Combat MIssion "Hit"

Highland Park!

An 18-year-old gem from the Orkneys. Body of an Islay with the complexity and smoothness of the Highlands. Like a pat of butter floating on the surface, don't miss this one. I just used the bottle to bargain down my latest pile at the olde military bookstore down the street... the nice man is scottish, it seems.

And I picked up FM 17-12 Tank Gunnery, 10 July '44 for my contribution (along with many others). 'Tis a fine holiday.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mark IV:

Anyway, here I am on another road trip down in Foobar-land, and what do I spy on the shelf tonight but Glendronach 15? Never tried it, golden opportunity, so down the hatch.

NOT recommended. Very alcoholic with a mediciny aftertaste. I was quite disappointed (the more so, since I passed up a perfectly good bottle of Laphroiag on the same shelf). I would be interested to know if our educated members have had similar experiences with the Glendronach, perhaps of different ages. Barring informed opinion to the contrary, it is off my list for good.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This saddens me, for I have a virgin bottle of same sitting on my shelf. I picked it up my last time through Heathrow Duty-Free as an alternative to the Macallan, as it advertised itself as "Sherry Aged". Now I will have to husband my beloved bottle of Lagavulin to stave off the day when I must brave the prospect of two fingers of Glendronach down my throat.

And I shall have to find a bottle of the Caol Ila, although NC being an ABC state, and the available scotch choices being reflective of that status, I don't hold out much hope.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

"We forbid any course that says we restrict free speech." -- Dr. Kathleen Dixon, Director of Women's Studies, Bowling Green State University

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hakko Ichiu:

[bAnd I shall have to find a bottle of the Caol Ila, although NC being an ABC state, and the available scotch choices being reflective of that status, I don't hold out much hope.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Careful Ethan, I have only tried the (expensive) F&M stuff distilled by them. It was probably distilled before they became part of some evil drinks empire. I will go and get myself a bottle of ordinary Caol Ila, just to see, and post here again when I have found and tasted it. In the meantime, I'd go along with the usual recommendations (Macallan, Highland Park, Talisker, not in that order). Find an unsupecting relative for the Glendronach.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Germanboy

Chupacapra - 'Old threads never die'

Mark IV - 'Then there was alt.booze.panzer'

Me - 'Drink! F*ck! A*se! Nuns! Gobsh*te! Drink!'

So, has anybody got anything to add? Interestingly enough, UK highstreet booze retailers have a major 'Let's sell Whisky without VAT because the new duty-free system is killing us offensive'.

I currently have three to choose from, Highland Park, Laphroaig, and Oddbin's own brand Islay Single Malt. All good stuff, but no surprises there.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

Since I wrote my last post, I tried the Macallan 10-yr again, and was much more impressed this time around. Very nice fruity flavor with some sherry-like notes. The wood comes through nicely although it's not overpowering. I'd recommend it.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

Also... Mark IV mentioned Highland Park. They are currently holding a draw for a bottle of their 1958 whisky, which is apparently extremely rare (and the price reflects this biggrin.gif)

Take an online survey and you're entered into the drawing. For a shot at booze like that, it was worth the two minutes of my time smile.gif

The website.

------------------

Soy super bien soy super super bien soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super

I've been an avid beer drinker for approximately 14 years now but am bored of my weekly ritual of either MGD or Yuengling. Someone please enlighten me.

Remember availability...I live in New Jersey, USA.

------------------

Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction. - Blaise Pascal

Hiram - Fair to say, don't buy cans. Pilsner Urquell is the best readily available bottled pilsner I've found in the States. Some of the Sam Adams varieties are quite good. I like Bass, although it's better in England. Anchor Steam Ale is quite good. Alaskan Brewery makes a very good amber and a tasty pale ale. IPA is also excellent. All of these should be around somewhere. Hell, even 7-11 is selling some good microbrews these days.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hiram Sedai:

I've been an avid beer drinker for approximately 14 years now but am bored of my weekly ritual of either MGD or Yuengling. Someone please enlighten me.

Remember availability...I live in New Jersey, USA.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hiram, for a change of taste, why not try Mickey's Big Mouth Malt Liquor. The patented Wide-Mouth Pull-topâ„¢ guarantees that you don't have to taste it as it pours down your throat. And it gets you there three times faster than the leading cheap piss.

Available in a college town near you, or at least in New Brunswick.

------------------

Ethan

-----------

"We forbid any course that says we restrict free speech." -- Dr. Kathleen Dixon, Director of Women's Studies, Bowling Green State University

• 2 weeks later...

This has been an interesting read. I am not a spirit drinker but it's nice to see enthusiasts waxing lyrical.

For those who are interested there was a great little article in "The Economist" issue for 23/12/00 - 5/1/01 about the science of ageing whisky. mentions why different woods are used and charring of barrels etc. Example given of St. George Spirits [us] using three different types of barrels to get the result they wanted !

------------------

He has impeccable bad taste

Chuppie, thanks for the link (hope I win).

I have been amazed by the quality of the scotch distillery websites; the Highland Park link is no exception.

Did you try the 3D Quicktime panorama of the Stonehenge type monuments on the isle?

Obligatory WWII content: The Orkneys are home to Scapa Flow, final resting place of the WWI German U-boat fleet, not to mention the HMS Royal Oak and other fine ships, and, alas, many of their crew (seems the British decided U-boats were quite out of vogue after 1918, and saw no reason to add submarine defenses at the outbreak of WWII). There is a beautiful panorama of the Flow on this site as well, suitable for screen-saving.

Originally posted by Mark IV:

Obligatory WWII content: The Orkneys are home to Scapa Flow, final resting place of the WWI German U-boat fleet, not to mention the HMS Royal Oak and other fine ships, and, alas, many of their crew (seems the British decided U-boats were quite out of vogue after 1918, and saw no reason to add submarine defenses at the outbreak of WWII). There is a beautiful panorama of the Flow on this site as well, suitable for screen-saving.

You can take a boat tour of Scapa Flow and cruise by all the wrecks. It's an amazing experience. The rings and Viking tombs are also well worth seeing. Somewhere I have lots of pictures of the Ring of Brodgar. And Highland Park does distillery tours that are well worth the effort. Be aware, however that there is another whiskey from Orkney called "Scapa"; it is to be avoided.

Not much of a Scotch drinker here, my taste runs more to beer, with Spaten, Rolling Rock and the old standby Budweiser being my favorites. I do enjoy the occasional Kentucky/Tennessee bourbon though.

But my fave CM "hit" is Rumpleminze. Executed correctly, i.e. with a sharp snap of the wrist to send a shot on its way, this liquid quickly initiates a very nice warm glow in the belly.

The danger is overindulgence, leading to the unfortunate "invisible/invincible" syndrome:

"I can see the enemy, but there is no way he can see me. I think I'll send this unsupported infantry platoon right over the top of this ridge and into my opponent's death field completely covered with overlapping fields of fire from his heavy MGs and a couple of random AFVs. And even if he *could* see me, my guys are highly trained and motivated! They're Supermen! They cannot die!"

Half a turn or so later, of course, this jubilant outlook quickly turns to denial, then anger. wink.gif

Then it's time for another shot of Rump.

Guest Germanboy

Originally posted by Mark IV:

Roger that. Purple intercept decode came too late on that one, but at least I only bought a glass. Ecchhh.

They put artificial colouring in it - ugh. Regarding the Orkneys, they must be the prettiest place without trees I have ever laid mine eyes on. Definitely worth going. I did the Highland Park tour in 1992, when my English was a lot worse than it is now, and the Scottish brogue of the young lady conducting the tour killed me.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel

Here goes for the non educated...

LAGAVULIN:

The Distillery

Situated in a small bay near the south coast of Islay, Lagavulin stands near the ruins of Dunyveg Castle. From here 1,000 Islaymen set sail to fight alongside Robert the Bruce at Bannockburn in 1314, and in this bay the Macdonalds maintained their power base as Lords of the Isles until finally driven out by the Campbells three centuries later.

Lagavulin legitimately claims to being one of the oldest distilleries in Scotland. Distilling on the site is thought to date from as early as 1742. In the late 1700s it is believed that there were up to ten illicit stills operating in the district. By the 1830s only two distilleries remained in the bay. In 1837 these distilleries amalgamated to form Lagavulin. At this stage the distillery was under the ownership of the Graham brothers and James Logan Mackie.

The Distillery Today

By 1875 Lagavulin was producing 75,000 gallons of whisky.

The Whisky

Lagavulin has been described as the aristocrat of Islays. It has an unmistakable, powerful, peat-smoke aroma. Described as being robustly full bodied, well-balanced and smooth with a slight sweetness on the palate.

LAPHROAIG:

The Distillery

Laphroaig - Gaelic for "the beautiful hollow by the broad bay" - boasts, as its name demands, an idyllic setting for a Distillery, with its own sea loch and peninsula.

Established in 1815 by the brothers Donald and Alec Johnston, the Distillery passed through the family, with much in-fighting along the way, until being sold to Long John Distillers in the early 1960s. It had the distinction of being run by a lady distiller, Mrs Bessie Campbell, from 1954 to 1972. Long John were taken over by Whitbread, the brewers, in 1975. However, D Johnston & Co still remains on the label as Distiller and Bottler.

The Distillery Today

Many of the original buildings remain, including the traditional malting floors where the malt is regularly turned by hand to maintain an even temperature throughout the 7-day germination period.

Laphroaig goes from strength to strength as part of Allied Distillers' portfolio and received the Queen's Award for Export Achievement in 1994.

The Whisky

Laphroaig's peat bogs on the Glenmachrie Peat Moss and its water source, the Kilbride Dam, combine in the distilling process to produce the characteristically peaty and full-coloured whisky that features in the top five best-selling malts today.

Its unique taste saw it prosper in America during the Prohibition (1920-1933) where its import was permitted as a 'medicinal spirit' - aqua vitae indeed!

Tasting Notes

A hint of sherry quickly gives way to the Islay intensity and distinctively oily body with a big peaty-smoky flavour. A round, dry and warming finish renders Laphroaig the perfect night-cap, but not one for the weak-kneed...

Now why is it that there is mostly Poolers in here?!

Aren't you Grogs a drinking breed?

------------------

You are not Obsessive-CMpulsive, you are Allied-Retentive.

Mark IV

Originally posted by CrapGame:

I actually had some Dalwhinnie this weekend. Very light. It seemed to me to that the flavor was intentionally kept light to maximize its smoothness. It was a keeper though, as the flavor it had was good. Recommended for Scotch novices.

Yes, but DO remeber that Dalwhinnie IS from the Scottish Highland region that produces (and are renowned) for NOT heavy-styled peaty Scotch. It's got a almost light honey taste, the "paet-fire" downplayed. Not overpowering at all. Likewise to a lesser extend the Oban Scotch.

Regards,

Charl Theron

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Germanboy

Roight, time to give this one a much needed boost, seeing what is going on in some of the other threads...

Caol Ila. Now those of you who drink but only in moderation may remember my eulogising the Connoisseur's Choice Caol Isla 16 year old I got at Fortnum & Mason (for the poor inhabitants of Illinois and Saskatoon, F&M is a fine food store on Picadilly in London - not the London in Ontario biggrin.gif)

Now, coming back to the Whisky at hand. It has a very un-Islay taste, which surprised me. An almost fruity overtone, just this side of being vulgar. Light finish, and totally different from the one from F&M. So, all things considered, I would go for the F&M one. If someone wants to stand me a Caol Ila, I would not sneer at it, but I believe there is better value for money to be had.

------------------

Andreas

Der Kessel