Techware Announcement: Super Realism Graphics Upgrade!

Guest Gunslinger

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll add my two cents...

Great job! Please keep up the work and let us all know when you are ready to distribute these wonderful enhancements. I am sure that there are plenty of us here that would gladly try them out for you, if you wanted. smile.gif

Thanks for your efforts.

Gunslinger,

Those images look awesome! I'm glad we have people on this forum who are willing to put in the time to make the game even better. Your work is greatly appreciated.

I'd like to put in my own two cents here...Is it possible for you to fix the graphics of flame bursts? What I mean by this is that I used the Crocodile the other day for the first time and when it shot, the flame came out like a waterfall. It in this game I wasn't impressed with. Is this possible to fix so it looks like a REAL flame coming out and hitting its target?

------------------

Everything in moderation...except CM.

Guest Gunslinger

Just a few things to note about some concerns folks have had.

The Good News:

The graphics MOD will NOT require anymore than what it already does. I did not increase the size of the files nor make them handle any different. If you can run CM at 1024x768 in Direct3D then you will get screens just like I show with the same framerate and game play speed you enjoy now.

Also saw a request for "land with lines" for judging LOS. I will make a seperate grass package which will be compatable with the non "land with lines" MOD.

The BAD News: To achieve the above I have to hand edit each and every BMP file in CM. Thats over 1,800 files. I'm using Paint Shop Pro and a few filters I made to do so. So it's long, boring work and that's why it may take a couple of days.

1,800 BMP files uncompressed is about 100 Megs. So, after zipping them up the mod is going to be a BIG one. I haven't tested yet, but by using different compression schemes I feel I can get the file size down to about 60 to 70 megs.

Fortunately I have unlimited server space and a fast server so downloads won't be a problem. My server also supports resumable downloads so programs like Go!Zilla and GetRight will work.

Final note: Here is my system specs for running Combat Mission (which runs very nice).

Pentium II Celeron 466

128 SDRAM at 66Mhz

Creative TNT2 Ultra w/ 32 Megs RAM

15 Inch KDS Monitor.

2 Green Aliens On Top of Monitor

As you can see, my system is not a top of the line system by a long shot and it runs great.

I have to work tonight (^$%#&&* traffic patrol duty.. frown.gif Hmmm if I borrow some ones lap top and plug it into the cig lighter....) so I might not get back to work on it until tomorrow.

------------------

headshot.gif **GUNSLINGER** camper.gif

Just Remember, No Matter Where You Go, There You Are.

[This message has been edited by Gunslinger (edited 09-04-2000).]

First of all, ya say its around 100 Megs for everything? I added up the graphics files (modified w/ MDMP-1 w/ hi-res grass) and I got 73.6 Megs. Didja increase the resolution, or what?

And second, I'm assuming you're only doing a PC version, right? Well, if you mail me your massive gravity-warping archive of BMPs (thank god for DSL!), I'm pretty sure I can convert them into Mac CM-compatible resource files. Interested?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by deanco:

The screens look really nice...I'm looking forward to it. Am I the only one, when looking at a screenshot, who moves his mouse to the edge of the screen to try and scroll the view?? smile.gif

DeanCo--<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL deanco buddy. Naw, ur not the only one, I still continue to do it. See?, I'm trying to do it right now!, subconsciously of course.

------------------

Thanks for Athskin!

They look great! Really fitting to the fog.

Are you going to make the day textures a little brighter than the default CM textures? I don't know how you'd do it, but I always found the daytime was too dark in Combat Mission. CoolColJ felt this way too when he started his textures.

Look outside on a nice sunny day and compare the colours to Combat Mission's daytime scenery, it's a little brighter.

I'm off to work on some nice super-hi-res sky textures. smile.gif

I don't know if you saw my other post Gunslinger, but I was wondering if it's possible to change the way the Crocodile (and any other flame tank in the game) shoot flames. Is it possible to get rid of that "waterfall" effect and make it look more realistic or is this something that can't be done with a mod?

------------------

Everything in moderation...except CM.

• 1 month later...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by aka_tom_w:

I used the word mod

and the word Gunslinger to do a search.

This thread popped up

no big deal.

-tom w<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I for one are glad you did as I've been wondering where ol' Gunslinger disappeared to over the past month or so. His graphics mods were IMHO the best by far & I was anticipating even more of his great work to come then he vanishes! confused.gif

Anybody know where he disappeared to?

Regards

Jim R.

------------------

Steve to Combat Mission community:

"If it's not in Combat Mission it never happened in reality"... nah that's not what I meant

"If it's not in Combat Mission then the chances of it happening were miniscule"... hmmm, not quite

"If it's not in Combat Mission then we didn't have the resources to code it"... rats, we've employed more people now

"If it's not in Combat Mission, STIFF SH*T!"... yeh, that's what I meant to say :)

Guest Rommel22

I can't get to the site. The page that pops up tell me it an't find the url. Can you post the link again??? thanx

------------------

From the Das Reich book as said by a German soldier

"when the Russians reached us, we opened fire, the first wave had no weapons.

The second wave didn't either (fire fodder). The 3rd and 4th had weapons and opened fire on us.

By this time we were low on ammo, but we drove them back."

Im getting an error mesg. for this URL <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gunslinger:

Techware announces development into a complete Combat Mission graphics upgrade is currently underway.

Tired of the super bright cartoony colors of CM?

Will no more.

I have begun the slow painfull ( heehee ) process of hand editing all 1,800 graphic files in Combat Mission.

Compare the following screens shots below with normal Combat Mission and I think you will agree as to the realistic look of this upgrade so far.

Features (Still not finished with additions):

New Fire. Looks more realistic and not seemed any more.

Toned down grass and other world textures.

Most files modifed to be clearer and look more like real life than a game.

I'll announce here when I'm done. Not sure as to a finish date but it shouldn't take long. Maybe by Thursday or Friday if all goes well. (Lots of editing)

Images are thumbnailed but the actual images are around 200 to 300k as I didn't want to lose any quality.

http://techware.gtinsider.com/page_01.htm

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry guys its no longer there, the mods or the link, this is an old thread.

It seems Gunslinger is no longer active in CM or on the forum

I have a server set up to serve his mods and it will allow login for the weekend only, after 5:00 pm est today.

see the other threads, about the "Building mods" or the thread below it for the details.

-tom w