Game won't run

When I run this game, I get the following error message:

"Could not initialize graphics display, required 1024x768x32 bit color"

I went ahead and checked "disable display scaling on high DPI settings" and the game did launch, but then it crashed instantly.

I get the feeling since this is an older game I need the change the windows compatibility mode or launch settings, but not sure how to change it.

I'm running Windows 7 on Dell Inspiron 620 with Intel HD 2500 Onboard Graphics.  I am going to upgrade to Windows 10 probably, but for now this game should still run easily on my system, right?

Can anyone help me?

Edited by General Woundwort

I doubt this game will run well with the machine specs you've listed, specifically the intel graphics.  It runs well with a discrete video card.

However, it should at least run.  Someone may chime in on some things to try

Edited by PIATpunk

8 minutes ago, General Woundwort said:

Thanks, but I don't understand your response.  If what you're offering is some patch fix, I shouldn't need to patch this game, it should work as is.

Elvis will help you out. 

As for the intel hd2500, that's an old chip. It'd be worth just buying a very cheap graphics card even if its 5-7 years old to resolve this issue. 

I used to run CM on only my Intel 2500k with intel hd3000 graphics, but I'm unsure of lesser intel models. 

Elvis is everywhere and even helps people from the golfcourse he once said. Dedication! I wish he was doing OTHER stuff at BFC. cough-cough coding!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The BFC community forum username and password is different versus the email and password you use to access the store and getting product downloads AND checking tickets or articles in the helpdesk.

Intel integrated graphics/video and CMBN, CMFI & CMSF

At this point (May 2011) we do NOT recommend trying to run CMBN/CMFI/CMSF with an Intel integrated graphics chip. Some may work, but many Intel integrated video chips will NOT WORK with CMBN/CMFI/CMSF.

NON-WORKING Intel integrated graphics are:

Intel 810 / 815G
Intel 845G
Intel 852G / 855GM
Intel 865G
Intel 910G / 915G   (Graphics Media Accelerator 900)
Intel 945G   (GMA 950)
Intel 946GZ / Q963 / Q965    (GMA 3000)
Intel G965    (GMA X3000)
Intel GL960 / GM965    (GMA X3100)
Intel G31 / G33 / Q33 / Q35    (GMA 3100)
Intel G35   (GMA X3500)
Intel Q43 / Q45 / B43    (GMA 4500)
Intel G41 / G43    (GMA X4500)
Intel G45    (GMA X4500HD)
Intel GL40 / GS40 / GM45 / GS45    (GMA 4500MHD) 

The following Intel integrated graphics MAY WORK. We don't currently guarantee that the following will work, but with the latest drivers under Windows 7 & 8 (15.31.3.3071 & 15.31.3.64.3071, March 2013) some of these have worked. If you cannot use the latest Intel integrated video driver with your computer/laptop (and must rely on the manufacturer's provided drivers only), then you may very likely run into problems running CMBN/CMFI/CMSF at all:

Intel HD Graphics   
Intel HD Graphics 2000 
Intel HD Graphics 3000    
Intel HD Graphics 4000 

We have run into issues even with the latest drivers for the Intel HD series:

• Graphical text is corrupted slightly, due to some internal driver routines.
  • CMBN's 3D screen may not show up initially, requiring you to 'Alt-Tab' out and then re-maximize.
  • 2D dialog boxes in the 3D screen may not show up at all (such as exiting CMBN, etc.).

Still waiting to be allowed to view the knowledge base, is there some reason I'm being restricted?

I read your Intel Graphic post and it sounds like I should be able to at least run CMBN with some glitches probably.  

For what it is worth, I did get to the introduction screen, where it says the LOGO at least before crashing.

15 hours ago, General Woundwort said:

Still waiting to be allowed to view the knowledge base, is there some reason I'm being restricted?

You have to be logged into the support portal to see it.

@BFCElvis it would probably be a good thing(tm) if the KB articles are viewable without being logged in. Not sure how easy that is...

18 hours ago, General Woundwort said:

I read your Intel Graphic post and it sounds like I should be able to at least run CMBN with some glitches probably.  

For what it is worth, I did get to the introduction screen, where it says the LOGO at least before crashing.

Are you able to open a Help Desk ticket? If so, do that. I need some personal information to suss out what I think you may be seeing now. It sounds like you're now seeing this:

https://community.battlefront.com/topic/134202-cmsf2-getting-a-splash-screen-with-just-the-tank-firing-in-the-dark-heres-why/ 

But for Normandy....Not CMSF2

19 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

Elvis is everywhere and even helps people from the golfcourse he once said. Dedication! I wish he was doing OTHER stuff at BFC. cough-cough coding!

I was actually doing that last Saturday while playing with Peng. I have a Samsung Z Fold 4 that opens to be a small tablet. My choices while waiting for the slow group ahead of us was to either log into the Help Desk or talk to Peng. Guess which I chose. 🙂 

Thanks Elvis, I tried to log into the help desk and it wanted my password and email and I used the one for this forum and it didn't work.  I tried to email forgotten password and nothing came back to me, and I'm locked out of my google account currently also so can't use that.

Sorry this is difficult, just not sure how to get into these help files.

You're right that I'm seeing a splash screen and then it crashes.  I should also mention I have the Steam version of this, not sure if that makes a difference.

You can possibly update your video driver, but it is a 'crap shoot' as to whether it would allow CMBN to run or if it would even install (the updated driver, that is).

I assume your Dell Inspiron 620 is running Windows 7 32-bit. The latest driver from Dell actually calls it an H61 Graphic driver (which is incorrect; that is the chipset model). This Dell-provided driver should install, though I don't know if it is any newer than what you have currently:

v. 8.15.10.2291 (06 Dec 2013)

A newer driver is available directly from Intel, however it may refuse to install since it may recognize the video as an 'OEM' (Dell) and tell you to install the 'manufacturer's driver', but it may be worth trying out to see if it possibly works since it is significantly newer than what Dell offers:

v. 15.33.53.5161 (23 Oct 2020)   (2nd Download button for 'Windows 7 32-bit')

If you desire to upgrade the videocard, then you'll need something that does NOT require a PCI-E power connector (something that basically runs at 75W or less). You may want to try something like this GeForce GT 1030 2GB for US$69.99:

Gigabyte GeForce GT 1030 2GB (GV-N1030D4-2GL), Newegg listing    Amazon listing

Edited by Schrullenhaft

I was able to do some testing with a Gigabyte GA-H61M-S2PV motherboard and an Intel i5-3470 (which has an Intel HD 2500 Graphics core). The video is listed simply as 'Intel HD Graphics' in the Device Manager.

Windows 7 32-bit, both the 10.18.10.4276 (provided by Windows Update) and the 10.18.10.5161 (Intel download - linked above as the '15.33.53.5161' driver) worked for CMBN Demo (v. 3.12). I believe the driver should work fine with the 4.x versions of CMBN along with any of the other CM titles. Performance is not very good however (which is to be expected with most integrated video) and a PCIe videocard is highly suggested.

Also, make sure to have a set of speakers or headphones hooked up when you launch CM, otherwise the game will crash before it loads.

Another recommendation for a videocard is a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti. Again, you'll want one that doesn't require a PCIe power connection (since your power supply will lack them). One good candidate is the Gigabyte GV-N105TOC-4GD. Unfortunately purchasing such a card requires it come from China (Newegg) or paying a hefty markup on it from resellers on Amazon.

Edited by Schrullenhaft