Dr. Brian is right

y'all are crazy to suggest that Dr. Brian is laughable, etc. for raising an important issue.

The truth is, we all are deriving pleasure from a simulation of the most horrible event in modern history.

You can't dismiss the fact by saying, "I am only interested in the military history."

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know exactly why I'm a ww2 fananic. I think because it was the first major world conflict that invovled air/sea/land combat in a fully combined role. Yet things hadnt progess to the stage where a plane/ship could fire a crusie missle off at a target 100's of miles away and hit it without even seeing it. It really was the best conflict in my opinion because it had many technological breakthoughs but still involved the skill of men.

Guest Rollstoy

I am interested in channeling the primal instinct to fight within me in a way that is both intelligent (compared to e.g. first person shooters) AND educative!

Thanks for your understanding,

Thomm

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>The truth is, we all are deriving pleasure from a simulation of the most horrible event in modern history.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Aren't those of us in the US deriving pleasure from stolen indian lands, every day? I think WW 2 is very intresting, mainly from a military standpoint. How dare you infer that my enjoyment of this game is somehow linked to your moral (even immoral) standards. You don't know me, nor any one else on this board, well enough to make such a judgement. And until you can prove to me that you have no immoral leanings in any aspect of life that I might consider as important to me, then please abstain from this flawed viewpoint you have.

-johnS

So Crumply, what's your rationalization? I guess if I'm a war-loving sociopath for playing a computer game, that makes you one too.

Hell, I used to play Sierra's Leisure Suit Larry games back in the day, so apparently I'm not only a warmonger, but I'm a balding, polyster-wearing lech.

Sheesh.

------------------

Soy super bien, soy super super bien, soy bien bien super bien bien bien super super.

Guest aka PanzerLeader

Doc Brian was flamed for a number of issues, the most important being that he dismissed as "evil" all those who fought for the Axis powers, which includes the relatives of many people on this forum.

However the issue that you just mentioned, crumply, isn't at all laughable and has to be taken seriously. Unfortunately it was DocBrian's only good idea.

Oh yeah, and I am only interested in the military history. biggrin.gif

I'm only interested in simulating blowing up WW II Tanks and vehicles!

I Love to PLAY this game for the off chance I might get a catastrophic "Ka- BOOM" explosion when I blow something up.

I'm happy to be a member of a community that enjoys this game and WW II Military history.

I'm a self proclaimed DESTROMANIAC from way back.

Read this post:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/004082.html

"Tanks in the Basement" for more fun and entertaining stories of our collective child hood as we all enjoyed blowing up model tanks!

-tom w

ITS JUST a GAME!

and its REALLY fun!

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Remember that no dumb bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country."

G. S. Patton

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think we could do a lot worse than play a computer game, regardless of what it's based on. We're not actually harming anyone or any thing.

If anything, Combat Mission gives us a greater understanding of the war. It's not an arcade game. It doesn't glorify violence. It doesn't encourage any misconceptions about war.

What it does, is plainly illustrate how no battle can be 'won' without great loss to both combatants. A while back I posted about how, when battles got underway, it bothered me that my men started to get killed, and even if I 'won', I could have taken as heavy casulaties as my opponent.

Better pretending to kill people than doing it for real. And better understanding the realities of war, than just playing shooting games like Quake, which do glorify violence.

David

------------------

There's a splinter in your eye, and it reads REACT

Am I the only one here who thinks Dr. Brian

is really Steven Ambrose? smile.gif

I'm only interested in military history.

This crap is embarrasing,and stupid.