP/IP was and that they preferred PBEM, you HAVE to try it. It takes the game to a whole new level. It plays damn near as quickly as playing vs the AI. The flow of the game combined with playing a real human can't be beaten. I set the timer for 10 minutes per turn and we never came close to running out of time. 20 turn game in about 2 hours.

This is what I have always dreamt of...thank you thank you thank you BTS.

Love,

Elvis

------------------

What do we do with a terrible liar? Well, Great liars we send into the clergy.

Good liars we groom for politics. Moderate liars we supply with sherrif's badges

and guns, and the bad liars, well, we make them heroin whores. So what the hell

do we do with the Terrible Liars? Well, it seems we turn them into physicists

called "chrisl." Peng

First I am not skeptical but my problem is in my time zone, there are not so many opfor to play online. PBEM seems okay for me for I cannot afford to spend 2 hrs each nite after work. (But I will if I get a chance to) So I think I am going to be an occaion online player. I think it is definitely better than CC.

I am stuck in work-place right now so I cannot test how much fun it would be. frown.gif

BTW, I am one of those who voted CM release first then TCP/IP patch later wink.gif

Griffin.

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

Guest KwazyDog

Griffin, remember that you can easily swap between TCPIP and PBEM. This means you can quite easily start a game in PBEM, do a few turns in TCPIP when you have the time, and then swap back to PBEM.

It works very well actually smile.gif

Dan

Definately. I found a game in about 5 minutes. I played 2 games in about 3 hours while it has taken me almost 3 weeks to complete my current pbem game.

------------------

"My center is giving way, my right is in retreat; situation excellent. I shall attack." - Ferdinand Foch to General Joffre during the Battle of Marne.

Guest MantaRay

Being a big propenet of it from the start, I have to say that it is effortless and now I will play a lot more against people now. This game is twice as good now and the best thing is they can now move on to CM2.

Ray

ok, please explain to me...

not trying to spoil your TCP/IP frenzy, but...

I am under the impression / assuming, that TCP/IP h2h files will have the same size as the PBEM ones. So tell me where the big kick is in waiting RealTime for 15 minutes while your modem transfers the 1.5 MB of your last turn? I don't see the big advantage over PBEM. I mean I can just as easily transfer via email and notify the other via icq...or am I wrong somewhere?

damn I dopn't really care about TCP/IP I'm just mad that BTS spent so much time on something that seems superfluous to me while they completely ignored the scoring eror mad.gif

The TCP\IP patch is pretty good. After a few games I am not disappointed. I went a perfect 2-0, so I may have over looked any problems with my joy in victory,hehehe

Seriously, it is good, its a minute or 2 in-between turns,but I also have a slow connection of 26400.Even at that speed its worth playing and highly recommended.

Guest KwazyDog

"I am under the impression / assuming, that TCP/IP h2h files will have the same size as the PBEM ones."

Yup, actaully you are wrong there smile.gif

I dont know the detils, but I do know that the file size is indeed smaller due to certain tricks Charles did, thus is it considerable faster to transfer. Also, both players are giving orders and watch at the same time, to turn resolution is all round much faster.

And I thought we got rid of that frown! smile.gif As I mentioned, lets not forget guys that this but both a *beta* patch, and primarily a *TCPIP* patch.

Dan

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 11-29-2000).]

When you enter your kingdom, Elvis...remember me.

------------------

An another thing...Ah've go' ten gams on at the moment, boot Ah've sain more mooves out o' a geriatric Japanese peasant lassie! If'n mah opponent's nae climbin' Ben Everest, they're gaddin' aboot some tank museum in Moscow! Yoo that are laift, send mae a bloody turrrn, ye cowerring swine! - OGSF

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Epée:

----TCP/IP is beautiful.----

Epée

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Epee

We WILL finish our game

I have it auto saved

and I look forwrd to duking it out for the last 3 minutes

it was a 20 minute quicky and we were at about turn 17

later today?

-tom w

YES TCP/IP is a THING of beauty

"Its Mother Beautiful CODE! and its GONNA be there"

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 11-29-2000).]

M Hofbauer, I started this thread because I had heard those concerns before and wanted to make people who feared those things feel at ease. Two things for you to think about:

1) Which takes you less time to play, a file transfer game or one against the AI? The TCP/IP game MAY have taken 5 minutes, TOTAL time, to play than one against the AI. It really feels no slower than playing the AI. If you have spent an hour or two sending files back and forth and you are fast you can maybe get in 6 turns in 2 hours. In that time with TCP/IP you could play an entire 20 turn game and be 5 turns into your next game.

2) I understand many people (myself included) play mulitple games via file transfer on some nights. But for this point lets say you are only playing one person one game. While you are waiting to receive the file back what are you doing? Checking out the board? Walking the plants, watering the dog ect..With TCP/IP while you are waiting for the other player you are playing the game at the same time they are and sending realtime taunts as the movie unfolds before you. You are not waiting for anything. Even while you are waiting for the other player to click GO you are checking out the terrain and surveying the map in anticipation of your next turns plot. As I said in point #1 the only difference you feel in playing TCP/IP instead of the AI is that you are playing a human who is usually making better decisions than the AI.

From you comments I think you might not fully understand how a TCP/IP game is played. Do yourself a big favor and check it out. It is not "superfluous" at all, it could be THE best improvement made to date on the game. When you try it you will see what I mean.

------------------

What do we do with a terrible liar? Well, Great liars we send into the clergy.

Good liars we groom for politics. Moderate liars we supply with sherrif's badges

and guns, and the bad liars, well, we make them heroin whores. So what the hell

do we do with the Terrible Liars? Well, it seems we turn them into physicists

called "chrisl." Peng

Thanks for the encouragment.

I think I can go with anybody who is not having PBEM an interplay session.

I am going to give it a shot, sometime Fri or Sat after 2200 HKT. See u in opponent finder forum. In the meantime, I will try it first with Griffin-Mac....

------------------

"When you find your PBEM opportents too hard to beat, there is always the AI."

"Can't get enough Tank?"

I am one of the Luddites who was not very excited about the network play patch. PBEM was good enough for my forefathers, and, by God, it was good enough for me!

Having played a couple of QB's this morning against the esteemable SS Panzerleader, utilizing the network patch, I can now say with great certainty that I was dumb before. I now see the light.

Praise be to BTS in the highest!!

cheers

chaos

"Yup, actaully you are wrong there I dont know the detils, but I do know that the file size is indeed smaller due to certain tricks Charles did, thus is it considerable faster to transfer."

ok, I concede then that under this premise indeed TCVP/IP has an advantage.

everybody, I might try TCP/IP some day, I am not AGAINST it, I was just worried/annoyed that a lot of effort was made to cater to the TCP crowd while most basic game issues, like the score, had not been worked out (which would probably require much less effort).

Lindan: ack I know, hadn't thought of it, soince I never played the PBEMs that way. you see, for ICQ you need the other person to stay online (=a la TCP/IP) while I prefer sending back and forth the PBEM on daily / bi-daily basis or so. So icq would not work, but email arrives even if the other person is not online (you see?).

Elvis: While you are waiting to receive the file back what are you doing? Checking out the board? Walking the plants, watering the dog ect..

depends on how you play. I admit I see this / wrote this from the perspective of a person that doesn't do such CM online sessions; from my perspective, if you play, say, one turn per day, well, in the meantime you ARE walking the plants, watering the dog - going to work, going shopping, entertaining the Ms etc - basically living your life. You see, you are not dependant on the PBEM file return; when you get home, it's there. It may have arrived 23 hrs ago or just 10 minutes ago - IT DOES NOT MATTER.

however, if your shtick is to play a quick game, in one piece all the way through, in a dedicated 1 or 2 hour session, then you are probably right, TCP/IP is probably just the right thing for you, even a tad bit beter than the icq workaround.

again, don't wanna spoil your TCP-hype, I might give it a try some day, too. ut I won't DL a beta patch if I have to DL it again later just so I can have TCP in the meantime. I am looking for other things which fortunately will be in the patch smile.gif

------------------

"Im off to NZ police collage" (GAZ_NZ)

[This message has been edited by GAZ_NZ (edited 11-29-2000).]

[This message has been edited by M Hofbauer (edited 11-29-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

FYI, the 'tricks' that makes TCP/IP transfer faster than PBEM are:

1. TCP/IP doesn't have to send the entire set of gama data - just what has changed. PBEM has to send the whole thing, since it's loaded "cold".

2. PBEM must convert all data to 'text' so it can be emailed properly. This means that every 3 bits of real data are encoded into 4 bits of text - a 33% inefficiency. TCP/IP does not have this restriction.

Just thought you might like to know. smile.gif

Charles

Guest Big Time Software

FYI, the 'tricks' that makes TCP/IP transfer faster than PBEM are:

1. TCP/IP doesn't have to send the entire set of gama data - just what has changed. PBEM has to send the whole thing, since it's loaded "cold".

2. PBEM must convert all data to 'text' so it can be emailed properly. This means that every 3 bits of real data are encoded into 4 bits of text - a 33% inefficiency. TCP/IP does not have this restriction.

Just thought you might like to know. smile.gif

Charles

I have a 56k modem and a cable modem. I read in the readme that you might not be able to host a game. I tried to host a game and indeed my screen froze. I had no trouble connecting to someone else's game. Will this be fixed in the final patch or should I just disconnect my 56k modem which I am not using anyways?

Just to reiterate on how cool the new form of play is.

Did a 500 point quick battle last night. Set the turn limit to 5 minutes. I believe we completed the game in 45 minutes, tops. So you see, you dont have to commit 2 hours to playing a game. Obvisouly the scale will have an impact on length.

Of course PBEM is good too....but I can tell you (now) that it can't even compare in the intensity level that network play gives. That 5 minute timer keeps you on your toes!

Best of all of course is that you can alternate between PBEM, HotSeat, and network, You have the best of both worlds.

My .02

Guest Madmatt

iggi, read those docs a little closer. You should be able host fine assuming your cable modem gets a true IP address from your providor. Whats you home rig setup like? Any hubs/router etc... other system sharing connections?

The game should NEVER freeze, you would have gotten an error message if it wasnt going to work. Please test this again and host a game and have someone try to connect. Make sure you are giving them the IP that your cable modem is using.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 11-29-2000).]