How Many Units Can You Have???

Guest Rollstoy

Well, Peiper ...

One grandfather of mine was flewn out of Stalingrad with appendicitis just before the **** hit the fan. He eventually became a POW in Italy.

My other grandfather was shot up by partisans during a night patrol in Greece. He received the Iron Cross because he saved his platoon from stepping into an ambush. Later on he was again hit while onboard of a lazarett (!) train. He survived both the initial lung shot as well as multiple wounds on his arms.

This was a bad, bad time ... for everybody!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JOCHEN PEIPER:

I actually study architecture at university. Although I have done legal studies.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OOoh! Something that demands intellect and objective, analytical skills.

------------------

Only the enemy in front, every other bugger behind.

- unofficial motto of the British Infantry Reconnaissance Corps, W.W.II

JP,

Wait a minute. Now this is my 30th post and I was gong to save it for something special but when I saw the term "F**K Americans" your post just became the reciepent of my 30th post. First off JP I think you have a lot of enthusiasm and that is good. Also the pride you feel in your family is great and I have no doubt that your grandfather deserves the praise that you give him. My Grandfather was also in WWII in the Pacific Theater. And I am horribly proud of him. But I doubt either of our grandfathers would like to hear us saying that we love war. I am personally going to attain a bachelors in History focusing on WWII and constantly preach that it is probably one of the most dynamic times in history. I have found much enjoyment studying and simulating (through games) WWII. But I would give up all that enjoyment in a heartbeat if I could make the war never happen. Yes I know America's world power was largely based from WWII but I still don't think it worth the loss of life. Second you seem to always seem to be edgy that we might label you grandfather and your family as evil because of Nazi Germany. That we will stereotype you, of course then you go and stereotype the Americans. I am an American and an ardent supporter of my country. But you are overcompensating. We have people all over the world playing this game and until today I had not heard one remark that was remotely as attacking as yours was. I know you must be frustrated with what seems to be a constant barrage but take a look from the other side. Just as a side note I play the Germans all the time and preferred Panzer General over Allied General because the German side was much more interesting in those games. Honor your German heritage, heck use the knowledge you have to enlighten this forum, but if you want respect from these people here then do it without all the negative slander. This is a great group of people that have a lot of info to share. Join them don't clash with them. Hope this seemed level headed. I'll make you a deal: i'll refrain from slandering your heritage and you from mine. When you get the game email me (its in my profile) and if you want we will PBEM. Later

------------------

Sir are you sure you want to go to red alert...it would mean changing the bulb

-Priest

[This message has been edited by Priest (edited 07-28-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Priest (edited 07-28-2000).]

Well on my fathers side i had english relatives fighting... and my fathers Australian uncle was shot by a sniper in NEW GUINEA and was brought back to Australia wounded... he died a few months later...

As for my grandfather in the SS, I never really new him nor remember much of him anymore, and he obviously did'nt tell my mother much about his war experiences as when i asked her about it she said that he never spoke of it...

By the way he also won the Iron Cross, however it was looted. By the Russians I expect.

Jochen,

Honestly I can't really make you out. Obviously you're very proud of your grandfather in the SS ( BTW the division he was part of was particularly noted for brutal killings of civies during anti-partisan operations .. Probably one reason he wouldn't talk about his service too much... ) BUT that doesn't give you the right to come onto the forum and act obstreperously and cause offence to a great number of people.

I REALLY think you need to tone your comments down a LOT. We have people from many different countries here with relatives who fought on all sides of the second world war ( and other more recent wars) and who all try to take pains not to let what happened 50 years ago to their grandparents start major flame wars here and now.

Just one comment:

You said " BUT does anyone know that over 50 MILLION people have died under COMMUNISM, NO. Thats right protect your own interests and hush up your allies mistakes.."

1. I'm quite sure that the vast majority of old-time posters here know far more about the specifics of deaths under communist rule than you AND you really shouldn't be jumping to conclusions about ignorance her2.

2. You shouldn't assume everyone here is American. We're not.

3. The US didn't "cover up" anything as regards Soviet actions. Hell, from the day Japan surrendered the Soviet Union was the US' no. 1 enemy.

So, I'd have to say that this statement, as well as several others from you, is patently factually flawed.

As an aside... I wonder why you're so angry and so "fortright" ? Fortrightness and honesty is always admirable BUT silly statements like " I want to recreat the Malmedy massacre" etc are just offensive. If you want to know the kind of hell your grandad went through ( and why he probably wouldn't speak about what he did) you should walk into a little village sometime with a few of your buddies, round up the men, women and kids and put them up against a wall and shoot them.

Welcome to the "glamour" of war.

I wasn't talking about YOU Disaster, sheesh all you Canadians are alike, butting into all the discussions ... just like my wife ... who was born in Canada ... in Saskatchewan ... a town called Climax biggrin.gif

I always wanted to ask her dad if he went through Intercourse, Pennsylvania first but I never had the nerve.

Joe

Just for your interest JP. My grandfather was in the Wehrmacht as many other of my relatives. My great grandmother was executed by the nazis while her sisters son was in the NSDAP. I have lived in Germany, Holland, USA and right now in Sweden and I do not share your wonderful view of the Americans but I guess you met every American that I didn´t meet.

It is my experience that many people who hasn´t been to the US have some strange love/hate relationship towards Americans.

They watch the films from the US but at the same time the claim that the films from the US suck.

They ask for the US to help them in different conflicts but then always have something to complain about.

I´m quite sure that the Americans are just as good or bad as you and me JP and I do think you wouldn´t mind if the GI´s came to help you when you would need it.

Phew! This was a lot of bull from me but I can´t help it!

Take it easy JP and maybe you´ll some friends at the forum, even though they might be Americans...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Los:

There is a limit to the amount of units you can have, I hit that limit in the Carentan operation, it's a couple of regiments. Tops.

Los<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

{back on topic}

Los, don't you mean a couple of battalions? I tried clicking on three battalions to get a full regiment and I only got a bit of the third battalion.

Jason

JP , i fought right beside the Australians in VN, i guess you ozzies were butting in where you weren't wanted also. And i'm sure that on an island to the north of you , there are some who feel Australia is still butting in where its not wanted.

And as far as loving war , war is man at his worst!!!

Guest MantaRay

JP, well being the true red, white, and blue American that I am, I must say that not only have you crossed the line stating this, but you have also shown just how stupid a person can be when he is thousands of miles away and not able to get rebutted in a proper fashion.

I do have to ask how you have come to the conclusion that you love war? It is apparent that you have never been even close to military service, let alone any combat situation beyond running around with your BB gun shooting at poor kangaroos. So how in god's name can you love war? I guess when they dont shoot back, it is easier to swallow.

And that VN crack was just the sign of someone who couldnt find wind in a hurricane.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

New CM Site. In process of switching. Brought to you by Hardcore Gamers Daily

Hardcore Gamers Daily

JP-

As an American myself, I'm continually bemused by the attitudes many folks who post on WWII historical fora have towards residents of the U.S. I'm not so naive that I can't see that the U.S. is an easy target - we are.

But I always wonder exactly what gents like yourself (I am assuming you've never actually lived in the U.S.) see as so Evil or Bad about America that you feel it necessary to be such an incredible choad.

I myself might want to make fun of Eskimos because they have 47 different words for or 'snow' - maybe I think that's ridiculous. But you know what? I don't even know if that's true. I have never met an Eskimo or Inuit or anyone that speaks their language, so it's pretty hard for me to make a judgement call there.

And even if I did know such a person and found out it was true, I would be very careful about where I spilled my opinions. Opinions are often very private things, best kept to oneself.

So anyway, I'm curious; what exact beef or gripe do you have with the U.S.?

-dale

[This message has been edited by dalem (edited 07-29-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>

You take everything so seriously, and you always butt-into where your not

wanted...

E.g. Vietnam, Korea Should I keep going...

And for all those in the past discussions who actually took a shot at my

Grandfather who is dead and cant defend himself... take a look at your history...

OH YEAH! everyone remembers the holochaust, 6 million jews murdered...

BUT does anyone know that over 50 MILLION people have died under COMMUNISM,

NO.

Thats right protect your own interests and hush up your allies mistakes..

THATS WHAT AMERICANS ARE GOOD AT.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOOOOOWOOOOOWOOOOOO!!! CONFLICTING STATEMENT POLICE, OPEN UP!!

First you say the US butts into other people's business, then you go on to mention the horrors of communism, the thing the both wars you mentioned were fought to defend against.

Sheesh!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JOCHEN PEIPER:

F#CK, you americans are so touchy...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

1st: a good deal of the Forum members isn't, nor have they ever been, American.

2nd: My grandfather was in the Wehrmacht. MIA on the Eastern Front. Apart from being my grandfather, he was also on what is widely considered (also by me) to be the "wrong side."

Just my $0.02

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NCrawler:

Yes you can. I do it all the time...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? Frankly, I never thought to try. Seems like a waste of ammo, in sim terms.

------------------

Will

---

"The truly great thing is not to lose your nerve." --Unknown.