Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Combat Mission Shock Force 2 - Invitational Grand Tournament

On 6/27/2024 at 8:28 PM, Andrew Kulin said:

Well then, ain't I gonna be borked.

And FWIW, I also think adding 10 days is the right thing to do.

Whoa just saw the scoreboard, how did you win defending as the uncons? Or did your opponent just quit and surrender.

On 6/27/2024 at 11:06 PM, BFCElvis said:

The 10 days have been added. 

Please make sure to complete battles and not use ceasefire or surrender.....if you do the scores will be wonky.

Good call. I wouldnt want to gain a position based on games not finished.

On 6/26/2024 at 8:59 AM, MeatEtr said:

Yeah I'm all for it! But not sure if Matrix did indeed bump us back a turn or not. I assume not since I haven't got a turn from @M.Herm. Guess they could have and he just hasn't checked for the new turn. If we can get past this speed bump then we can probably finish our 2nd game.

I checked it every day, there is no turn. Is it not possible to set the turn back like the support does in "normal" pbem++ games?

Hey Everyone,

As the tournament comes to an end, I just wanted to share a few words from a participant’s perspective. It's been an incredible journey, and I'm grateful to have been part of it. It's a bummer that some people experienced issues out of their control which affected the scores, but let's not get tangled up in that.

First off, big congrats to the top 3 @Andrew Kulin@MeatEtr@Jackal2100! To everyone who competed, it was awesome facing off against such skilled opponents. Every match was a learning experience, and I think we all grew as players.

And of course, a massive thank you to @BFCElvisand other organizers in the shadows. Thanks to @George MC for taking the time to created some really good scenarios just for us. Finally, thanks to Slitherine for the prize pool. You guys made this tournament happen, and your work behind the scenes is truly appreciated.

I’m looking forward to future tournaments and more great matches with all of you. Thanks again for making this event!

53 minutes ago, AtlasActual said:

Hey Everyone,

As the tournament comes to an end, I just wanted to share a few words from a participant’s perspective. It's been an incredible journey, and I'm grateful to have been part of it. It's a bummer that some people experienced issues out of their control which affected the scores, but let's not get tangled up in that.

First off, big congrats to the top 3 @Andrew Kulin@MeatEtr@Jackal2100! To everyone who competed, it was awesome facing off against such skilled opponents. Every match was a learning experience, and I think we all grew as players.

And of course, a massive thank you to @BFCElvisand other organizers in the shadows. Thanks to @George MC for taking the time to created some really good scenarios just for us. Finally, thanks to Slitherine for the prize pool. You guys made this tournament happen, and your work behind the scenes is truly appreciated.

I’m looking forward to future tournaments and more great matches with all of you. Thanks again for making this event!

Hear, hear! 

Yeah another fun tourney in the books. Thanks for putting this together and special shout out to @George MC for these scenarios. They were fun and unique in their own ways. 👍

A bummer we didn't get to finish our last battle @M.Herm because of that weird and rare crash.

Also technically if my score was corrected (+269) from the surrender/cease fire bug, then that would put me into 1st place. But then again if Andrews is also corrected then he would still take first place. Not his fault his opponent surrendered the last Rd. He got lucky point wise this last rd but lost out on playing a fun battle. Point being, I'm fine if you wanna just the leave standings as they are @BFCElvis No problem!

Good games everyone, it was a blast! 😀

First off, I want to say thanks to BFC Elvis and to George for putting together this tournament.  I think the choice of RED vs. RED (Syrian Civil War) was an excellent idea and provided for potentially balanced scenarios with like vs. like equipment.  I greatly enjoyed all three scenarios.

With regard to the final outcomes I was disappointed my opponent surrendered early in the two games.  While I had sent him a message at the beginning of the round, I never heard a peep from him (he has not yet read my note from two months ago on the BFC forum).  I can only surmise that some real life issue arose and that he concluded he could not carry on and so he surrendered.  At least he did not just simply disappear and leave the game hanging with low interim scores.

Looking at the scores on the Matrix site, it seems once the tourney ends, it thinks each of us timed out by not replying to the last turn sent to each opponent.  So with the way the PBEM+ system works, of the two mirrored games, each of us would end up with one playable file.  So in one game I would see the final score, and when ending the turn, the system would prompt me to send a return file to my opponent.  In the other game, I would receive the final turn, end it, and would keep it (no send back to opponent and I can open it up again in perpetuity).  My thinking here then being, is the end-tournament scoring system sees I did not return the last turn so treats it as a timed out game (T) and performs some voodoo math on the score.  And does same to my opponent for the other game.  Thus we each have a "T" but in opposite games.

I will further assume that the end-game scoring system must have some code that looks for number of turns played by the opponent, knowing total amount of turns for a full game (say 88), and if in a surrender scenario 50 turns are played, this is less than 88, so a time out is assigned, and then the voodoo math is applied.

But, during game play, besides what I will call the black magic (3-1) turn scoring system reporting back to Matrix the results of a CM game turn, there is also direct communication of an actual final CM calculated score, during the tournament in the case of surrender/ceasefire, as well as when a game has been fully played out to its natural (full-time) conclusion.  But because surrender/ceasefire will happen before the looked for number of turns, the system says to itself timed out game and applies voodoo math. So maybe adding a flag in the code that says an actual game score provided to matrix tournament system is generated by CM game engine (normally, not the black magic way) and that this score does not get further modified at end of tournament regardless of turn count (i.e., flag starts at 0, and if CM generated game score is submitted to Matrix, then flag = 1, and then Matrix does not touch the score when tournament ends.

Maybe something BFC/Matrix can think about.

Screenshot 2024-07-14 073321.jpg

2 hours ago, Andrew Kulin said:

Maybe something BFC/Matrix can think about.

Oh we're thinking about it plenty. The investigations revolve around whether the game is not sending the proper "this battle has ended" (regardless of how a battle ends) information to the severs or the server is not reading the information properly, and only reading battles that are played to completion. For now, I would recommend that anyone playing a tournament battle should complete the battle and not use the surrender or ceasefire features. The tournament annoucements will say this but I'm not convinced anyone reads them. 🙂 

CONGRATS, Andrew!!!!!! Well done. I hope that everyone enjoyed the tournament and a special thank you to @George MC for creating the battles.

Everything that needs to be said has already been said.

Good and friendly opponents, communicatively reliable, much more reliable than me.

Very well crafted scenarios.

Lob und Anerkennung.

Thanks for the great tournament and the great battles. My opponents were all very friendly, and each gave me all that I could handle. Each scenario was very well designed and I was always on my toes. The bugs in the scoring notwithstanding, I'd say this tourney was a great success, and look forward to future endeavors.

11 hours ago, M.Herm said:

Everything that needs to be said has already been said.

Good and friendly opponents, communicatively reliable, much more reliable than me.

Very well crafted scenarios.

Lob und Anerkennung.

Looking forward to your movies for your Round 3 battle.

If you want to see how you would have done in the tourney I've uploaded the three scenarios used to the FGM

https://www.thefewgoodmen.com/tsd3/cm-shock-force-2-2/cmsf2-gmc-grand-invitational-tourney-scenarios/

Please note there are NO AI plans. These are for play H2H ONLY.

The time limits and victory conditions etc are as used in the tourney.

Enjoy!