Are there any FULL BATTLE REPLAYS in the full version of the game?

I have ordered a copy of the Combat Mission: Beyond Overlord game, and I was just wondering if there is an option to replay all turns in a scenario after the battle is finished. If not, that would be an amazing addition to an already amazing game...

------------------

"Childhood's over the moment you know you're going to die."- THE CROW

You wouldn't think it would be that hard to have a full battle replay, Bungie Software did it with the 3D strategy games Myth and Myth II. Full length movies really allow you to see the total stragegy of a battle, whether you're reviewing one of your own or admiring someone elses. In Myth, if I lose, I can save the movie, and watch it later to see what I did wrong, and how I can change this.

------------------

There is nothing certain about war except that one side won't win.

-Ian Hamilton

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 109 Gustav:

You wouldn't think it would be that hard to have a full battle replay, Bungie Software did it with the 3D strategy games Myth and Myth II.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, but then this isn't the Myth game engine is it?

Steve has already explained that this is not going to be *easy*. Some way has to be developed to link all the seperate turns together. Myth doesn't have to do that.

Just because another game has the feature does not mean it's easily doable in this one.

Well, I am not a programmer, but it has to be quite easy to develop this kind of solution: The engine does a autosave of each movie (like a pbem file) then it just loads automatically them one after one, so you would have the full movie in 60 second pieces. I dont know if that kind of full movie would be of any use afterall, and surely it would require huge amounts of disk space... And this would be a not-so-good solution, and those do not belong to CM smile.gif

Well, I am a programmer and I work with a bunch of different software that can export and merge all sorts of different files. I specificaly work with databases but there have been times I have exported or imported from a flat text files, which is the format for the PBEM movies.

I don't see why the text files cannot be merged into one continuous text file. Granted I don't know the specific layout of the text file but it does seem possible.

As for size problems texts files compress quite nicely. wink.gif

Jeff

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Suicides-by-Steve:

<font color=red>"Cue CM Borg."</font>

It is no use. I have thoroughly mastered the ways of the Dark Side. My years of discipline will allow me to "assimilate" the Borg Queen... :P<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You have been assimilated

------------------

Resistance is Futile

I've heard people mention that replays are saved with the Autosave feature... but I've only seen that in PBEM. Does CM actually save the replay as a file somewhere during single play and write over it after each turn?

-eboli

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tiger:

Correct. Any way you do this, it's going to require an insane amount of hard drive storage space. Figure around 10 megs give or take a few per full length movie of each entire game.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

10 Megs? That's is NOTHING! My new machine will have a small (30GB) hard drive.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jshandorf:

As for size problems texts files compress quite nicely.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not really. Document files compress nicely since they have a predictable usage of characters. Text files like the CM files may not use characters predictably, hence they do not necessarily compress well at all.

Jeff Heidman

Perhaps as an intermediate step between the current situation of no movie files in non-PBEM games and the capability of (hopefully) full, continuous movies in the glorious, distant future, there could be an option to create and save one minute movie files for one player and hot-seat games and this is not a run-on sentence.