PzKpfw III

PzKpfw 38(T)

Renault R-35

Opel Blitz

Char Bis B1

SdKfz 8

SdKfz 251

During the period of 1940 to 1945, armored fighting vehicles transformed from

simple and lightweight infantry support vehicles to main battle assault tanks, and

everything in between. The overall tonnage of an average medium tank during these

years soared, along with the armor thickness and main gun size, while the basic

performance rose in relation. The tank literally came of age in World War II, and

defined a new weapon type where there was none before.

World War II Online™ puts players in command of the famous tanks and

armored vehicles of the period. All modeled accurately and crew-able by

multiple players, these are the armored fist of your side's armies. Fully

modeled physics assure your ride will be as real as it gets in tank simulation.

Engines overheat, tracks fail, systems degrade with damage, and vehicles

mire in the snow or mud. That's if you're lucky! Drive, command main-guns

yourself, or let a friend do the shooting. Your vehicle's systems are accurately

modeled from tech data and performance reports of the actual World War II

vehicles. Weapons, sights, engines, and overall specs are all intricately modeled to

give every vehicle the advantages, and pitfalls it had in real battle. From the "soft

spot" on the Char 1B, the amazing speed of the T34, the incredible 75mm on the

Panther, to the pathetic crawl but awesome power and survivability of the King

Tiger… it's all there.

In the persistent battle environment of WWII Online™, the tanker will be an integral

part of your side's success. You'll be tasked with supporting troops, softening targets,

or going on advanced recon patrols deep into enemy territory. Surprise and good

planning can make the difference between victory and defeat here: strike where

you're not expected and in force, and you could tip the balance of the entire front

line! Wherever your side is headed, they'll need tanks to spearhead the effort.

Games like "Panzer Commander" and "Panzer Elite" have set the stage for the level

of realism expected in the tank sim world. Playnet and Cornered Rat Software have

done their homework, and taken it one step further… the virtual battlefield. For years

tank sims have left players alone in battle. Now you'll be part of a real brigade, or a

small fast detachment of 4… blazing your way to the front line. A combat experience

that puts the player in control of a fighting vehicle in a world where every tank or

vehicle you see is manned by real people. Your skills will be tested, and your

side will be counting on you. This is no place for a simple tank "enthusiast"… it's a

world inhabited by tank "nuts".

As players gain experience and rank through combat successes, tankers can post

missions and operation orders for squads, brigades, and even your entire side's

army. The more you learn in battle the more you'll be able to bring to the planning

table when your experience and rank permits. It's not just about slamming armor at

every corner, it's about sneaking through the forests and passes to catch the enemy

with his pants down! Imagine planning a tank offensive with 50 other tankers

that is to take place a week from now. Coordinate with the infantry

commanders and arrange your artillery support. As the days go by, plans get tighter

and targets assigned until the day arrives. If communications have remained secure,

you'll have a straight shot, if they have been compromised, you may be clanking

your way straight into a trap! Either way, you're headed into tank combat that's

more compelling than ever before simply because you're fighting against real people

in a persistent combat environment. What you do in a tank today could have lasting

effects for your side. You could be the lone Sherman that spots a column of Panthers

headed towards your base… do you stand your ground, or out-run them calling for

support? It's gonna be a long and terrifying day.

Back to the Main Page

© 2000 Playnet, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Playnet Inc., World War II Online, WWII Online, "It's not just a flight sim, it's a war.", Cornered

Rat Software, teulkit, G2 Network, and Global Games Network are trademarks of Playnet

Incorporated. Other marks used herein are those of their respective owners.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> 420 said i think this game might possibly be better than CM. did you see the tank movies on the website? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't see how the two can be compared. Sure they both take place in W.W.II but that's where the similarities end IMO.

I went to the website, bookmarked it but gave it little regard. I wanted to see some screenshots but they wouldn't load at all. frown.gif

Actually I don't want anyone to burst, my, let's call it Combat Mission Bubble. If they make a better game soon I don't care I'm having to much fun with CM to care. I mean after waiting forever for Diablo2 and Shogun :Total War, buying them playing them and then buying Combat Mission; well let's just say that those 2 beforte mentioned game choices are Brewski coaster material.

Combat Mission has incredible replayabilty and I intend to us it for just that. I hope other will join me in this...well Combat Mission... smile.gif

"Go ahead and join the 'Dogs of War, CMBO Online Players Club' there soldier!

We're looking for only the best hardcore fighters out there no lazy slackjawed country yokels that don't even know which is the business end of a rifle."

Johnno

Vist my website:

Dogs of War,CMBO Online Players Club

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"I like a man who grins when he fights."

- Prime Minister Winston Churchill<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

von shrad report for duty on the DOW Message Board coc1.jpg

[This message has been edited by Johnno (edited 11-17-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LEGEND15:

Has anyone seen the WWII online game?

go to www.wwiionline.com

Kind of reminds me of Combat Mission.

You guys think this game is going to be any good?

Legend

[This message has been edited by LEGEND15 (edited 11-16-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

At this point I'm not sure that the question is wether or not it will be good but instead, "Will it ever be?" I mean it's been, as they bill it, an "upcoming massively multiplayer, online simulation" for how long now? Seems like two years to me. <shrug>

K

------------------

ICQ 8273286

www.geocities.com/felineflying/

WWIIonline looks cool but could end up a nightmare. The idea of controlling different units in conjunction with other real life players is a cool one but some things come to mind. How do you set up a start point for people who play at different hours of the day? What if my commanding officer decides he's gonna play something else without telling anyone right in the middle of a large invasion. Neat idea, lot O' questions. I'm gonna wait and see the thing up n' running before I get my hopes up. Besides it's a premium online game, CM costs nothing after you buy the CD smile.gif

------------------

"Free your mind!"

First of all, it's multi-player only so it doesn't really compete with CM.

As for keeping the chaos manageable, well, that's been a real problem in most MMP's

However, one neat trick to keep people focused is the use of rank, you only get rank by completing set missions, not number of kills, and access to better equipment is restricted to higher rank, at least that's how it was explained.

As for will it ever be, it in closed beta now,the open beta been pushed back, and AFAIK,there have been very few games less ambitious than this that have been finished in under a year, Hey BTS how long did CM take? biggrin.gif

------------------

Pzvg

"Confucious say, it is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"

To me, WW2 is a shooter with a big strategy overlay. I think it will be interesting and the guys who are making it are the guys who did Warbirds so it should be good fun and as accurate as possible (hope).

However, CM game is a strategy game with pretty-shooter overlay smile.gif

two different games, not comparable in my mind

PeterNZ

------------------

"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully." George W Bush -Saginaw, Mich.,

Sept. 29, 2000

First off I must say that the only thing comparable between the two games are the vehicles in them. Gameplay will be nothing like what the other has.

As for the game, I am very close to many of the developers of it and I assure you realism was the first thing on their list. There are many things in it that I am under NDA not to say, but my gosh... you will be surprised at the level of detail and features of the sim...

As for gameplay issues, these have been thought out over and over. Sometimes there may be a break down in the chain of command, etc. But overall the game will stick to what it was supposed to be. I never really cared about chain-of-command until the staged reenactment nights. This is where a ton of fun is. Everything is heavily organized. It is a blast to know you only have "one life" in the game. You take a little more time and listen to a few more commands.

All in all, I can't wait. From what I have seen to what it is going to be, I don't believe anything out there is going to touch it.

stimpy

It really seems fun, but don't get your hopes too high.

I honestly believe there is no way the command structure will ever hold. Many of the online games I play are team based (Tribes, Team Fortress, UT cap the flag, etc) and I have NEVER encountered anything resembling teamwork from a random group of individuals.

Also, remember that the game will have all the standard online problems...

You're the tank commander, leading a squad of tigers when you encounter an enemy company. You would have taken them by surprise except that all of your first shots miss due to bad ping. Meanwhile the High Ping Bastard on the enemy team gets 490 mortar rounds into the air while your gunner is trying to pick out a target that's not "warping" all over the battlefield. Somehow your tank survives the mortar barrage and incoming bazooka rounds and you spot the enemy HQ and call out a target to your gunner... but he's gone because his ISP disconnected him.

On the positive side, I do like the non-respawning feature of the game. Rogue Spear is one of my favorites online for this reason, and it sometimes works reasonably well as a team game, but then you're only really depending on 3 or 4 other people there.

Being an online, multiplayer only sim... I don't think it can really be compared to CM.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Clark (edited 11-17-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mr. Clark:

I honestly believe there is no way the command structure will ever hold. Many of the online games I play are team based (Tribes, Team Fortress, UT cap the flag, etc) and I have NEVER encountered anything resembling teamwork from a random group of individuals.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might or might not have noticed that there are these "clan" thingies, eg. groups of players who play always together and hone their cooperation. Counter-Strike is one of the good ones in this regard, it really requires team work. Especially with such things as Roger Wilco.

And the makers of WWIIOnline are those who made Warbirds. Players formed squadrons even as early as in Airwarrior, and these squadrons then met at fixed times and team-played. It works on those games, so it probably would work with wwiionline as well. Just replace "clans" and "squadrons" with "platoons"...

One thing I wonder, however: wwiionline offers possibility to play infantry, vehicles and airforces. What if everyone wants to play a pilot, and then one enemy soldier sneaks to your HQ and occupies it? Or if every man wants to be a tanker but no-one wants to take that FlakPanzer and then one enemy Jabo screws everyone?

Sergei:

AI my man, AI... AI will most likely man positions or vehicles that no one wants to. Albeit not as smart, but I have seen humans do dumber things.

Mr. Clark:

Yah, command structure breaks down usually. But every once in a while things work. Especially on the squad level. I know that my Warbirds squad used to kick some major butt because of our teamwork. The best was those nights that alot of squads had orginized meetings. There was some major coordination.

As for the organized events (i.e. ww2 battle reenactments), there was major chain-of-command. Pilots were briefed weeks ahead of time and followed orders accordingly. It was something else to command a B-17 box formation with another following 10 miles behind while gaggles of 109s, 110s and 190s came swooping in as you passed their patrol points.

The whole game is going to be a very interesting experience for all to behold.

stimpy

Hmm... Didn't consider "clans".

I guess that's because I've never had the sort of time committment clan membership requires.

I usually just sign on to an online game and look for other "regulars." Occasionally a group of these regulars can come together and form a decent team for a couple hours play... but it's rare.

HOWEVER, being in the middle of the book "Band of Brothers", I guess you could say that even the chaos of normal online play just might accurately represent some WWII battles.

I remember many nights playing TRIBES, forging into enemy territory, holding a position outside of the enemy base and giving covering fire while screaming for the newbies to "Get your arses in there and grab the flag!"

As long as WWII online works as described, I'm sure it will give a fine play experience... just don't expect miracles. You're always going to occasionally run across the 12 year old "team killer", standing in your HQ blowing it apart while supposedly playing on your side.

DISCLAIMER: Mr. Clark does not necessarily believe that ALL "Team-Killers" are 12 years old... some act more like pre-schoolers. Mr. Clark's opinions do not necessarily reflect those of BTS or other forum goers.

[This message has been edited by Mr. Clark (edited 11-18-2000).]

Mr Clark, not to worry, see a long time ago in a galaxy far,far away(Texas) The gurus behind Warbirds(and now behind Aces High and WWIIo/l) came up with the sometimes lamented but very effective solution to folks who just don't get it, It's called Killshooter, and it is elegant in it's simplicity, you shoot friendly, YOU take the damage. biggrin.gif

------------------

Pzvg

"Confucious say, it is better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"

But what if your rounds couldn't hurt you?

Such as a Sherman hosing down friendly GI's with its MG?

I can see potential "fire jumpers" who run into the path of others fire so they can watch them die.

Here's an even worse example:

GI Bob is a teamkiller. He really wants the Germans to win and he starts hanging around with one of their platoons. They don't shoot him because they know he's friendly. 20 howitzers have a line of sight to the house this German platoon is firing from. They all let loose a barrage, hitting the American soldier, and thus killing themselves.

Doesn't seem like a great fix from what I've heard.

I'm a WW2OL follower, I've been keeping up with its progress ever since they first opened their website. I'm a regular on the WW2OL message boards. I have traveled to the Cornered Rat Software HQ in Bedford and met the whole lot of those fine fellows. Let me say that all the points complained about above have been addressed and solutions developed MONTHS ago.

I'm not going to go into details, but WW2OL is not simply a free for all with a historical background. There are definate objectives, and orginization and "chain of command" will be "encouraged strongly" with a mission system. No one will be forced to do what they don't want to, but if you want to ever be more than fodder, you gotta work with a team for the good of your side.

WW2OL will be a first person combat simulation of WW2, not a tactical simulation like CM. Some CM players will not like WW2OL because its going to be a vehicle simulator like Warbirds, but other CM players may like WW2OL even more than CM just due to its nature.

There WILL be AI in WW2OL, it will handle some automated defensive duties, supply line systems, ect. AI will never lead troops into battle.

The game is designed from the beginning to be a war, not a free for all. Some of you nay sayers really can't understand how it CANT be a free for all, however, I can say if you've studied the game as I and others have, it'll work.

As for the development time criticism, I don't see the point. They haven't been hyping the game, or leading people on about a release date. Second, the game is getting close to open, public, (free) beta testing. I suggest that anyone here into WW2 participate in the open beta when time comes.

Please, if you like the ideas of the game but have criticisms, stop in the WW2OL message boards (after reading the FAQ, some vets on our message boards are getting tired of answering the same questions over and over) and ask questions and make criticisms.

------------------

busboy

CO, 99th Dragons

A Warbirds Squadron

'We will heat you up'

"It is well that war is so terrible, else we would grow too fond of it."

-Robert E. Lee

Pillar, see the Star Trek episode where 2 planets are at war. To avoid the destruction of cities and resources, computers now calculate the attacks, and casualties. Anyone "hit" then has so and so time to report to a disintegration chamber.

Because war has become so clean and neat, it has continued for generations...

Hate to sound like a Trekkie, it's just the only example I could think of.