Guest Madmatt

No, there will be no new terrain types until CM2.

Its not as easy as adding a BMP file. The ai would need to be programmed on proper use. the LOS attributes would need to be setup. The cover and concealement factors would need to be determined.

The entire editor would have to tbe re-engineered to add this texture tile.

The automap routines would have to be adjusted to now include sand.

It's not going to happen.

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

I hate to chime in since I know the decision has already been made, but it's a bit disappointing.

Regardless of whether an invasion scenario would be fun, it's sort of difficult to deny that it would be instructive. For most of us, being on bloody-Omaha in CM will be the closest we can ever come to visualizing what happened that morning (short of the movies representations) and personally I'm a bit curious.

p.

Couldn't sand be added with all the properties applied to open ground? Therefore, created one new tile, that LOOKS like sand but has the same properties of open ground. The final kicker would be then to add it to the editor and restricted so it could only be used by humans.

Wouldn't this work? The AI has no NEW terrain properties to deal with and the editor is precluded from misplacing it.

TeAcH

Couldn't sand be added with all the properties applied to open ground? Therefore, BTS creates one new tile, that LOOKS like sand but has the same properties as open ground. The final kicker would be then to add it to the editor and restricted so it could only be used by humans.

Wouldn't this work? The AI has no NEW terrain properties to deal with and the editor is precluded from misplacing it.

TeAcH

As for whether an "invasion" scenario can be fun . . . now that we have the editor we can decide for ourselves.

I have created (and am in the final stages of tweaking) a scenario, using CM's terrain, unit and vehicle types, loosely based on the 1st Marines' invasion of Beach White 1 on Peleliu in Sept. 1944. (See my prior posts under "Blacksilver" -- KIA in the Gold Demo Board Riot Crash -- for my views on CM and the Pacific War.)

Playing the attacking U.S. has been, bar none, the most fun I have ever had playing against the AI. If I had sand and amtracs, it would be far better. Just because Steve and Charles aren't hip to these types of scenarios doesn't mean there isn't a large segment of CM players who wouldn't utilize and enjoy them, and I find it difficult to believe it would be so onerous to patch it.

------------------

R.I.P. Blacksilver

I followed the link, and BTS makes it perfectly clear that there won't be any beach assaults. However, someone mentioned Western Front above - would this be a fun game to spend some time on while I wait for CM to be shipped?

-Scorp

Hmm sand would be good but for the mean time you will have to implement something similar instead.

Just put a coloured grass or somefink similar colour to the sands colour.

Put a few craters in to simulate a naval bombardment.

And dont forget ya tank traps etc

Sand slopes up a bit at the high tide mark so just slope the terran from there.

Cant wait to see them D-DAY missions

Cpt. Stransky

Prussian Aristocrat

Quote from "The Iron Cross" movie

=============================================

"We are attacking, We are defending, We are counter attacking"

=============================================