TCP/IP Patch

I have just read a couple of threads regarding the upcoming 1.03 patch and I was shocked to learn that the not only will network play not be in it, but that it is at least two months away. Can someone who knows confirm this? I was willing to wait a little while for network, but two months is going to make me find something else to play. This is a great game, but lack of network play is fatal. If the patch is soon, then cool. Thanks in advance.

IIRC The TCP/IP patch is top priority after they get the first bugs worked out. Also to reflect on the date that the two months start on is a question also, for the first comments about it being two months before the TCP/IP patch would be ready was a little over a month ago even though the recently dated thread says two months still, it may be only a buffer to not put any more stress on Charles than he already has with everything else. smile.gif

I want the TCP/IP just as bad as anyone! I had a friend over this weekend and we played VoT on the gold demo 1.02 (NOTE: Still have not recieved my preorder yet! mad.gif ) via PBEM but just threw the files over the LAN and it took an outrageous amount of time to even pass 10 turns, very disappointing. frown.gif

[This message has been edited by thomasj (edited 07-10-2000).]

thomasj, I just reread your post, you should try the hotseat option. I have a lan here at home, but only one copy of the game. The hot seat was passable for now. I was able to play out a 1000 point quick battle in about 2.5 hours. Kind of a pain, but interesting to hear my brother yell when his tanks brew up ..... smile.gif

Guys, give BTS a break now. IMO they deserve a vacation first. Hopefully they are at some sunny beach somewhere (Trinidad, Bahamas?).

I haven't even got the game yet but I still think they deserve some relaxation before starting on CM2.

Marcus

No problem. Hope that I have the understood the information in my search for the facts concerning this issue properly and that this helps others in clarification. I recently posted in a thread my question concerning the TCP/IP patch and was graciously told what to search for and have since read numerous posts on the matter. My post above is what I got from the mass of threads on the matter. smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by marcusjm:

Guys, give BTS a break now. IMO they deserve a vacation first. Hopefully they are at some sunny beach somewhere (Trinidad, Bahamas?).

I haven't even got the game yet but I still think they deserve some relaxation before starting on CM2.

Marcus<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The reason for my post was to give BTS a break. It is very tiresome at times to try and sort through all the past posts to find an answer to your question and I can understand why it would be an issue to some. We have seen two versions for the game (1.02, and soon 1.03) and no updated word on the TCP/IP patch. I wholeheartedly agree with you that they deserve a vacation of vacations before they even begin to touch CM2, but hopefully not before the TCP/IP patch is released. smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steel Rain:

thomasj, I just reread your post, you should try the hotseat option. I have a lan here at home, but only one copy of the game. The hot seat was passable for now. I was able to play out a 1000 point quick battle in about 2.5 hours. Kind of a pain, but interesting to hear my brother yell when his tanks brew up ..... smile.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

We thought about it, but both us of being prior military and still working for the Department of Defense are what you may call paraniod bastards and didn't even begin to go into the issues of trust and not looking while one was making thier turn (Note: Old military saying: I'll trust you with my life, but not my money or my wife/CM game!"). So we both took seperate machines and hammered away at one another in the confines of our privacy. smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I agree that TCP/IP should be the only priority being worked on. Playing two player hotseat games take 3-6 hrs a sitting to finish. More importantly I am concerned with reviewers looking at this excellent product and possibly giving it a lower score/review without internet play. It seems in this day in age that without it, most reviewers/potential cutomers get a little upset if head-to-head gaming is not a possibility.

Dont get me wrong BTS did the right thing in releasing CM and having us receive the patch at a later time. I just hope TCP/IP is not being put on the back burners in order to create new patches/fixes. Oh well couple of months is nothing to wait for in CM time smile.gif

It just struck me that you could play hotseat over TCP/IP with a program like Timbuktu if you have it....

It would require some sort of honor system, so that the players wouldn't watch each others moves, but it could work.

[This message has been edited by chrisl (edited 07-22-2000).]

My guesses about TCP/IP -

1) It will only support two players. I don't know if there are plans to support more, but probably not until CM2 (since more than two players would probably require quite a few other changes).

2) The TCP/IP support might not make the game any faster than Hotseat play (other than the need for a password at each turn). I'm guessing that the data is going to be similar to PBEM-type files (though you won't have to conciously post them to the other player) with execution being handled by one computer then the other and then allow for simultaneous viewing of the results (with of some sort security implemented).

3) TCP/IP support can be quite a chore to program. Getting everything down the way gamers want it (and cross-platform to boot) will be time consuming.

Everyone was anxious six months ago to get their grimey paws on the game and voted to have TCP/IP support come out in a patch. I still agree with that vote. TCP/IP will be nice once it is available (if your opponents are in a time-zone close to you), but it doesn't ruin the game's appeal for me without it.

[This message has been edited by Schrullenhaft (edited 07-22-2000).]

As far as the TCP/IP playing out same as the PBEM sequencing... IIRC, Orders will be entered simultanously, as well as viewing the movie. That's probably why it's gonna take longer that you would think. They not only have to write the code to transfer the files, but also have to modify the code that handles the sequencing. And don't forget, more than likely, they will give the TCP/IP patch to the beta testers to test out probably a good week or so even after coding is completed. So give em some time.

Timbuktu (For MacIntosh) or PC Anywhere (For Windows platforms) are programs that allow you to remotely control another computer. Your computer 'takes over' the other which you are connected to. This would allow you to essentially play CM 'together,' as each person could alternately take control of the mouse/keyboard. The problem being that you both get to see what each other is doing, requiring a degree of trust and honor.

This raises another issue, since the client (computer doing the connecting) can lock the host (computer being connected to) out of commands. You'll need to trust the person who is connecting to your computer, since that person can do whatever they want to it.

I am not sure what VNC is, but I have heard of a PC Anywhere-like web-based free program. Have you tried it? Does it work?

-Scorp

Hi Scorpion

<UL>

Quote:

I am not sure what VNC is, but I have heard of a PC Anywhere-like web-based free program. Have you tried it? Does it work?

Yes on both questions. You can use the viewer application, but it's far more convenient to just use a web browser to connect to the remote computer.

[This message has been edited by Sitting Duck (edited 07-26-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

My guesses about TCP/IP -

3) TCP/IP support can be quite a chore to program. Getting everything down the way gamers want it (and cross-platform to boot) will be time consuming.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do not think the cross-platform issue will be a problem. I have copied saved game files from my Mac to play on my PC, and vice versa, and I have never had a problem.

timbuktu works for both PC and Mac (and interoperates between them). It's used for remote system administration, as well as things like using your desktop machine when on the road.

Unfortunately it's true that it doesn't let you provide restricted access to remote users (either they can control your machine or they can't) except under NT, where you can make them an NT User with limited access, but you can't run CM on NT.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by thomasj:

We thought about it, but both us of being prior military and still working for the Department of Defense are what you may call paraniod bastards and didn't even begin to go into the issues of trust and not looking while one was making thier turn (Note: Old military saying: I'll trust you with my life, but not my money or my wife/CM game!"). So we both took seperate machines and hammered away at one another in the confines of our privacy. smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK

Now I'm Curious

Help me out here

How can you set up two computer

to play hot seat across a Lan

Is only one CD required?

How to you (in exact techno weenie

detail) connet two Macs for

Lan Hotseat Play?

I would be delighted to set

this up.

how does it work?

-tom w

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> "Have you thanked BTS by buying your SECOND copy of CM yet?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>