If I order my guys to sneak, shouldn't they be quiet?

I don't know how this is handled in the game, but last night I was playing Wiltz (awesome scenario btw) and I ordered a platoon to sneak to a position. Now normally, when I think of sneak, I think of maintaining stealth, quietness, concealment at all costs. So I was surprised when I heard my guys barking orders when they started moving. Los, snell, and various asundry other germanic words. WTH are they doing? So I replayed the movie, only this time from a suspected allied position. Sure enough, from that spot I hear the same german voices coming from that direction. Curious, I moved waaaaay back from that spot and STILL heard my guys.

So my questions.

1. What the 7734 (put it on calculator and turn it over smile.gif) are they doing talking?

2. Can the enemy really hear them?

3. How far away can you be without hearing the enemy?

BTW, this happens regardless of the command you give - crawl, sneak, move, run. Just a bunch of damn chatterboxes these soldiers are. I want them quiet when crawling or sneaking. That's the whole idea behind those commands after all.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

You are proberly right Sten but I do understand Juardis concern though. CM deliver one after the other of sweet details so you as gamer adopt to this atmosphere. When something is not quite as you expect it to be you question it.

Malmvig

OK, chose a small scenario where both sides start close to each other. Played hot seat. Germans were attackers. I told the 3 german infantry units closest to the front lines to crawl. Results after watching movie? As the germans I could here my units talk at the onset of the crawl. Results after watching from the American point of view? I could hear the Germans issuing those orders.

Restarted, this time I chose units further back to sneak. I could hear the commands as the Germans watching my own troops (from anywhere). Could also hear them from the American side (from almost anywhere). I did have the iron cross designations indicating maybe an inf unit was there, but not designating it a sound contact.

I tried a 3rd test. I left everyone standing still and did not move, sneak, crawl anybody. I did have halftracks idling, but they also remained stationary. As the germans, I heard not a sound (except the engines). As the americans, I heard not a sound but I also had iron cross designations for all the infantry. Since the scenario I chose had dense fog and there were no sound contact designations, I'm guessing the silhouettes could be made out. Interestingly, the Ami's started firing, which caused one of my units to move and my halftrack to start firing. Once the track started firing, it was labeled as a sound contact by the Ami's and then you could hear the idling engine (but not before it started firing).

Another interesting tidbit. My 3 man squad representation was a one man squad according to the americans. Could be because it was sneaking. Could be because it was foggy. But I thought that was cool. You may hear me issue stupid commands as I try to sneak up on you, but you only think you see all of me.

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Guest Michael emrys

Under the heading Contact-Level 2, pp. 81-82 in the manual it says, "Enemy infantry units are always displayed using one soldier, regardless of the actual type."

So what you had at that point was a vague glimpse. There were men out there, but you didn't have a count or other ID.

Michael

Juardis, hi,

by skirmish I mean fire and movement. Cautiously moving forward a pair at a time , or two pairs at a time while the rest of the squad give covering fire. Individuals are spaced about 6-8 paces apart and are constantly looking to aquire targets and deal with them. Its the style all infantry used, in theory anyway, to advance while in contact with the enemy. Even the Soviets used skirmishing from the second half of 42. The November 1942 Soviet infantry manual is pure skirmishing, contrary to popular belief.

All the best,

Kip.

------------------