Patch 1.01 SNEAK PEAK With NEW FEATURE ADDED! CMHQ NOW PEOPLE!!!!

Guest Madmatt

On 02-24-2000 I asked the following question

Topic: The New Smoke's Awesome--Any Hope for Arty Tweaks?

John Kettler

posted 02-24-2000 02:45 AM

The new smoke textures are fabulous, and they got me to thinking about other possibilities.

I mean improved artillery explosions. I found certain aspects of the new smoke to be applicable to depicting artillery explosions,

especially the layering of textures and translucency, though even the solid new white smoke would probably look good with a color change.

I did a search and read the prior posts on explosions, but they were some eight months ago. Given that the smoke's been tweaked, does

BTS or the mod community see any hope for more realistic looking artillery and mortar bursts? I think such a tweak would greatly add to the game's look.

Thanks for all the great work.

John Kettler

Evidently, the answer was really a resounding yes! Thanks a million, BTS!

[This message has been edited by John Kettler (edited 06-08-2000).]

AWESOME.

One thing though, are you doing this to us so that we would:

a/ pre-order the game all over again

b/ pre-order any up coming release TODAY?

BTW, if I order CM2 and CM3 NOW, will I receive CM on time for my upcoming week end?

biggrin.gif

------------------

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped

Did you notice the size of the 14" shell explosion as compared to the pillbox! From VoT experience, those pillboxes are quite large. Yet the HE shell dwarfed them. What is the KZ on those things?

I want to add my voice to the question of framerate hit though. My machine (P1 233MMX w/ Voodoo 3 16mb card) is somewhat marginal when it comes to the game's specs.

Thanks and great job BTS!

The overly-sized pillbox was due to scaling it up with Shift-C so you could see it. biggrin.gif

Oh wait a minute, misunderstood your question. I thought you were referring to another one of the pictures.

Whoops! redface.gif

------------------

"The greatest risk...is not taking one."

[This message has been edited by Maximus (edited 06-08-2000).]

Guest Madmatt

I don't think there was any scaling in the 14" incher picture (Boy don't I wish! Look honey, its eight inches! Really! tongue.gif). They are just HUGE FREAKING MOMMA BOOYA BIG!

As to the frame rate hit on the low end systems, well I can't say as I don't HAVE a low end system! wink.gif But I didn't notice any frame rate change from the new Explosions as compared to the old. As cool and as nice as they now look Charles has come up with a decepetively simple way to implement them so they shouldn't be too much a strain on your system...YMMV of course...

If you turn off the new Explosions they will revert to the ones that you see now in the Demo (which as has been said, still look great too)

It's WIN WIN Baby!!!

But in my opinion, playing the most REVOLUTIONARY AND INNOVATIVE WARGAME EVER, is worth upgrading your system over.... eek.gif

Madmatt cool.gif

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

CMHQ-Annex, The Alternative side of Combat Mission

Combat Mission HQ

CMHQ-Annex

Proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 06-08-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Madmatt:

But in my opinion, playing the most REVOLUTIONARY AND INNOVATIVE WARGAME EVER, is worth upgrading your system over.... eek.gif

Madmatt cool.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt that any devoted CM fan will argue with that opinion. But in my own household where the missus does her part to be frugal above & beyond the call, I gotta be mindful to do my part too. redface.gif Ah well.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jimmy 4 Eyes:

I am glad the full version does not have the winter cami's because I don't own any. Like everyone else I sit in my fatigues with my h harness and flak jacket on while I play. Everyone does this right???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No. As soon as I get home I take off my BDUs, throw them on the floor and stomp on them like they were some kind of deadly spider. wink.gif

------------------

He who gets there the fastest with the mostest wins.

Originally posted by Jimmy 4 Eyes:

I am glad the full version does not have the winter cami's because I don't own any. Like everyone else I sit in my fatigues with my h harness and flak jacket on while I play. Everyone does this right???

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No. As soon as I get home I take off my BDUs, throw them on the floor and stomp on them like they were some kind of deadly spider.

You can really tell the difference. Us old guys still call them fatigues.

And I finally pre-ordered today. And hope I don't have to wait as long as many of you have. smile.gif

Escurlock,

I don't wear fatigues (BDU's) to work so when I come home I throw my suit on the ground and stomp on it like it was mean, nasty spider (only problem is my dry cleaning bill is getting expensive). I would put a smilie in here but some people get pretty offended.

And as for the old guys calling them fatigues I am actually only 30 years old, but when I was in the Marine Reserves (90-97) thats what we called them. Guess a few of the "old" Gunnies rubbed off on me.

Guest Big Time Software

Thanks guys smile.gif Now for a few answers...

1. Impact on VRAM is minimal, impact on game speed is also minimal. Had we tried this with our old specs (last year's) you would have had to switch "minimal" with the word "modest" smile.gif

2. Cards that lack transparancy capabilities will of course not look so cool.

3. In answer to MK and others' questions, the fire graphics and smoke are posterboarded, like smoke and trees. If it were applied to vehicles it would look about the same as right now.

I think I got all the questions smile.gif

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Big Time Software:

the fire graphics and smoke are posterboarded, like smoke and trees.

Steve<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Posterboarded, as in like, they look the same from any angle??

------------------

"The greatest risk...is not taking one."

I am going to get shellshock! biggrin.gif So I guess smokes are going to be improved also in final, right? It won't look like some of pieces of waving table cloth anyorme, right?? biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by bighead (edited 06-09-2000).]