OT:The movie "Middway"

Guest Rob/1

Is it a very relistic movie I did some info hunting and found out that most of the fighter shots are from real film. Have you seen it what do you think.

------------------

Game master of Robs CMC

Join Robs CMC2 today! Email me at RobsCMC@hotmail.com

Rob

--------------------------

For more info on Rob's CMC go to Robs CMC HQHome of Robs CMC

Members of my CMC should join my CMC chat bord. Robs CMC Board

BHQS board

I saw it about 25 years ago when it first came out. After seeing "Tora Tora Tora", which it was to be the mate for, I was disappointed. A rather ordinary war film in my opinion.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

I enjoyed that movie thoroughly when it came out. I saw it in a theater with Sensurround Sound. Anyone remember that? They basically turned up the volume SO LOUD that you FELT the action. It was very impresive when the 5 inch guns on the carriers opened up. biggrin.gif

If you enjoy war movies, this is a pretty good one. Not great like The Dambusters, or Private Ryan, but good.

------------------

Capt. Byron Crank, US Army

Midway was one of my favorite movies when I was growing up. I must have watched that tape, along with Battle of the Bulge and Sink the Bismark a thousand times when I was eight or nine. Doesn't seem very long ago. Watching the PBYs spotting the Japanese carriers, the torpedo planes flying into the teeth of the zeroes and flak, the shot up, burned out plane crashing on the carrier deck. Quite a trip down memory lane.

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska

yeah i love watching that movie(or part of it) when tnt runs it every year

spoiler!!

the us wins

------------------

russellmz,

Self-Proclaimed Keeper for Life of the Sacred Unofficial FAQ.

"They had their chance- they have not lead!" - GW Bush

"They had mechanical pencils- they have not...lead?" - Jon Stewart on The Daily Show

I really like this movie, especially some of the dialog and characters. However, the actual combat scenes, while real, are oftentimes, hopelessly out of place. And the final crash on the carrier deck showing a Korean war era jet is hilarious.

Also, regarding pacific war movies in general, how many times do we have to see Pearl Harbor scenes with SBD Dauntlesses dive bombing? Hollywood, ...jesh...

------------------

"If it bleeds..we can kill it."

The story was basically accurate but when I saw it waaaay back when I kept thinking I was watching 'Tora! Tora! Tora!'. Alot of the combat footage in 'Midway' was stuff that didn't make it into the Pearl Harbor movie. Worse, even more of the footage in 'Midway' did make it into 'Tora!' cubed. Yes. Hollywood! I remember we felt cheated and sat through the next show to cut the per show ticket cost in half. I guess I had cheap friends.

And Sensurround was the hot ticket in it's day. The take offs from the carrier rumbled your seat and cracked the plaster.

One piece of footage that struck me as odd, was in Midway (during the Japanese raid on the island) you see the top of a US Battleship cage-tower getting nailed by a bomb or something and an explosion on it.

The one thing that I cannot get over, is, the use of incorrect footage. TBD's were seen as SBD's (using the same footage, over, and over, and over...). SBD's and TBD's were seen as F6F Hellcats!! Carriers were seen as modern USN carriers, etc... By that era, the creation of model vessels to represent actual ships was fairly competent. There were many other movies, made even earlier that had more realistic ship scenes.

Also, Midway seemed to be more of an appology for having the US lose at Pearl Harbor. It seemed slapped quickly slapped together. I really liked 'Tora, Tora, Tora' because it spent a lot of time on little details. Midway just seemed rushed. Although it did take into account some issues (ie. Japanese civilian internments, the little discussion at the end of the movie on why the Japanese lost, etc..).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maximus:

IMHO, some of these classic 1960's war movies need to be redone.

Midway, Battle of the Bulge, Bridge at Remagen, Tobruk to name a few.

We really need a new good North African war movie.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For once I agrea with Maximus...and just this once. smile.gif

I always liked the Bridge at Remagen, but I have a question: was there a bridge at Remagen? Or was it fictional, and based on the bridge at Nijmeghan (I know I blew the spelling), which was one of the Market Garden bridges. Just curious.

Did anyone ever play Flattop? The map was HUGE, and you played the entire Pacific Naval Campaign. The concept was beautiful, but the reality was laughable. I think you had to write your moves on a piece of paper, and then move your units (all chits of course), and at the same time move dummy chits, so you could simulate the guesswork that made Midway so interesting. As I remember, the game was just an exercise in PBY movement plotting.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sensible Toad:

Did anyone ever play Flattop? The map was HUGE, and you played the entire Pacific Naval Campaign. The concept was beautiful, but the reality was laughable. I think you had to write your moves on a piece of paper, and then move your units (all chits of course), and at the same time move dummy chits, so you could simulate the guesswork that made Midway so interesting. As I remember, the game was just an exercise in PBY movement plotting.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have 'Flattop' around here somewhere. You are correct about it. The one or two times I tried to play it I remember spending fifteen turns looking for the enemy and not finding them, at which point we put the game up and got SL off the shelf.

Midway the movie sucked. When the Japanese acted they all spoke English! What's up with that. Clearly a rushed project without the care that went into Tora Tora Tora. In Tora Tora Tora at least you got the other perspective and the thought processes that went into their decisions. This just seemed to be another propaganda film with TERRIBLE footage. At least in Tora Tora Tora, they tried to use models that were accurate. The Japanese planes looked like they were flying of an IJN Carrier (although when the planes were in formation and the carrier was in the background you could tell it was an American Carrier circa late 60's - although it was early in the morning so it was still pretty dark). The opening sequence which was supposed to depict the BB Nagato also looks very real. Apparently they build a huge model to simulate the look of an IJN Nagato Class BB.

------------------

If all men are brothers, like the seas throughout the world; So why do winds and waves clash so fiercely?"

- Emperor Hirohito (1940)

imo i think midway was a bomb because it was not a joint japan/us production as it was with tora tora tora, as the japanese parts had that unique toyo feel to them, also midway seemed to use footage from ttt and i also think that unlike ttt which used japanese actors the use of american actors playing the japanese in midway is just plain goofy(no disrespect to them of course) it just does not jive, heck i like subtitles in a film just gives it that realistic feel you know smile.gif

"Midway" is a really, really, really baaad movie. The reason why there is so much footage of actual battles is because the movie budget was so slim that they couldn't afford to do thier own special effects! The dialoge was incrediably weak and the (over) acting was even weaker.

Go rent "Tora! Tora! Tora!".

Midway...ah yes. Saw it in the theaters with "Sensurround" A fancy word for really loud bass at key moments. Also used in such classics as "Earthquake" and "Rollercoaster"

Woooo wee. Talk about some great movies there. wink.gif

Midway was nothing more than Hollywood fluff. Sign a ton of big name stars and go for it.

And did it ever have stars!!

Charles Heston, Henry Fonda, James Coburn, Glenn Ford, Hal Holbrook, Robert Mitchum,

Cliff Robertson........

Pretty impressive list. But yeah, the movie was pretty weak. When I was a kid I thought it was awesome of course. A big WWII flick on the big screen.

I cringe at the stuff Im reading about the new Pearl Harbor movie. I think we may find ourselves thinking Midway was pretty damned good afterall!! smile.gif