Kudos to Steve & Charles for Busting thier A$$'s, and getting this thing out the door

I just read the flame war one thread down, and even though it had a productive end, and even resulted in a little clear thinking, the thread title alone was unnecessarily damaging to Steve & Charles. What they have accomplished is nothing short of amazing, and well beyond the skills and talents of most of us. I am a proffessional developer, and I know for sure I could not have done it. It is particularly galling to me when the 99% of the things that went right get forgotten in the rush to blame the 1% of things that went wrong.

Being a free speech fanatic myself, I have always thought the cure for speech I don't agree with is lots of loud speech that I do. So to counterbalance a negative thread topic, I offer this one forth.

[This message has been edited by Leftwing66 (edited 06-21-2000).]

good thinking Leftwing66

I prefer rsvisionist history myslef smile.gif

see retracted post in the previously identified thread below.

but Free Speech should always be encouraged and when we hear something we rally don't like we can usually count on the the "forest will echoing back" as it did.

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup, what they've accomplished is truly incredible. Now I know what Steve meant when he said wargamers are not a very forgiving bunch (i.e., they like to bitch). I haven't gotten the game yet either, which bums me out, but it will make its arrival all the sweeter.

To BTS: Go, go, go!

I would point out that we are reduced to griping about issues such as:

1. Shipping/arrival times ±2 days

2. DYO battles aren't big enough for some people's tastes (reserving judgment personally)

3. Shipping methods

4. The DYO battle algorithim doesn't pick expensive behemoths like King Tigers very much at all.

5. Shipping issues

Seriously, people, while I am as annoyed as the next guy (perhaps excepting Capt. Manieri) about the delays in shipping, if we can't come up with anything else to complain about, even given how demanding a lot we are, it means BTS has done an incredible job on the game. There will always be gripes - I mean, CivII has an improvement called a "SAM Missile Battery" so obviously no game can be perfect.

Kudos, lauds, accolades, and suchlike go to the fine fold at BTS.

------------------

Questions, comments, arguments, refutations, criticisms, and/or sea stories?

Well, since I started the negative post that is referenced, I don't think it should disqualify me to reply to a positive post.

Steve, Charles, and the rest of the talented BTS staff have a truly significant accomplishment with CM. I can't let my appreciation show more than buying CM and recommending it to all I know.

Just started weeping when it wasn't on the doorstep today. If I persuaded one non-purchase of CM, I deserve a good swift kick up the rump. But I don't think my complaining will be any impact on the success of CM. Its merits stand on its own. A few cry babies (stop looking at me) won't prevent that.

So yea, thanks to BTS for a dream come true.

------------------

Garry Kump

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Just started weeping when it wasn't on the doorstep today. If I persuaded one non-purchase of CM, I deserve a good swift kick up the rump. But I don't think my complaining will be any impact on the success of CM. Its merits stand on its own.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Garry, frankly it's a testament to the value of the game that so many people are upset about waiting a couple of extra days to get it! And I don't think the thread you started will "scare off" any potential buyers. It ended appropriately and in a positive vein.

For the record, I too was very upset that I didn't get the game today. I've been expecting it every single day this week and have been bitterly disappointed each time. Some may scoff at our taking this so seriously, but perhaps they take other things more seriously than we would. Each to their own.

Finally I have done everything I can do to promote this game (2 others have been "sold" on doing pre-orders and I'm bugging the hell out of a couple more) because (a) it's a hell of a good game and (B) I want BTS to succeed so that I'll get more CM games.

Thanks to BTS for all their hard work and bear with us while we anxiously await the fruits of your labor, if it wasn't as good as it is we wouldn't care so much.

Joe

------------------

Compliments appreciated, Questions answered, Death Threats reciprocated.

A HUGE WTG to Steve and Charles.I preordered this on the basis of a demo a long, long time ago and I am sure that the finished product will be superior. I cannot wait until it arrives {I will be more patient....I will be more patient.....I don't want to become a patient}. smile.gif

------------------

------------------------

"When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains, And the women come out to cut up what remains, Jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains, An' go to your Gawd like a soldier."

Kipling

Actually:

2. DYO battles aren't big enough for some people's tastes (reserving judgment personally)

Max size is being increased in the 1.02 patch.

4. The DYO battle algorithim doesn't pick expensive behemoths like King Tigers very much at all.

Nor should it... 3 Pz IVs are worth more than 1 KT in battle terms. People who buy HUGE tanks in DYO battles usually lose... I often do this in DYO PBEM games and my battles are MUCH tougher than if I had just bought a couple of Pz IVs instead of a big-ass Jagdpanther.

Warning: Maudlin Sentimentality Rampant Ahead

I'd like to echo LeftWing66's congratulations to BTS, particularly to Steve and Charles. As I was commuting home on the train, I reflected on the double-blind 1/76 scale WWII miniatures games I used to play 30 odd years ago in high school and college (Tractics, I think was the rule set). We'd spend hours setting up the sandtable, and 8 hours playing maybe 20 minutes of real-time? Things sure have come a long way since then. I don't even think we dreamed of something like CM.

To think that Steve and Charles kept up the effort after AH dropped the project, for what two years? When I really think about what they've accomplished, it's clear how jaded I've become over the last few years.

Used to the excuses of many of the bigger software house, I think I forgot that there are real people who develop these games.

So to all my comrades on this forum from whom I've learned so much, to MadMatt and Fionn who tirelessly kept us informed (and kept us drooling), and most of all to Steve, Charles, and everyone involved in the production of CM, I salute and thank you for what must have been a labor of love.

If all of my fellow forum members would join me in a toast to the developers of CM: Sirs, I salute you and the sacrifices you've made to satisfy the rather unique, eclectic, and sometimes loutish set of CM fanatics who inhabit these forums!

Bob Mercer

------------------

"Next slide, next slide, you swine! Do you want to brief forever?" Apologies to Frederick the Great

Hi,

I am a huge fan of Steve and Charles. Currently I play no computer games, just not interested, but all this will change when my copy of CM turns up. They have produced the game I always hoped for but thought would never come, not this good anyway. They have done a stunning job.

All the best,

Kip.

------------------

Great job on the game guys. I'm extremely surprised at my liking of this game. I hate wargames. Love the concept, but find the strategy and such has a very dull outcome. After buying a couple close combat games just to take them back within weeks, this baby comes out. I like this game so much that i plug it to my friends. I NEVER plug games. This game is an exception. I've never seen effort from a team this small in my life. I didn't know it was financially possible for you guys to slave on this baby. I just hope you guys get the sales to make it all worth it. Great job guys, and i'm about to get 4 people to buy yer game. =)

-KOP