Fallujah Map for Future campaign

Ive had this map of the Fullujah Jolan District on my hard drive for over a year working on it little by little. It's still being tweaked. I would like your thoughts on it. Ive tried to keep it reasonably accurate and still make it playable. It is 1376m wide and 1440m deep. It included the rail station and the large cemetery. To do the cemetery and not having the typical burial facilities that Iraq used, I had to improvise by creating the tombs with the smallest single story buildings in the editor and submerging them into the ground. Then make them all look the same. It's not perfect but hopefully will give the impression of a large cemetery.

Since I am planning on making a campaign of the battle I would like some thoughts. I can use the entire map and have the action at battalion level combat with a lot of moving pieces, or cut the map in sections for a smaller scale action. Or a combination of both. Obviously for those who are not fans of MOUT combat this will not appeal too. But for those that do it should be a urban slugfest.

Anyway here is the link to some quick screenies so take a look and let me know what some thoughts are. I am still tweaking it, height adjustments, terrain tweaks etc.

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/39mh26tih7w6r9n,cqj2oksu1mq0qto,240ri57s14p8idt,139ayqn99wft6nn,p7f3aw7h5lzgqlf,np1izv5e5cedjwl,mya8xyjqraeq2dh,pbfsj6hdbubak8j,au74m03ubwqa3un,5dxj0x9q4weg9df,naszyrf0rttzksr,ec8mc02hkckglbp/shared

Thanks

Michael

Map looks very good, suggestions that i would give you is to do more micro terrain, small elevations and ditches, put some trash as flavor objects maybe, Fallujah had alot of those, and maybe some more texture variation on some houses, but that's optional.

Edited by LukaFromFallujah

Yes I have been adding in some grass and terrain details since I posted this. I will add flavor objects once I decide whether to break the map into segments for each individual battle or keep it  as one big map. That way I won't have to reposition the pesky flavor objects lol.

Thanks for the kind comments guys. In my infinite wisdom I was editing it some more and saved it. I then went to a core file to check something and make an adjustment and being the idiot that I am saved it with the same file name so it wrote over my work of art and now I have 100x100 map lol. After throwing up from destroying 50 hours of design time I decided I will work on something else and come back to this project at a later date.

Oh ouch. That sucks! We have all suffered similarly at one time or another.

It is too late to save this file but may I suggest creating a back up regime. You can go whole hog on backup software and removable drives or you can just have a script .zip up a directory and copy it some where with an incrementing number.

I have a set of .bat files on my windows box that I use when working on scenarios so that I an zip up the folder and keep the last 10 .zip files for the project. DM me if you want to talk details.

14 minutes ago, A Canadian Cat - was IanL said:

Oh ouch. That sucks! We have all suffered similarly at one time or another.

It is too late to save this file but may I suggest creating a back up regime. You can go whole hog on backup software and removable drives or you can just have a script .zip up a directory and copy it some where with an incrementing number.

I have a set of .bat files on my windows box that I use when working on scenarios so that I a zip up the folder and keep the last 10 .zip files for the project. DM me if you want to talk details.

Thanks a bunch for the suggestion. Yea I will definitely do better lol. Good thing is I found a saved file of the map that was half finished so I’ve been working on it. Should have it ready soon hopefully.

Ok remade the Fullajah Map Jolan District and here are a few screenshots of it. Still adding some flavor objects and stuff. Would love to really add in a bunch of flavor stuff but it's a big map with a heavy population of buildings so don't want to slow everything to a crawl. Its dirty city, I tried to make it as accurate as the editor would let me. In reality a lot of the buildings were crammed in tight so I still needed it to be playable from the games stand point. But hopefully it will be fun to fight through. Now to get those 3/5 Marines busy.

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/jgx0jjygy6tbznu,kfbxcwadf5kwe2s,jy3wn9a4ywrdzt0,gl523a939mj9l6a,jyssx4r9qgvo27i,178a4fs25r90e61,fmqkc3vu2xnvm67,2mk34tgbawxepmb,94wp3zh77iy4smh,vijk8zqy9qkk2s7,8mpl64tabsqagky,frvenlw1fdxpwlz,r9g1d7kwh6qycch,bakzynx58ym9ftb/shared

I know what people mean about MOUT.  I learned my MOUT SOP playing a scenario called something like "The Relief of Joker 3" on the (at the time) amazing Ramada map.  (It was a long time ago so am sorry I don't recall the designer's name.)

Once you get the MOUT "system" down (in CM2), MOUT ops (in CM2) can get very repetitive.  A serious challenge is that in CM2, it's often hard to see what is going on due to the viewpoint getting blocked by buildings etc.  

On 1/31/2024 at 3:39 PM, dragonwynn said:

Ok remade the Fullajah Map Jolan District and here are a few screenshots of it. But hopefully it will be fun to fight through. 

+1  This is looking like a very cool urban map.  Reminds me of the map @LongLeftFlank made of the  Ramadi-Government-Center.  Besides just the historical battle that took place many other types of scenarios can also be created on a detailed map like this.  Very nice addition for CMSF2.  

2 minutes ago, MOS:96B2P said:

+1  This is looking like a very cool urban map.  Reminds me of the map @LongLeftFlank made of the  Ramadi-Government-Center.  Besides just the historical battle that took place many other types of scenarios can also be created on a detailed map like this.  Very nice addition for CMSF2.  

weird thing is I was watching a video taken by a unit in Ramadi and recognized a stretch of road from LLFs map.  😛

Thanks for the compliments on the map. Because of its size I’m breaking it down in segments from the master map and designing missions from there. It’s semi historical based around the USMC 3-5 and though the map isn’t totally to scale I’ve tried to make it as close to the layout of the Jolan District that I could and still keep it playable. We shall see how it goes working on a third mission now.

20 minutes ago, dragonwynn said:

Because of its size I’m breaking it down in segments from the master map and designing missions from there. It’s semi historical based around the USMC 3-5 and though the map isn’t totally to scale I’ve tried to make it as close to the layout of the Jolan District that I could and still keep it playable. 

I think you said in the opening post that the master map was 1376m wide and 1440m deep. It is pretty incredible (and time consuming) to make a detailed urban map of that size. I hope you consider releasing the master map at some point.   :)  

6 hours ago, dragonwynn said:

Thanks for the compliments on the map. Because of its size I’m breaking it down in segments from the master map and designing missions from there. It’s semi historical based around the USMC 3-5 and though the map isn’t totally to scale I’ve tried to make it as close to the layout of the Jolan District that I could and still keep it playable. We shall see how it goes working on a third mission now.

I was working on a SADR city map.  I may release a portion of it as I'll never finish the full map.  It will just crash CM at this point.

CM Shock Force 2 2_3_2024 11_36_52 PM.png

"Zawiya Uprising" did a great job using portions of the same map in a campaign so there is continuation from one mission to the next as one uses a portion of the map from each immediately preceding mission.  That's the best one can do in the absence of the wonderful CM1 "Operations" that enabled one to play in a "window" of a much larger map.  (In a CM1 "Operation/Campaign" the window either advanced or retreated in each successive mission depending on previous mission success or failure.)

32 minutes ago, Erwin said:

"Zawiya Uprising" did a great job using portions of the same map in a campaign so there is continuation from one mission to the next as one uses a portion of the map from each immediately preceding mission.  That's the best one can do in the absence of the wonderful CM1 "Operations" that enabled one to play in a "window" of a much larger map.  (In a CM1 "Operation/Campaign" the window either advanced or retreated in each successive mission depending on previous mission success or failure.)

That would be a cool feature I had forgot about it.

• 1 month later...
On 1/26/2024 at 10:32 AM, LukaFromFallujah said:

Map looks very good, suggestions that i would give you is to do more micro terrain, small elevations and ditches, put some trash as flavor objects maybe, Fallujah had alot of those, and maybe some more texture variation on some houses, but that's optional.

I tried to send you a pm but it said you are unable to receive.  Of course maybe I did something wrong.  I'll get the requested mod to you somehow. We will get it figured out. 

I'll stay OT by saying the very first Chiraq scenario is set on this Fallujah map.  :)  

Edited by MOS:96B2P

• 2 weeks later...