Returning --- Question about SP + QB?

Well, I have been playing since CMBO.

I am back after a few years and own all current titles and packs.

Yes, I know, I have years worth of content.  But still I have a question regarding single player and quick battles.

Has anyone written a guide/thread besides what appears in the v4.00 engine manual on how to get the best experience our of the QB battles for single player/WEGO/warrior?  Or might someone have collection of links?

Thank you!

Not aware of any guide for QB's v the AI, I play a fair few though so these are my observations for what their worth. The A.I. for QB's is 'one size fits all', so all weapon systems from tanks to heavy A.T. guns, are treated the same, regardless, so you will see things like bunkers or immovable guns plonked at the back of the map because the game put them in a AI group with movement orders. For that reason its usually best to avoid anything that cannot move. For the same reason things like mortars and infantry guns are best kept off map (otherwise quite often you will see these being dragged into the assault by their crews) . It is possible to get a reasonable quick battle against the a.i. if you bare the systems limitations in mind when purchasing units for the opposition. I never let the computer choose its own units.

In my opinion the qb system needs an overall when we get to CM3.

There is an option for 'automatic' unit selection and you can set the type of force such as 'infantry only' or 'armor only' or 'mix' (mixture of infantry and armor) but it really is pot luck what the computer will pick. Sometimes the force selection is ok, other times you get some weird picks (though I believe this has improved since the early days of CM2).

3 minutes ago, CarlXII said:

Quick battles are useful for some simple testing of equipment and tactics...nothing more.

I had some fun and learnt a bit with QBs when I started. 

And then came the battle where I was confronted by 9 AI-selected Sherman flail tanks all clearing the road (with turrets turned to the rear) as they advanced towards my Jagdtiger and its friends.  That got messy very quickly 🫣 and I think I moved away from QBs shortly afterwards.

21 minutes ago, Lieutenant Ash said:

Which demonstrates why the quick battle system needs further development. 

I certainly does...

The basic idea of the quick battles is a very good one and if the AI opponent could be improved significantelly it would be a great option for some quick gameplay...

As it stands today...Not so much.

Thanks guys.

I had a zip of 6000 CMBO/CMBB/CMAK battles.  And use to play them.  After 3 years is up (wrap around), you forget where all the ATGs and bunkers are hidden.

Now, at my age, I think the full collection of CMv4 content might just be infinitely replayable even without the QB system.  Haha.

9 hours ago, Vacillator said:

I had some fun and learnt a bit with QBs when I started. 

And then came the battle where I was confronted by 9 AI-selected Sherman flail tanks all clearing the road (with turrets turned to the rear) as they advanced towards my Jagdtiger and its friends.  That got messy very quickly 🫣 and I think I moved away from QBs shortly afterwards.

Flail tanks operate with their guns pointed at the rear when the flails are operating. Not a game bug.

3 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

Testing is the other one and also for people who are absolutely new playing the game.

For testing, I just made a "shooting range" scenario.

And I really advise people who are new to the game to avoid quick battles in order not to get a bad impression of the game. Instead, I think they should play the tutorial campaigns.

10 minutes ago, Bulletpoint said:

I think they should play the tutorial campaigns.

Yes the natural way to start. But too many myself included started with a small scenario not realizing they often are very hard. Underestimating small scenarios and overestimating huge scenarios for the wrong reasons. 

19 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

Yes the natural way to start. But too many myself included started with a small scenario not realizing they often are very hard. Underestimating small scenarios and overestimating huge scenarios for the wrong reasons. 

Yep, some of the smallest scenarios I've played have also been the hardest.

6 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

Flail tanks operate with their guns pointed at the rear when the flails are operating. Not a game bug.

No-one said it was a bug. 

The point was that the AI had selected 9 Sherman Flails (and pretty much nothing else) and was advancing them all up a road (which was not mined anyway) with them all flailing, so all turrets pointing to the rear.  None of that makes much sense.

3 hours ago, CarlXII said:

I think what Vascillator is refering to is the somewhat 'strange' force selection to pick 9 flail tanks and the tactical choise of doing so...

There is nothing wrong with the flail tank itself...

Correct, thanks.

Yes, not wishing to repeat myself, but the fact that many people have written off quick battles against the computer as pointless, when it should be a viable way of playing the game in single player (it will never be as good as a well thought out scenario) means the system needs more work.

9 minutes ago, Lieutenant Ash said:

Yes, not wishing to repeat myself, but the fact that many people have written off quick battles against the computer as pointless, when it should be a viable way of playing the game in single player (it will never be as good as a well thought out scenario) means the system needs more work.

Or a player goes in the editor to design battle plans for it. The map is already there, rename select forces with battle plans save it under scenarios. Play it a year later or post it giving credit to the original map designer.

1 hour ago, chuckdyke said:

Or a player goes in the editor to design battle plans for it. The map is already there, rename select forces with battle plans save it under scenarios. Play it a year later or post it giving credit to the original map designer.

Yepp...

But doing it that way you loose the whole point of...QUICK BATTLES !

The AI force picking was greatly improved back a while ago, HOWEVER, it still does bizarre things, and it gets weirder as the battle size gets smaller, like small and tiny. Still needs work. 

One thing they are good for though, is to practice tactics. Set up the AI played side as defense and pick their forces, pick your own offensive force, and practice a company assault with a few supporting tanks against a village defended by a platoon with 2 AT guns, for example. You'll know what they have, but not where they are, although you can guess likely locations, which in a lot of real life cases might not be that far off.  If you pick reasonable forces for the AI, it will usually do a halfway decent job of setting up, I've found. Or even if it doesn't, you won't know where they are until you find them.