Open or Closed Hatch, That Is The Question

18 hours ago, Anthony P. said:

@Grey_Fox re your earlier (valuable) advice, do you know if there's a spotting bonus for targets to the front of the tank if the commander is buttoned up for tanks with thermal sights? I.e., do modern AFVs like Abrams, Bradley, etc. receive a spotting penalty for targets to their front if the commander is unbuttoned?

I did some digging (and by that I mean I asked around), and none of the armoured vehicles in CMCW equipped with thermal imagers would have allowed the commander to view the commander's thermal imager repeater while turned out.

The M1A2 *might*, if they were to position themselves very very awkwardly to look at the screen, but otherwise it shouldn't be modelled. Which doesn't mean it isn't modelled, but it shouldn't be.

Also, the reason the M60 TTS imager was superior was that it was displayed on a screen, while for the M1 it was displayed in an ocular sight.

Edited by Grey_Fox

4 hours ago, Grey_Fox said:

I did some digging (and by that I mean I asked around), and none of the armoured vehicles in CMCW equipped with thermal imagers would have allowed the commander to view the commander's thermal imager repeater while turned out.

The M1A2 *might*, if they were to position themselves very very awkwardly to look at the screen, but otherwise it shouldn't be modelled. Which doesn't mean it isn't modelled, but it shouldn't be.

Also, the reason the M60 TTS imager was superior was that it was displayed on a screen, while for the M1 it was displayed in an ocular sight.

Right, but the commander is still limited to seeing what the gunner sees, so the screen doesn't help with situational awareness. 

H

Just the other day I had a buttoned M60A3 Rise+ sitting on a trail facing downhill with a clear line of sight to the woods at the end of the trail when a T-64 popped out of the woods and with one shot killed the M60. The M60 didn't get a shot off and needless to say, this was frustrating as hell!

56 minutes ago, Halmbarte said:

Right, but the commander is still limited to seeing what the gunner sees, so the screen doesn't help with situational awareness. 

H

It actually should help a bit. Have you ever watched over a friend's shoulder as they were playing a video game, and you spotted an enemy that they seemed completely oblivious to? You're both looking at the same screen, so should theoretically be capable of spotting the same things. But they're focused on one part of the screen, while you are free to scan another part of the screen.

6 hours ago, Grey_Fox said:

The question is how it all works in CM though. CITV definitely isn't locked straight ahead IRL but as your previous tests demonstrated, it is in game.

12 hours ago, Bannon said:

Just the other day I had a buttoned M60A3 Rise+ sitting on a trail facing downhill with a clear line of sight to the woods at the end of the trail when a T-64 popped out of the woods and with one shot killed the M60. The M60 didn't get a shot off and needless to say, this was frustrating as hell!

When I have T64s I think most of the gunners & TCs are suffering from methanol induced blindness. And don't get me started about the BMP gunners. 

H

On 2/14/2024 at 3:36 AM, Halmbarte said:

When I have T64s I think most of the gunners & TCs are suffering from methanol induced blindness. And don't get me started about the BMP gunners. 

H

While I experience same results, often higher experience of the crew helps.

Once one of my T62 (buttoned up) almost got the jump on a M60 TTS in relatively close range (rounds about 300m).

They spotted each other almost at the same time but the TTS was just a little faster and killed my Tank.

The T62 crews experience was on crack though.

This might not sound like much but usually my encounters ending with the T62s getting shot bright up while they couldnt figure out what actually shot them. :D

BMPs can be manned with an additional commander. This probably helps the BMP2 more than the Bmp1 because of the location of his seat.

They wont get anything near eagle like sight for sure but it rises their combat effectiveness quite a bit in my experience.

If I have some spare infantrymen or HQ units I often let some stay in these BMP.

Edited by Brille

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, it's worth detaching scout teams from the mounted mechanised infantry even when sending the BMP/BTRs to do anything which relies on them doing their own spotting to fill the commanders' seats. Relying on the two man crew gives them a hard time spotting anything.