Why never a Sdkfz7?

I assume it's for the same reason that many other heavy prime movers are not included, it's technically outside of the scope of CM games.

Those large guns would be impractical to use in a mobile offensive role, and if they're already in place they don't need to be moved and so the heavy prime movers will be well behind the lines and out of combat.

That being said, it would be pretty neat, I won't be complaining if they if they eventually introduce heavy prime movers so we could move the big guns despite the impracticality 😆

I don't know German AT gun doctrine. I would think though, after their position is revealed, a good tactic would be, if possible, pack and hitch up and move. I suspect it's not in the game is because of the work involved in the animation of having every different gun and crew doing that, and have it look passably real.

On 2/5/2024 at 10:35 AM, Sequoia said:

I don't know German AT gun doctrine. I would think though, after their position is revealed, a good tactic would be, if possible, pack and hitch up and move. I suspect it's not in the game is because of the work involved in the animation of having every different gun and crew doing that, and have it look passably real.

True, shooting and scooting to another prepared position after an AT gun is revealed does sound like good idea, I haven't considered that. Not sure if it was done though.

I know that many heavy guns are theoretically capable of being set up in a few minutes or even fired from the travel mount in emergencies, but I'm not sure how often it was actually done or if was common enough to implement into CM games. I feel like it probably wouldn't be done in ideal scenarios as you wouldn't want to risk the vulnerable transports.

On 2/4/2024 at 11:54 PM, Probus said:

Wiki says it can be set up in an AT role in 2.5 minutes.

So game time is not the reason then.  More likely this:

On 2/5/2024 at 2:35 AM, Sequoia said:

the work involved in the animation of having every different gun and crew doing that

I'd be happy to look the other way while the gun and crew magically re-connect...

On 2/7/2024 at 7:45 PM, Vacillator said:

I'd be happy to look the other way while the gun and crew magically re-connect...

Yeah, even if it was janky without proper animations, I would take functionality over graphics any day.

I wonder if AA and Heavy guns not being able to be towed in WW2 CM games is due to the heavy tractors not being included in the games, or if the heavy tractors were not included because the AA and Heavy guns were not intended to be towed. A chicken and egg situation perhaps.

5 minutes ago, Erwin said:

My understanding was that it took too much time for a typical CM mission. 

I also thought I'd read that was the reason, but:

On 2/4/2024 at 11:54 PM, Probus said:

Wiki says it can be set up in an AT role in 2.5 minutes...

I'm not totally clear what 'it' is but I think the discussion was about large AT/AA guns in general.  Being currently in the middle of a 3 hour game, I seem to have plenty of time to drop off, deploy, perhaps fire, pick up, move, drop off etc.?  Instead of which I have two Pak40s being manually pushed to relocate them.  Not sure how often that happened apart from short distances?

36 minutes ago, Probus said:

I'm tellin' ya... Wikipedia says 2.5 minutes

😂

Even if it was 30 minutes in my 3 hour game, that would be do-able (and useful).  Otherwise you have a big chunk of metal sat in the wrong place right up to 3 hours.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty sure that the 88mm can be fired from the travel carriage for the AT role in an emergency, maybe that's what the 2.5 min figure is referring to?

Maybe such guns could get a semi-deployed state with low accuracy and fire rate to represent the crew desperately manhandling the gun into a barely usable position, while it still needs to be fully emplaced to have full accuracy and fire rate.