Mines question

Hi,

Just a simple question concerning mines.

If I understand correctly, pixeltruppen killed by mines host a red skull inside the red circle around their corpse. Am I correct?

In addition, sometimes a "roadsign" indicating minefield is sometimes placed in the area… but not always! Is there a meaning associated with the lack of sign?

Thanks in advance for the clarification!

PEB

A designer may place mine warning signs in a scenario. 

Otherwise, the only way to detect a minefield is to enter it and get blown up.  Engineers can detect a minefield if they are close enuff or in a minefield.  Once a minefield is detected, an engineer unit can get close or enter it (carefully) and take a few minutes to "map it out" (or whatever they do).  When they do, the minefield sign changes color IIRC.  Detecting and then mapping a minefield makes it a bit safer so that units can move thru it slowly (ie: carefully).  They can still get blown up but with less probability than with an "unmapped" minefield.

Thanks Erwin; of that I was aware of.

My question was: why triggering a mine not always generates a minefiled sign? I set off a first minefield, and such a sign appeared at the place. Then, at a totally different position, I set off mines without any sign appearing afterwards (only the death skull around the bodies).

1 hour ago, PEB14 said:

Thanks Erwin; of that I was aware of.

My question was: why triggering a mine not always generates a minefiled sign? I set off a first minefield, and such a sign appeared at the place. Then, at a totally different position, I set off mines without any sign appearing afterwards (only the death skull around the bodies).

That is a surprise. Could it have been a mortar round instead of a mine?  If it was a mine, could it have been within the radius of the first sign, since mines are laid in groups?

It cannot be the same minefield as there is a building in between.

Which puts me back to the first question: does the "red skull in a circle" around the corpse always mean that the casulaty was caused by a mine?

I will post a snapshot this evening to makes things clear.

1 hour ago, Bulletpoint said:

No, it just means the guy is dead.

Really? So the skull is for a dead pixeltruppen, whatever the cause, whereas the cross is for an incapacited one? It's disturbing, because in the squad's user interface they are both lister as "casualties".

And as they were all killed by explosions, I was pretty sure it was caused by mines....

1 minute ago, PEB14 said:

Really? So the skull is for a dead pixeltruppen, whatever the cause, whereas the cross is for an incapacited one? It's disturbing, because in the squad's user interface they are both lister as "casualties".

And as they were all killed by explosions, I was pretty sure it was caused by mines....

To the best of my knowledge, yes, the dull red skull icon means that the guy is dead, and the bright red cross means he's just seriously wounded. In English, "casualty" can mean both cases, as far as I know.

There are many other things in the game that cause explosions apart from mines. They could have been hit by mortars, rifle grenades, etc.

But I do believe that IF it was mines, then the minefield sign should also be visible. I dont think mines ever go off without the minefield becoming revealed. In some cases, the sign is hidden inside a vehicle wreck or in rare cases inside the wall of a house, if the minefield is partly in the building.

25 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

IED Mines are the exception. You just see a whopping big hole in the ground.

This was CMRT, so I guess no IED mines? I really was pretty sure it was some kind of booby trap, because it  happened at the entrance of a building. (I mean, it happened at three instances, each time at the entrance of buildings...)

23 hours ago, PEB14 said:

Hi,

Just a simple question concerning mines.

If I understand correctly, pixeltruppen killed by mines host a red skull inside the red circle around their corpse. Am I correct?

In addition, sometimes a "roadsign" indicating minefield is sometimes placed in the area… but not always! Is there a meaning associated with the lack of sign?

Thanks in advance for the clarification!

PEB

An enemy minefield will always be un-marked until you find it (usually the hard way). 

Red sign with a skull and crossbones = Active non-marked minefield.

Off white sign (yellow in CMBS) with a skull and crossbones = A marked minefield. 

Green sign with a white X = Neutralized minefield (all mines detonated)

Just some additional information on the topic: 

Engineers can most reliably and safely locate unidentified minefields using the Slow command.  

Marking a minefield substantially reduces the chance of triggering a mine for infantry traversing the minefield.

Antitank minefields can be marked but there is no effect. Infantry can traverse them without risk and vehicles don't benefit from marking.

Friendly mines will destroy friendly troops and vehicles.  

Mines cannot be placed on bridges.  They can go in the river bottom under the bridge but have no effect on bridge traffic.

Minefields can be neutralized by heavy artillery (150mm+), if it scores a direct hit.

Minefields can be neutralized by a blast from a demo charge if there is a blastable obstacle (wire) in the action spot.

Anti-personnel mines have a cumulative effect on vehicle mobility. ie: Number of Action Spots a vehicle can generally cross in an AP Minefield before immobilization: Armor= 2 A/S, light Armor= 1 A/S, Transport= Destroyed.

8 hours ago, PEB14 said:

Lightly wounded walking wounded = yellow base.

Wounded = red skull in circle

Killed = brown skull in circle

Then there is the topic of Buddy Aid. 

Edited by MOS:96B2P

10 hours ago, PEB14 said:

It cannot be the same minefield as there is a building in between.

Which puts me back to the first question: does the "red skull in a circle" around the corpse always mean that the casulaty was caused by a mine?

I will post a snapshot this evening to makes things clear.

No. Red skull in a circle means "DEAD".

Thanks everybody for the answers!

Now that I finished the scenario (with a win, obviously! 😇), it appears that my Pixeltruppen were killed by Panzerfaust shots, not by mines (except where the mines signs appeared, obviously).

Concerning the skulls in circles, based on this CMRT game and on your kind explanations, It appears to me that the code is the following:

• Lightly wounded walking wounded = yellow circle base.
  • Wounded (casualty) = red cross in circle
  • Killed (casualty) = red skull in circle

Aren't brown skulls for enemy troops only?

16 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

or

?

To be fair they both look very similar.  I do believe the brighter red is wounded and the darker (I called it brown) is dead. The use of mods can further confuse things. 

The above, buddy aid, link gives some more detail about the difference between red/dead and brown/incapacitated casualty. Buddy Aid will keep a WIA (red) from becoming a KIA.  However both KIA and WIA are counted as casualties so the score does not change.  The AAR screen will count KIA and WIA separately but they are both counted as casualties for scoring purposes.   

I use mods that replace the skull and circle with a puddle of blood. Below are one KIA and two WIA. 

koun34Lh.jpg

Edited by MOS:96B2P