Never Forget Pearl Harbour Dec 7 1941

I guess as a Canadian this perhaps should not be the first thing I think of when I wake on Dec 7, but it was still a dreadful and sneaky surprise attack and we should all not forget the lessons learned from those who were not prepared.

I will remember all the killed and wounded from that attack for their courage and bravery.

Lest we not forget.

-tom w

[This message has been edited by aka_tom_w (edited 12-07-2000).]

This is a day when each of us should seek out a WWII veteran, and thank them for the efforts and the sacrifice made by their generation. Which, we are the direct benefactors of, both in terms of prosperiety and freedoms of choice. Without which we might all be living in a world too horrible to imagine.

When the Vietnam War Memorial, (The Wall), was errected in DC, I attended the dedication ceremony. And chose to wear my tunic which still had the patches and medals from the war. I was stunned when throughout that day, ordinary folks normally otherwise busy with their day on both the metro subway and along the streets (no where near the memorial), grabbed my hand and thanked me for my generation's effort and sacrifice. I will never forget that experience and it made me proud to have served.

Today, perform a simple act of gratitude. Find a WWII vet, and tell them your grateful for their service.

------------------

"Gentlemen, you may be sure that of the three courses

open to the enemy, he will always choose the fourth."

-Field Marshal Count Helmuth von Moltke, (1848-1916)

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 12-07-2000).]

I do not believe this post is a historical presentation but is rather a political commentary. I regret having to raise the ugly specter of politics but this specific event is often whitewashed and legitimized by political rhetoric.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

it was still a dreadful and sneaky surprise attack and we shoud all not forget the lessons learned by from who were not prepared.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go Ahead and warm those flames. I am a former US Marine who does mourn and sympathize with all participants in this battle.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I will remember all the killed and wounded from that attack for their courage and bravery.

Lest we not forget.

-tom w<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do you appreciate Tom's positive intentions in creating this post.

Later,

Muzzlehead

Instead of watching the new movie "Pearl Harbor", rent Tora! Tora! Tora! Far better for it represents both the US and Japanese Perspectives and it's certainly not a propaganda movie. The Japanese side speaks in Japanese with English Subs. If you can, rent it on DVD, the quality is superb.

------------------

If all men are brothers, like the seas throughout the world; So why do winds and waves clash so fiercely?"

- Emperor Hirohito (1940)

I always remeber PH Day! (cause it is my birthday as well!).

Pearl Harbor may not have been the "surprise" that we Americans have been lead to believe over these many years. Yes, it was a surprise, but the Ambassador was supose to deliver the notice before the attack took place. Japan knew the Americans would be a tough nut to crack and their only real chance was to knock out the American Navy in one shot. They almost succeeded too well.

------------------

Are you gonna pull them pistols? Or whistle Dixie? --- Josey Wales

Bah... It is all still up to speculation as to whether the Japanese intentionally delayed the declaration of war or if it was an honest mistake.

If ya want to go really out there, there are some who believe that the US knew Japan was going to attack and that we let them so we could get into the war.

Blah blah blah...

Who cares HOW it started? Lets be glad it is over and lets us not forget.

Jeff

Let me tell you what I heard in work today.It really moved me: there is a church in the area, northern New Jersey, where a young artist was painting a mural behind an altar. After the bombing of Pearl Harbor, when FDR declared war, this artist was either drafted or enlisted into the army. He did not come home. He was declared MIA somehere in Europe.

To this day the mural stands unfinished in the state that the young artist left it in.

As he was leaving for the army he visited the church pastor and promised to finish the mural when he came back from the war. To honor the artists memory the pastor and congregation decided to leave the mural the way it looked the day the artist painted his last stroke.

When I overheard this story it just floored me.

------------------

What do you know about surfing, you're from New Jersey !

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Suicides-by-Steve:

Ummm- we already have a day where we're supposed to go out and thank a veteran- it's called Rememberance Day in Canada, and Veteren's day in the States- Lest we forget... *sigh* What's next- Normandy Landing day?!

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're overlooking a small point...December 7th isn't an official holiday like Veteran's Day or Memorial Day or Remembrance Day. As the man said, Dec. 7th is a day that has lived in infamy, and serves as a reminder that eternal vigilance is needed in a hostile world.

Besides, you can never have too many reminders to "remember."

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Elijah Meeks: You rock, Croda<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, hail to all the heroic Japanese airmen which given their lives when attacking the sleeping giant.

BTW, can I remind to bring out a CM-game for the pacific theatre?

[This message has been edited by Scipio (edited 12-08-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Scipio (edited 12-08-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Croda:

As the man said, Dec. 7th is a day that has lived in infamy, and serves as a reminder that eternal vigilance is needed in a hostile world.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Croda,

Thats sort of what I was getting at.

I couldn't have said it better myself,

but that's what I meant.

-tom w

aka_tom_w Thank you for this post. I was going to do one like it, I'm glad someone beat me to it. What a time for U.S. or the world for that matter. Its hard to fathom life as it must have then (39-45). Just hearing the news from the war crackling over the radio. Count your blessings all.

------------------

Semper Fi.