How do you un-bog tanks?

Once they become immobilized, that's it! They are now pillboxes...like it or not. frown.gif

FB said it right, don't use fast move in bad conditions and stick to the roads if you can.

I can see ramming working at least to move the immobile tank a short distance. You can move wrecks, after all. I haven't tried it myself (though I did do it once by accident), so I can't say if the immobile vehicle becomes moveable.

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TP_Bomber:

Try Reverse. It worked for me but might not always.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This worked for me in soft ground and wet conditions.

------------------

Blessed be the Lord my strength who teaches my hands to war and my fingers to fight.

Ramming "can" definitely work- dunno what the odds are. Seen it, done it. Ramming is a largely undocumented and unexplored little world of its own.

I usually try to Rotate, then Move a little, after canceling previous orders. Seems to help, but it may just be luck of the draw, or superstition.

There is no clear official guideline on this, so you just have to try things. Like real life in snow country, it might take longer than a CM scenario to get that sucker moving, no matter what. When Bogged becomes Immobile you are a pillbox. A CM law is that it will be in a place with a clear LOS to absolutely nowhere important.

Having made a study of nearly all sorts of means to unbog armor, I can state in near certainty:

1. Immobilized is immobilized. It's a pillbox. (There is provision for repair of vehicles in Operations, not half-hour battles.)

2. Attempts at ramming, pushing, moving an immobilized vehicle in general are a waste of time ... and usually exposes more armor to enemy fire. If there is a way around the stuck vehicle, the AI will take it. Incidents of one vehicle pushing another have been documented but these usually are in situations where there is no other alternative, i.e. narrow streets, vehicle stuck on a bridge, and the immobile vehicle is an obstacle. The generally accepted rationale for the AI not pushing another vehicle--bogged or immobile--is that such a maneuver is risky because the "good" tank may become bogged itself or do damage (transmissions and other mechanical stuff) to itself and thus become stuck. The TC (AI) knows this and will not willingly put the "good" tank in jeopardy without a very good reason.

3. Sometimes a bogged vehicle will unbog itself ... keep an eye on its status. I have been told that the crew will try continually to unbog the vehicle. Sometimes it works, sometimes it don't.

4. Try reverse. As has been stated it sometimes works.

just my 2 cents.

------------------

"Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?" — Oddball

"Crap." — Moriarty

[This message has been edited by Moriarty (edited 09-02-2000).]

I just tried to push my STUIII out with another one and it didn't work. It might of been immobilized by then. It did get pushed about 10 feet or so.

-Ski

------------------

"The Lieutenant brought his map out and the old woman pointed to the coastal town of Ravenoville........"

Guest Madmatt

No command you give them makes a difference when they are Bogged. The units will attempt 100% on their own to Unbog. If this is unsuccessful they will become immobolized.

You can give them any move order you want and they will ignore it UNTIL they become unbogged. If they do that is.

Madmatt

p.s. Ramming doesn't help either. It's just a coincidence.

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

CMHQ-Annex

Host of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 09-02-2000).]

Awww, we can dream, can't we? Hell, I swore I saw one of my Sherman commanders throw a pack of Lucky Strikes to another for getting him out of a marsh. I thought that was pretty cool......

-Ski

------------------

"The Lieutenant brought his map out and the old woman pointed to the coastal town of Ravenoville........"

About the only time ramming immobilized tanks is when there is an opportunity for them to vastly improve their LOS within 10 or 20 yards. An example would be if they are on the reverse slope of a hill, with only 10 yards to the top. Once there, they become a pillbox, although also an easy target to KO. Don't waste another tank pushing immobilized ones very far- the pushing tank is much more useful fighting.

------------------

There is nothing certain about war except that one side won't win.

-Ian Hamilton

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

About the only time ramming immobilized tanks is when there is an opportunity for them to vastly improve their LOS within 10 or 20 yards. An example would be if they are on the reverse slope of a hill, with only 10 yards to the top. Once there, they become a pillbox, although also an easy target to KO. Don't waste another tank pushing immobilized ones very far- the pushing tank is much more useful fighting.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't waste your time. It doesn't work. Been there, done that.

------------------

"Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?" — Oddball

"Crap." — Moriarty