Kelly's Heros Experts

my guess about the SPR tigers, which I have heard is wrong, is that they were hollywood made mockups of the real thing. (its been done before; the tank in Indiana Jones, the Last Crusade was made and even driven off of a cliff.)

If I recall, the SPR tigers even had interlevied road wheels. I dunno what they could have "dressed up" to make 'em look that real.

------------------

busboy

CO, 99th Dragons

A Warbirds Squadron

'We will heat you up'

"It is well that war is so terrible, else we would grow too fond of it."

-Robert E. Lee

In the "After The Battle" #103, they talk about how they made the Tigers in Saving Private Ryan. It doesn't say where they got the idea to use T34s. A company called Plus Film Services apparently already had "worked out the best feasibility plan to convert two Soviet T34s....". This tells me they, or someone in their organization, had already done this. Since the special effects in Kelly's Hereos earned an Oscar nomination, you would think Spielberg would look towards a companay that had people in it with that kind of rep.

I have both movies on DVD and they did a better job on Ryan's Tigers. But they are both obvouisly T34 suspension. They chopped up the T34's pretty good for Ryan, according to the article and they used the Tiger at Bovington for all the measurements.

Regardless, it was more pleasing in both movies to see the effort made to make them look real, unlike other movies (i.e. Battle of the Bulge "King Tigers")

I was crushed to find out they weren’t real Tigers. Like it was said before at least they made an effort and did give me the feel of how formidable the Tiger is.

There was a thread on this awhile back, maybe last spring, where this was discussed in detail. I remember one of the points about the Tigers in Kelly's Hero's was the turret was way to far forward.

The thread goes on to discuss the drive sprockets and a lot of good grognard stuff.

[This message has been edited by Ted (edited 12-12-2000).]

Gentlemen:

I second ltjimbob's comments!

I recently had the opportunity to poke around the tank park at Aberdeen and take some pictures. I'm in the process of putting up a small site that will show off some of the tanks, along with their CM counterparts. I thought the CM community would get a kick out of seeing how accurate and well done the CM models truly are!

Concerning the Saving Private Ryan "Tiger" question:

I compared my photos of a genuine Soviet T-34 with a DVD of SPR (my finger on the pause button). As ltjimbob stated, the wheels and treads of the SPR tank are absolutely and clearly identifiable as those of a T-34. But the moviemakers spruced up the hull and turret so incredibly well...! Everyone should tip their hats to S. Spielberg and the SPR folks for doing their homework.

I'll try and post a comparison picture of the T-34 and a still photo from SPR, and you'll see how much work they did. Simply amazing!

Yay CM!

-Joshik

I remember an old thread on those tigers in KH. I think the chasis is a christie style and that they were a postwar imported British tank( not sure of which type) into Tito's fledgling government in the late 40's. The movie company used the tanks and dressed them up for the tiger look. I could be wrong but I think this has been discussed already...

Kelly's Heroes was actually an anti-war drama / comedy made on a relatively low budget in Yugoslavia (no Unions). The writer / director was in the 35th Infantry Division during World War Two and unlike the current "Great Generation" he thought the whole experience of fighting under Patton sucked. He was nearly blown up in the Bocage, survived being hit by a mortar barrage by his own unit, and generally did not like the experience of fighting in Europe one bit. You can sort of trace the guy's experience through out the movie.

Most of the extras in the movie were from the Yugoslavian Army. I have heard the village is in Bosnia and was the site of a massacre by Serbs and burned down, but this may be urban legend.

Guest Napoleon1944

Stealth,

I have a Kellys Heros Operation almost ready. This will make a nice Christmas present. I have to work out the briefings and fix a few things, then everyone can race to take the bank in Clairemont! I will post when its up.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CATguy:

I remember an old thread on those tigers in KH. I think the chasis is a christie style and that they were a postwar imported British tank( not sure of which type) into Tito's fledgling government in the late 40's. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Centurions? They're about the same size as a tiger, but more comparable to a pershing. The British exported a ton of them after the war. They fought on both sides of the six day war. this is just wild speculation here.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

But in one regard I hold the KH Tigers above the SPR ones - they fire their bow-MGs!

I have SPR on video and have tried to find one instance where that is done, to no avail.

There is one time it does, the part where mellish,upham and henderson are in the apartment and mellish tells upham to get more ammo and to tell the captain that this place is going to fold. and so upham runs down the stairs and almost gets nailed by the tiger sitting in road as he runs across to get the ammo.