Does anyone enjoy MOUT

The tedious nature of MOUT is sapping all enjoyment of SF2 from me, and I end up getting sick of it and quitting. I know this is reflecting reality and this is more a simulator. But what's the point when going house by house for hours, especially the Marines in Syria missions, specifically Crossroads in the city. I return to Shock Force 2, to only be reminded how annoying this is. I like the idea of this more than actually doing it, and am trying to find a way or reason to enjoy it. 

Edited by wyskass

Can't say that I dislike it but it can be very time consuming if you micromanage everything through. 

Other than That I like overlapping movement of fire teams, blasting my way through walls, using smoke grenades to cover my approach/retreat. 

The whole motto here should be "shoot first, ask later". Keep known and  suspected enemy positions under fire otherwise the casualty count may rise up very quickly. And take an extra ammo truck with you... or maybe 2 or 3. :D

I just got to know that high caliber sniper rifles CAN make a difference in this urban environment. They slice through walls like nothing. So if a sniper team is able to cover your *** from further away: use it! 😁 

On 6/10/2023 at 2:21 PM, wyskass said:

The tedious nature of MOUT is sapping all enjoyment of SF2 from me, and I end up getting sick of it and quitting. I know this is reflecting reality and this is more a simulator. But what's the point when going house by house for hours, especially the Marines in Syria missions, specifically Crossroads in the city. I return to Shock Force 2, to only be reminded how annoying this is. I like the idea of this more than actually doing it, and am trying to find a way or reason to enjoy it. 

It requires intensive micro but yes I do enjoy MOUT. Sight/fire lines, suppression, smoke, flanking, breaching; proper application makes all the difference. .50 is king, at very close range the 7.62x39 AK cartridge does better in house2house fighting than the 5.56.
Bringing AFVs inside also brings new dynamics; autocannon or 120/125mm HE does a good job of house clearing, but become extra vulnerable to handheld AT weapons. 

All in all, I like it but yes it can be 'tedious' or feel like 'work'.

Edited by Lethaface

Being a rather green Urban Combatter, I found this video from someone who has done it both interesting and fun, and it includes a brief comparison of US and British methods:

Doing all of that that in my WW2 CM games might be a little challenging, but some of it works.

Edited by Vacillator

46 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

Being a rather green Urban Combatter, I found this video from someone who has done it both interesting and fun, and it includes a brief comparison of US and British methods:

Doing all of that that in my WW2 CM games might be a little challenging, but some of it works.

Hmmm - FIBUA does not = "Fyboo"  FIBUA is pronounced "Fibyoua."

• 4 weeks later...

Yes. MOUT is amazing in SF2 and the primary draw of the game for me. It simulates the action well enough given the engine's limitations w/ urban elements. 

I actually think getting good at SF2 will make you much, much better at the other games. It wasn't until I nailed down the MOUT-elements in Shock Force did I realize how lackadaisical my tactics were in the WWII ones.