OT: Elevator crash preparation

I work on the 45th floor, and our elevators are the worst ever. They creak, groan, hiccup, drop sharply every so often, and desparately need repair.

So every time I get in one, I try and prepare myself for the fateful drop. I bend my knees so my legs don't lock up and snap like twigs. I also lean up against the wall and hold onto a small rail, but I have been questioning this tactic. Is it better to be leaning forward? Slump against the wall? Hmmm...

I figure with all the Geezertruppen on this board, someone must have been in an elevator crash at some point. Any suggestions?

Lie perfectly flat and on your back so if the elevator does plummet the force of the landing is distributed evenly throughout your body.

It's really your best and only chance for survival.

Sucks to be you,

Jeff

------------------

I once killed a six pack just to watch it die.

there is some sort of a safety mechanism required in elevators...they have bumper coil springs, double cables and all.

so don't worry. else take the stairs. 45th sounds like a healthy exercise to me.

bottom line: don't panic. Using an elevator is as safe as driving around a battlefield in a Pz IV...uhm..wait a minute, lemme re-phrase that...

------------------

"Im off to NZ police collage" (GAZ_NZ)

If I can recall correctly, there has only been one recorded incidence of an elevator plummeting a great height and killing all the occupants. This was some considerable time ago as all elevators are now designed and built to certain safety standards.

That said, I suppose it's time for another elevator accident somewhere in this world.

My advice to you is either:

i) take the stairs (at 45 floors this will be extremely good exercise, and take most of your day), or

ii) follow these well known procedures in case of plummet: put head between knees and kiss backside bye bye!

Hope this Helps biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Mace (edited 12-21-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mace:

...That said, I suppose it's time for another elevator accident somewhere in this world.

...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Crap, that's funny!

Almost makes up for you taking the damned CessPool to OddStralia

------------------

WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! WARNING! -

THIS SIG FILE BELONGS TO A COMPLETE FOO.

MR T WOULDN'T BE SO KIND AS TO WRINKLE AN EYEBROW AT THIS UNFORTUNATE BEING. PLEASE OFFER HIS PARENTS AND COHABITANTS ALL SYMPATHY POSSIBLE. MAY BE CONTAGIOUS. CONTAINS ARTIFICIAL SWEETNER, INTELLIGENCE AND WIT. STAND WELL CLEAR AND LIGHT WICK. BY ORDER PETERNZ

Damn Croda. That is one funny sig!!!

must suck to be you - Hiram Sedai

Jump up right before the elevator hits...

Of course this means you will have to cut a hole in the floor, which means that on top of the elevator falling now you will have to watch out not to fall through...

so mabey climb up through the escape hatch on the top of the elevator then grab on to a cable or something..

------------------

Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack. --Gen. Patton

I expect if you found yourself inside a plummeting elevator, you wouldn't be able to adopt a particular position on the floor, because you'd be suspended in mid-air or pressed against the ceiling. Then when it hit the bottom, you would smack onto the floor at high velocity and be reduced to a thin film of froth scattered with fragments of bone. Even better, the elevator might rebound on impact, thus meeting you coming down as it bounces back up.

Have a nice ride. =)

David

Hey ST -

From the looks of things, you probably don't have to worry much about the elevator plummeting 45 floors. Sounds like good news but...

It's my understanding that a number of people are killed because of accidents that occur trying to get out of a stuck elevator.

Here are some random links you might want to take a look at...

http://www.tennessean.com/sii/00/08/29/hammond29.shtml http://www.council.nyc.ny.us/newswire/elevator.htm http://news.oneclick.gr/news/36250.html

Please be careful.

------------------

Steve of BTS - "With a company our size, every sale does in fact count (unlike every vote in certain assbackwards states biggrin.gif)."

[This message has been edited by Sitting Duck (edited 12-22-2000).]

Check the US FHM magazine this month, they answer that question. lie back on the elevator floor is the correct one.

Jumping up before it crash wont do nothing cause you are falling at the same speed as the elevator (really fast), unless you can jump up as fast as you are falling which theorically not possible.

Guest MantaRay

I say find the fat person in the elevator, push him or her to the ground and jump on top of them. That outta provide some measure of padding. smile.gif

Glad I could provide the correct answer.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

New CM Site. In process of switching. Brought to you by Hardcore Gamers Daily

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder

Holy Mackeral! Are you trying to scare me to death Sitting Duck? I went through the links you posted, and now I get cold sweats everytime I go near the elevator.

But now, thanks to everyone's advice, I believe I am ready for "THE FALL". When I go to work, or am leaving work, I wait around in the lobby for an obese person. They have to be 300+ for me to ride the elevator. I get in first and then put my back to the wall, directly behind my designated mattress. Sometimes I have to wedge myself behind the person to get them into the position, which has resulted in some embarrassing moments. But of course, safety comes first. Then as the elevator sets in motion, I begin jumping up and down, trying to time the moment when the cable snaps and we begin our plummet. If, and this hasn't happened yet, the elevator goes, I will jump onto my chosen savior's back, and push us both to the floor.

Of course, I may just transfer to our office in New Hampshire. There are no buildings with more than two floors there, and I'm betting I could handle that sort of fall.

Thanks,

ST

Hey, take the frieght elevator. I notice those are the only elevator equiped with those crash pads. biggrin.gif

Hey, ST the battle against VA is still being waged. I lost another Sherm but my foot soldiers are holding up just fine. 95% morale on turn 12 of 30. Hopefully them lousy southerns won't see this. biggrin.gif Go Minuteman!

Hey Bfam,

I haven't heard from Fogman for a couple of days, so our battle has slowed down a bit, although I think we are around 20+ turns in. I sent you the screen shot of my beachhead right? Well the breakout is coming up.

I haven't heard from Xscreamist in a while, but I think he is still with us. I know there are other Massachusetts players on the board now, but I haven't had any joiners lately. I wish we could gather some troops, because I would love to get some battles going with the Red Army and the Englanders.

-ST

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sensible Toad:

I haven't heard from Fogman for a couple of days'.....

I haven't heard from Xscreamist in a while, ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps they were in the same elevator, but didn't know the safety drill?

Mace

Well.. You can always try the advice given to the Right Honorable James Hacker MP...

Try to land on your head. It's quicker.

NTM

------------------

The difference between infantrymen and cavalrymen is that cavalrymen get to die faster, for we ride into battle!

Hmm I think you'll be safe in those elevators wink.gif By law, since an Elevator is a commercial product (or some **** like that), its built to hold 5x what the worst case scenario is. (Worst case scenario is jamming as many people into the elevator as possible, literally, not just standing). Hope that makes you feel safe.

IMHO, your best bet is to give up on survival entirely, and just play CM on a laptop during the ride up.

Fiddle while Rome burns!

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska