TCP/IP release update

Guest Big Time Software

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Mongo Lloyd

You can have two seperate executables in the CMBO folder, just call one of them CM105.exe and the other CM11.exe or whatever you want and you can have two different versions of CM at the same time with no problem.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Randy Mauldin:

If I download the 1.1 patch won't it overwrite the 1.05 patch? I won't be able to save a file in the 1.05 version since it won't be there anymore, right?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's what you do. We had to do this with a previous patch. You open your PBEM game in 1.05. You save it. Don't hit GO, but alt-s and give it a file name. It will henceforth be saved at that point and will be called whatever filename you give it. You then download and install 1.1. Then you fire up CMBO with 1.1 and click on Play Scenario. Then choose the file that you previously saved in 1.05. This will open it and allow you to continue your previous PBEM game only now you're using 1.1.

Got it?

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Guest Big Time Software

Thomm,

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Will there be a Demo with TCP/IP Functionality?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, but it will be a little while before we have it available for download. Remember that the 1.1 patch next week is only a BETA patch. It will probably be better than most final version from other companies, but we want to make sure it is perfect before making a final 1.1 patch. The demo will appear shortly after.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Yes, but it will be a little while before we have it available for download.

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What will you make new scenarios for the demo or just include the same ones?

------------------

And if we abandon any platform, I can assure you it will not be the Macintosh.

-Steve

My website!

A major source of Wild Bill scenarios!

Yes, pleanes do appear in Ops and act *exactly* like they do in normal scenarioes frown.gif

Spoilers Alert!

Try 2nd battle in "Villers Bocage", I bet there are at least 2 "units" of CAS to keep your panzers head low.

Griffin.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

Guest Madmatt

Okay, I just heard from Charles. There was SOME sort of problem with planes in Ops but he didn't didn't say what it was other than a standard Charles answer of "It's fixed now."

So, there you go. Not sure what the problem was or is. I was thinking maybe the % was too low of them arriving and I just got lucky, or unlucky as the case may be, but when Charles says it's fixed it usually is.

If I can find out more details I will post them, but then in a few more days you can all join me in this search! wink.gif

Madmatt

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Hi Guys,

The problem with planes not showing on operations did not effect the operations from the disk. This problem only came about when user made operations were designed and in almost all cases the Air support did not show up even in clear weather.

Operations on the disk did not have this problem, anyhow it certainly is great news to hear that the problem has now been addressed by BTS. Well done BTS !!

Cheers

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Guest kking199

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

We are not planning on any "official" player matching but there are a variety of options available.

Madmatt<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just wanted to suggest that BTS create a new forum for TCP/IP matches so players can find one another. This should help your customers out a lot AND keep these posts from showing up in General Discussion which they will.

------------------

"Sure, there were a lot of bodies we never identified." - TSgt Donald Haguall

'44 In Combat from Normandy to the Ardennes - Charles Whiting

KUDOS to BTS!!! Not only for the upcoming TCP/IP, but also for being REALLY daring and telling us what's going on! NOT ONLY THAT, but also telling us things like "Charles doesn't know how to program that."

Wow! Do you know how many years we've been kept in the dark? This is so damn refreshing, if I didn't love this game, I would still support this company!!!

Now for a slight problem... I saw an admission from BTS that they have actually been sleeping. That's THIRTY PERCENT of the day to most people. If they had given up sleep all this time, we could've been asking "when is CM II going to be out" by now.

(This logic follows the line of the old Abbott & Costello skit where he works a year at a dollar a day & wants to be paid, but is informed that he only worked 8 hrs a day, meaning he only worked 1/3 of the year, and then there were weekends which had to be deducted, etc, etc until he only has a single dollar... which a bellhop waks by & grabs).

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Steve, Charles, and the entire BTS team for bringing us TCP/IP. It is great to see this addition to the game coming out and in addition, to also see features such as the timer and ability to switch back and forth between TCP/IP to email format and then back again once a game has been started. All features which myself and others have asked for many moons now to be included as part of the patch. Great work guys, I can't wait to try it out.

Mike D

aka Mikester

Originally posted by kking199:

I just wanted to suggest that BTS create a new forum for TCP/IP matches so players can find one another. This should help your customers out a lot AND keep these posts from showing up in General Discussion which they will.

Or someone could host a icq activelist running 24 hours a day. Usefull both for finding players, and sharing stuff.

ps: ill proberly do it if nobody else does.

but for starters here is my icq 20966786

Be Cool

Jev The Jut

Guest Madmatt

I am not sure I see the point in a TCP/IP match forum. Since most people have dynamic IP's it's not like you can leave your game running waiting for someone to join. I think a better use of resources is to compile a list of people, get their ICQ numbers and either instant message them when you want to play a game or hang out on the CMHQ Chat area waiting for someone to pop in.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 11-27-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

I am not sure I see the point in a TCP/IP match forum. Since most people have dynamic IP's it's not like you can leave your game running waiting for someone to join. I think a better use of resources is to compile a list of people, get their ICQ numbers and either instant message them when you want to play a game or hang out on the CMHQ Chat area waiting for someone to pop in.

Madmatt

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 11-27-2000).]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

THe CMHQ chat area, of (in our Dreams) GameRanger for the Mac sound like good bets.

The thing about the CMHQ chat area is that it will be instantaneous and active with people on it who are there looking for TCP/IP games if MadMatt choose to let it serve that specific purpose. A chat area that has previsouly been established (Like MadMatt's) sounds like a good bet.

Then again you can Plan TCP/IP matches ahead of time in This forum or by private e-mail or ICQ.

It should be VERY easy really, I don't think any new service or forum needs to be set up to accomodate the "I want to play CM via TCP/IP right now! " crowd.

Now .... "Where's that Damn v1.1 Patch!!" smile.gif

(posted in good humour of course)

-tom w

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

Some more answers for you folks...

<<< snippage >>>

Multi-multi player will not be in CM 2. We might have said that it will likely go into CM II. In any case, Combat Mission 2 (Eastern Front) is not going to have this feature. Combat Mission II (next generation of the game engine) will have multi-multi player. It is a HUGE deal to add this functionality so do not look for it any time soon ;)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks very much for the clarification of the future of "multi-multi player." I think I can hold on until CM II for MMP. At any rate, I fully appreciate BTS' dedication to releasing software that actually works. Much better that, than rushing to meet some arbitray dealine or to satisfy the yammering of some yutz (such as myself)for some feature. ,^)