CM sales figures - just wondering

After reading in a magazine that some game sold over a million copies in something like a week, it piqued my curiousity regarding the number of copies that Combat Mission has sold since its release. Are these figures public knowledge? And if so, where are they posted? I never miss an opportunity to sing the praises of this game to anyone who will listen, and am a big supporter of the way BTS is marketing it. I just hope the sales figures reflect the standard of excellence that Combat Mission has brought to wargaming. Thank you BTS.

We'd tell ya, but then we'd have to kill ya. Actually I don't have a clue. BTS conciders that secret information. I'd love to know myself just to see how my favorite game of all time is doing on the market, but they're not saying.

------------------

Pair-O-Dice

"Once a Diceman, Always a Diceman."

Make that two. Come on everyone, chip in and soon we'll be able to work it out!

------------------

...the pilot was able to circle and make a safe belly landing. According to O'Neal, 'this guy jumped out and ran up to me, shouting, "Give me a gun, quick! I know right where that Kraut s.o.b. is and I'm gonna get him".'

Wouldn't it be great if CM sold as much as Starcraft and/or Half Life? That way Steve and Charles would resort to smoking fat cigars in 10 trillion dollar mantions, trading business ideas with Bill Gates, and maybe even emergeing once in a while to wave slightly with one hand at us, the little people, who would feel thankful at somply being in their god-like presence?

Oh wait a minute, that would mean no CM2, right? Never mind then...

wink.gifbiggrin.gif

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by The Commissar:

Wouldn't it be great if CM sold as much as Starcraft and/or Half Life?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You know, although I wish CM would sell as many copies as Starcraft, realistically it probably will never come to pass (yes, yes, it's sad I know). If they did, it would be the shot-in-the-arm that computer wargameing needs to boost it's popularity within the industry. I mean, if you think about it, every genre of games had one that significantly changed the way people develop games. First person shooters had "Doom" for example, and we all know popular first person shooters have become.

If CM ever got the recognition of Starcraft or Diablo, think of all the bandwagon companies that would suddenly develop games to people like us. The choices would be endless. But of course the first choice would always be Combat Mission. smile.gif

------------------

"There is nothing more exhilarating than to be shot at without result" - Winston Churchill

The only official comment I've seen (quite a while ago) was that they had sold more than they had hoped for. And given the fact that they have sold out twice (at least), I'd say they have sold a lot more than they had hoped for! smile.gif

Hawk

------------------

Our's is not to reason why, our's is but to do and die!

That or they were grossly understocked.

biggrin.gif

BTW, it has been said time and again that the sales figures are not to be disclosed and if possible not to be discussed...

But my own personnal estimate is a little over 40 copies sold so far.

------------------

Will you trade your Peng for a box of Seanachai?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PawBroon:

But my own personnal estimate is a little over 40 copies sold so far.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Over 40! Pshaw! It's got to be well over 45! wink.gif

------------------

"Do not needlessly endanger your lives until I give you the signal"

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Guest Michael emrys

At some point BTS will have to report its earnings to the IRS, unless they have an amazing invisibility shield. Then we will all have a pretty good approximation of how many units they have sold.

Michael

From what I understand CM's sales are so impressive that Steve and Charles have decided to abandon computer game development and fulfill a lifelong dream of becoming champion hamster breeders...

HAH!

Anyway, this question has been asked many, many times (myself included in the ranks). You may ask, but BTS won't tell...

I would estimate it like this:

Take the number of people registered with the forums, and multiply that by 1.5.

------------------

"War is like the cinema. The best seats are at the back... the front is all flicker."

- Monte Cassino by Sven Hassel

What about getting the latest purchaser of CM to tell us what his/her invoice number is? Of course, that would be assuming it started at 1 and is working its way up. Several months ago I purchased a copy for a friend, Number 18,000 and something. Will that work? smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Richlop:

What about getting the latest purchaser of CM to tell us what his/her invoice number is? Of course, that would be assuming it started at 1 and is working its way up. Several months ago I purchased a copy for a friend, Number 18,000 and something. Will that work? smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. Steve already talked about this. The numbers have no relevance to the units sold.

How many have they sold? As Steve said, sales went beyond their wildest dreams.

That's good enough for me.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michael emrys:

At some point BTS will have to report its earnings to the IRS, unless they have an amazing invisibility shield. Then we will all have a pretty good approximation of how many units they have sold.

Michael<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, IRS information is not public info. A private company (like BTS) does not publicize their tax returns or financial statements, for any number of good reasons.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>originally posted by M. Bates

I would estimate it like this:

Take the number of people registered with the forums, and multiply that by 1.5.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmmm...I would actually think it was substantially higher than a 1.5 multiple. Is there an easy way to tell how many people have registered on the forum? That would be an interesting number.

--Philistine

[This message has been edited by Philistine (edited 10-04-2000).]