Campaign Script File - A Question - Please Help Me

WimO

I am creating my first campaign for CMBN based in my individual 82nd Airborne in Normandy scenarios.

The Campaign Script File includes four R's (Refit, Repair, Resupply and Rest). The values assigned to these are probabilities rather than rates and impact "UNITS" in the Core Units File.

My Question: Using 1st Battalion 505 PIR as an example, my Core Units list shows it as 1/505 PIR. Are the four R's computed for the battalion as a whole or individually for A Coy., B., Coy, C., Coy etc?

You get one setting of the R numbers per scenario in your campaign so it applies OVERALL to your core force in between scenario battles. That is how I see it. EDIT: I think there is one roll of the dice for 1/505 and then the Refit occurs. Another single roll and the next R occurs. etc etc

Manual says:

The next section in the Battle Entry is the percentage chance an individual unit has
of being completely replaced if lost, repaired if damaged (vehicle only), topped off
with full ammo, and brought back to a fully rested state. If the Campaign contains
no Core Units for a particular side, there is no need to fill in that side’s variables

Does every squad and every vehicle get its own die roll? Maybe they do.

Open to hearing what other's think or have seen.

Edited by kohlenklau

The probability method can result in some campaign wrecking outcomes. For example, in my 82nd Airborne campaign under construction my core units file for the Americans is 1/505 PIR, 2/505 PIR, 3/505 PIR, 1/507 PIR, etc for a total of nine battalions plus armour, anti-tank and engineer elements. The German side of the core units file is similarly long.  Going from that, the American 1/505 and German III./1057 Grenadiere meet each other on a number of occasions. CM battle mechanics result in very high casualty rates. So imagine that after the first meeting both sides have suffered 50% casualties and the refit numbers are set to "x" for both sides. Between meetings 1/505 rolls less than "x" and gets a complete refit but III./1057 rolls higher than "x" and gets nothing. Consequently in the next engagement the Americans are at full  strength again and the Germans at half. To me that's a humbug.

A Workaround? I am considering creating a false Core units file and just setting the starting strengths for each engagement myself. The downside of this is that players really good and really bad outcomes have less impact. 

More questions about the 4 R's (Refit, Repair, Resupply and Rest). And yes, I have read the manual - carefully.

1. When there are multiple units in the core file are the 4R's applied to the entire list of units or only to the units from the file that were engaged in the last battle?

Example: A core units file includes 1/505 PIR and 2/505 PIR but only Able Company 1/505 PIR is in the current scenario. After the battle are the 4R's applied only to Able Company or to the entirety of the core units file? Knowing how this works really matters in scenario design

At the risk of sounding tedious...🙃

The campaignscript is yet another detail in the scenario editor that BFC would be most welcomed to have a look at and provide us with an updated version.

The campaignscript is unneccesarely complicated and limited in several ways hampering flexibility, varaity and ease of use.

Updating the campaignscript would just like many other potential editor changes be possible without impacting gameperformance or of putting a higher demand on the AI.

More intresting, fun and variable campaigns could be made if we are provided with an updated campaignscript function.

On 2/20/2023 at 8:50 AM, WimO said:

I am creating my first campaign for CMBN based in my individual 82nd Airborne in Normandy scenarios.

The Campaign Script File includes four R's (Refit, Repair, Resupply and Rest). The values assigned to these are probabilities rather than rates and impact "UNITS" in the Core Units File.

My Question: Using 1st Battalion 505 PIR as an example, my Core Units list shows it as 1/505 PIR. Are the four R's computed for the battalion as a whole or individually for A Coy., B., Coy, C., Coy etc?

9 hours ago, WimO said:

More questions about the 4 R's (Refit, Repair, Resupply and Rest). And yes, I have read the manual - carefully.

1. When there are multiple units in the core file are the 4R's applied to the entire list of units or only to the units from the file that were engaged in the last battle?

Example: A core units file includes 1/505 PIR and 2/505 PIR but only Able Company 1/505 PIR is in the current scenario. After the battle are the 4R's applied only to Able Company or to the entirety of the core units file? Knowing how this works really matters in scenario design

@George MC has some knowledge about this.

On 2/20/2023 at 8:50 AM, WimO said:

Okay, I got a chance to look at my notes.  The below is what I found that most closely referenced your question. It was a forum discussion posted in November 2021 in the general discussion forum reference core units.   

Question: I've compiled the campaign together with the scripting file, I'm noticing that my core units are being completely replenished at the start of the 2nd battle, which is not what I want. Have I done the scripting wrong here? To my knowledge the refit, repair, resupply and rest are applicable for the next battle, so the core units should not be replenished at the start of battle 2. 

Answer: The example script in the game engine manual shows percentage numbers in the first battle, refitting, repair, resupply, etc. Those are NOT needed but you must have those lines in the script to avoid errors. NOTE: but they do nothing so set them all to 0% in the first battle.  The % chance for the refit, and resupply, etc., to replace etc casualties and damage from the first battle comes from those percentage numbers in the second battle. e.g casualties from Battle 1 are replaced according to parameters set in Battle 2; casualties etc from Battle 2 are replaced according to parameters set in Battle 3.  This ties in with what you have written i.e. you have 100% for battle 2 so casualties etc from Battle 1 will all be replaced.  The % roll for casualties being replaced etc has provoked some discussion - my take and how it appears to me is the percentage chance in all categories is for each individual soldier or weapon. So its 'dice roll' to determine how likely they are to be replaced/repaired/resupplied etc.

On 2/21/2023 at 9:14 PM, WimO said:

Between meetings 1/505 rolls less than "x" and gets a complete refit but III./1057 rolls higher than "x" and gets nothing. Consequently in the next engagement the Americans are at full  strength again and the Germans at half. To me that's a humbug.

They changed that quite a while ago to a % increase as defined by the script. Also it's applied to the individual units not to the broad formation. So all the units in a battalion won't miss out due to one bad 'dice roll'.

A few days ago I corresponded with George MC and following that created a few short test campaigns with varying percentages. These were run a number of times in author mode and confirmed the following which George MC and you folks have also posted above.

1. The 4R's (Refit, Repair, Resupply and Rest) applied to any battle are the numbers listed under the following battle. e.g. the 4R's applied after battle #1 are listed under battle #2.

2. The 4R's are applied against each individual trooper or vehicle KIA, WIA and MIA. This resulted in a great deal of variability at the squad and team level but converged towards the percentages set when moving upward through platoon, company, battalion level.  Interestingly that results in a 'probability' at the lowest levels effectively amounting to a replacement 'rate' at the highest levels.

That is really cool that he helped you. I have had a great relationship with 99% of the BFC "insiders"...

Ithikial (may the lord bless him) will release the CMBN BP and folks pay to get it. You have done those awesome maps and release them for free. But maybe you pulled a tooth and made some big bucks today. :D

Best wishes to you!

On 2/25/2023 at 2:54 AM, kohlenklau said:

That is really cool that he helped you. I have had a great relationship with 99% of the BFC "insiders"...

Ithikial (may the lord bless him) will release the CMBN BP and folks pay to get it. You have done those awesome maps and release them for free. But maybe you pulled a tooth and made some big bucks today. :D

Best wishes to you!

Passing the help you’ve given me in the past forward mate :)

1 hour ago, kohlenklau said:

when I win the powerball, you'll get a hefty raise and we'll hire 2 fine lasses to carry your climbing gear

Ha! Ha! That's a very generous offer! I'm at that stage in my career where someone carrying my climbing pack would be very useful! I'm nae fussed re gender just capable and willing!