Miltary Modeller poll

Played around with it off and on for years. Have not done much in a few years though. My eyes are getting old.

Dave

------------------

My front is pushed back.My right gives way.Situation Excellent! I am attacking!

Ferdinand Foch 1916

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Airborne:

Did quite a bit of it over the years. Hard to do these days with cats and kids, etc...

-------Chris

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ain't it the truth... mad.gif

I used to do a lot of 1/35 armor modelling, but my enthusiasim slowly died out around 5 years ago. Went to a hobby store a couple of weeks ago and couldn't believe the prices these days! Don't know if I could AFFORD to start modelling again.

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb ;)

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by IntelWeenie:

I used to do a lot of 1/35 armor modelling, but my enthusiasim slowly died out around 5 years ago. Went to a hobby store a couple of weeks ago and couldn't believe the prices these days! Don't know if I could AFFORD to start modelling again.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, model prices are higher, Intel, but the guiding rule of thumb to me from past experience was that modelling "tools" & accesories--the paintbrushes, paints, sealers, airbrushes, decal sets, photo-etch sets, military reference books, etc.---all added together so to make the cost of the model kit only 10-20% of the TOTAL cost to build the thing.

I'd think it'd be great if "profile" images of historic aircraft & vehicles, like you'd see in the Squadron references, could be accessed and downloaded from the 'net. Then at least the reference cost wouldn't be so bad. Anyone else see such a thing?

I'm trying my hand at 1/12th scratch building right now. My first project will be a 75mm PaK 40.

PS: If any Torontonians are planning a trip to the Worthington tank park at CFB Borden this summer, I'd sure like to tag along so I can take some measurements and detail photos of the PaK 40 there. I'll buy the gas smile.gif

------------------

It's a mother-beautiful bridge and it's gonna be THERE.

dang got to go to a modeling shop here and see what the prices are here in Hannover. iggit!

-------

"A slipping gear could let your M203 grenade launcher fire when you least expect it. That would make you quite unpopular in what's left of your unit."

-Military magazine review of M203 grenade launcher

Stopped when I went to college, for the most part. That would have been about 15 years ago.

Coincidently, though, just this week I was looking on-line at some of the stuff that's out there. Wow! Way more stuff, especially armor. Makes me want to start again, but then when would I find time to game?

------------------

Will

---

"The truly great thing is not to lose your nerve." --Unknown.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Mace:

We obviously have quite a few experienced grognards / gamers amongst this group, but one thing I always wondered is how many of this CM fraternity dabble with military modelling?

Mace<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My Wife & I built 1/35th scale. We had to stop after we moved the 1st time, and never got a chance to restart yet. Hopeing we will this winter, as we have a closet full of kits to put together still.

Regards, John Waters

Guest Mirage2k

I've dabbled in some 1/48 modeling of modern aircraft, but not on a very regular basis. The collection so far: F-15C Eagle, F-15E/I Strike Eagle, F-4 Phantom II, F-14A Tomcat, F/A-18C Hornet, A-10A Thunderbolt II.

I'm kind of getting more interested in naval warfare, so I'll have to look around to see what's out there.

-Andrew

Modeled alot as a youth, went to college and the Marines, and drifted away from it. Then rediscovered it about six years ago. Since then I have drifted from 1/72 aircraft to 1/35th armor and have amassed quit a collection, and, spent alot of money. Thank god I'm not married.

I'm one of those poor bastards who buys kits faster then he can build them I have about twenty unstarted kits awaiting, and about four half built. Right now I'm tediously putting the track links together on DML's M-26 Pershing, Laboriously doing the weathering on the interior of Academy's Tiger Ie, meticulously applying Eduards super detailing to the old Tamaiya PzkwIV Aus. D, and trying to tell myself to finally paint the rubber wheels on the AFV Club M-18. I really need a break. These particular kits have been taking me a long time to finish. I banged out DML's M4A3E8 in between them as well as Tamaiya's M-60A2. Sometimes I just throw one together to break the tedium of the great kits I'm working on. I love it though, it sure is fun. It will have to do until I can save up the $140k for that M-47 on the internet...

Sturmtiger.jpg

Jagdtiger.jpg

two of my babies

Zamo

Im a newer modeller, working on Tamiya Mid prd. Tiger I currently. My next project will probably be a Tamiya 88mm FlaK.

Has anyone tried R&J's Zimm-it-Right? Im thinking of ordering it but would like a few second opinions.

I model in 3D. One of the first things I did in Alias PowerAnimator was make an extremely detailed Jagdpanther. Somehow i'd gotten the dimensions wrong, though. *sniff* And it looked kind of ... odd. Still, nothing beats how I modelled EACH TRACK. Heh, the thing took 2 hours to render each frame at NTSC quality.