Smoke Not Available After Maximum Fire Mission Completes

Think I have read about this in some post but can't find it. Playing a CMCW scenario where I need to use smoke at the end of an arty mission that will use all the battery's HE.  However, I then realized that if you shoot off all your HE rounds and fire mission completes the Support Roster for the tubes show "Empty" and you cannot choose it for a smoke mission, even though smoke was an option at the beginning and the rounds are surely still available to the battery. Is this a known bug with a fix being worked on or is it an unfortunate feature of CM2 code. Reason I ask is IRL it is not uncommon for units, via their FIST, to plan fires that involve smoke to be used at the end of an HE fire mission.

Unfortunately this is a known thing with all the off map artillery through all the games. I don´t know if this is intentional but it is one of the reasons why I use rather on map mortars than off map ones.

On map assets can spend all their HE and still can fire their smoke rounds.

From what I remember the smoke rounds that show for off map artillery is counted as a subset of total rounds.  In other words, if you have 50 rounds and 10 smoke, then you can either fire ten smoke and 40 HE or you can fire 50 HE and no smoke because the smoke rounds aren't separate things from the HE.

13 hours ago, Erwin said:

That is correct.  The question is how is that realistic?

It's not. HE rounds don't get converted to Smoke in real life. And there *should* be enough fuzes for all the rounds, regardless of what types. We usually had extra fuzes. I think this is on the list of things to fix somewhere. I'll try to search for it.

Dave

20 minutes ago, Ultradave said:

I think this is on the list of things to fix somewhere. I'll try to search for it.

Dave, feel free not to answer this as it's not really fair to ask you, but I'll ask anyway. 

Are all of the things on 'the list of things to fix' actively being looked at by Charles or whoever?  I would imagine some kind of 'order system', like:

1. these ones absolutely need to be fixed urgently as they ruin aspects of the game
  2. these ones need to be fixed but not so urgently
  3. these ones would fix historical accuracy
  4. these ones would fix appearances
  5. these ones are a waste of time even thinking about
  6. etc. 

Not necessarily the above but you know what I mean...

32 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

Dave, feel free not to answer this as it's not really fair to ask you, but I'll ask anyway. 

Are all of the things on 'the list of things to fix' actively being looked at by Charles or whoever?  I would imagine some kind of 'order system', like:

1. these ones absolutely need to be fixed urgently as they ruin aspects of the game
  2. these ones need to be fixed but not so urgently
  3. these ones would fix historical accuracy
  4. these ones would fix appearances
  5. these ones are a waste of time even thinking about
  6. etc. 

Not necessarily the above but you know what I mean...

Yes, to 1-4. Entries are categorized by game, by severity, (like game-breaking down to minor graphics or QOL). There's also a way to indicate it applies to all games. And the "by game" is broken down by version, so that when a new patch is being tested, bugs can be categorized specifically to the new version. 

I don't think anyone posts an issue that would apply to number 5. Usually, in the beta forum there is some discussion if it's an oddball or potentially either non-fixable or working as designed prior to posting, but pretty much the beta testers know when they reproduce something that they just go post it without a bunch of back and forth discussion, maybe just a heads up that "I found these 5 issues and posted a Mantis report for each", so there isn't duplication. 

Then there is a robust search tool, to go look at status, or use keywords and choices to see if something is already posted. 

Hope that helps.

Dave

On 12/28/2023 at 12:11 PM, Ultradave said:

It's not. HE rounds don't get converted to Smoke in real life. And there *should* be enough fuzes for all the rounds, regardless of what types. We usually had extra fuzes. I think this is on the list of things to fix somewhere. I'll try to search for it.

Dave

Interesting I had it in my head that it was historically accurate the way the game is not. However my entries in the FAQ do *not* actually say that. They just explain how the game works - as above. Very interesting.

So, @Ultradave is the issue already reported? I don't remember it being discussed. Mind you it could have been before my time.

2 hours ago, IanL said:

Interesting I had it in my head that it was historically accurate the way the game is not. However my entries in the FAQ do *not* actually say that. They just explain how the game works - as above. Very interesting.

So, @Ultradave is the issue already reported? I don't remember it being discussed. Mind you it could have been before my time.

I looked and I don't see it in Mantis. Tried searching several ways.

Dave

I agree with the original poster of this topic. I have encountered this same problem. I think this is a definite issue that should be updated.

The smoke should still be available after all of the HE has been used.

I too would like a smoke mission. I have timed one off board artillery to wait and I was hoping to time its mission with an second off board smoke mission, but I no longer can because I just used up the HE available for the second off board artillery piece. 

Again, the point is that the smoke rounds should still be available even after off board artillery have used up their HE. 

On 1/5/2024 at 8:01 PM, wlmiv said:

I agree with the original poster of this topic. I have encountered this same problem. I think this is a definite issue that should be updated.

The smoke should still be available after all of the HE has been used.

I too would like a smoke mission. I have timed one off board artillery to wait and I was hoping to time its mission with an second off board smoke mission, but I no longer can because I just used up the HE available for the second off board artillery piece. 

Again, the point is that the smoke rounds should still be available even after off board artillery have used up their HE. 

Well nothing more to say than AMEN !

I was caught in this probably 2 to 3 times where I wanted to lay a smoke barrage after I fired all the HE, only to find out again that this is not possible still.

To me it is probably the most annoying when speaking about artillery features. Maybe it will get patched someday...

• 3 months later...