Tank Accuracy on the Move...again

JoMac

Had a buttoned T-34 (Green, 0 Leader, 0 Motivation) moving around a corner in hopes to shoot at a moving in reverse 250 HT (that I haven't spotted yet in previous turns) at 125 meters. It was able to swing around the corner and spot that 250 HT in one second and Shoot couple seconds later and hit.

I figured it would've taken at least a Full-Spotting Cycle (if at all) before it was able to spot and shoot. By then that HT would've moved out of LOS behind a building/wall.

Gotta Love these Modern Stabilization/Optics in WWII Tanks. 

Edited by JoMac

2 hours ago, JoMac said:

Had a buttoned T-34 (Green, 0 Leader, 0 Motivation) moving around a corner in hopes to shoot at a moving in reverse 250 HT (that I haven't spotted yet in previous turns) at 125 meters. It was able to swing around the corner and spot that 250 HT in one second and Shoot couple seconds later and hit.

I figured it would've taken at least a Full-Spotting Cycle (if at all) before it was able to spot and shoot. By then that HT would've moved out of LOS behind a building/wall.

Gotta Love these Modern Stabilization/Optics in WWII Tanks. 

Hmm... a 250 in reverse is fairly slow and if the T-34 does not have to make a full swing and ground is fairly level, then such a snapshot can be fairly successfull IMO. Also a buttoned T-34 has the gunner/commander in place already, so can spot and react fairly quickly. All IMO.

Even using conscripts I've noticed the high accuracy of AT guns shooting at vehicles on the move. I had a few 222 armored cars killed at ~3000m range while moving nearly perpendicular to a soviet 45mm AT gun. To be fair they did miss quite a lot... when it was stationary. On the move the 45mm guns did much better than I would have expected. 

5 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Hmm... a 250 in reverse is fairly slow and if the T-34 does not have to make a full swing and ground is fairly level, then such a snapshot can be fairly successfull IMO. Also a buttoned T-34 has the gunner/commander in place already, so can spot and react fairly quickly. All IMO.

Well, not worried about that Snapshot (but that too) as much as the Quick Spotting...I think since all CMx2 WWII Titles are derived from CMSF that the Spotting/Targeting should be toned down a little bit more.

I've once read that firing on "move" command is still somewhat accurate because the game abstracts a firing halt. So instead of stopping the tank visually, firing at the target, drive on, stop, fire again etc., it's just one fluid movement. 

But I don't know if that's official or just wishful thinking. 

Well I can not complain. Most of the time the tanks don't hit the broadside of a barn but in some instances I have a holy effing Schulz moment of an seemingly impossible shot. 

But in my game a Tiger struggles to hit a cromwell at like 80m while moving slow... Hmm...  :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/3/2023 at 6:00 AM, JoMac said:

I figured it would've taken at least a Full-Spotting Cycle (if at all) before it was able to spot and shoot.

Depends on where you are on the spotting cycle clock I guess. Could be that it just came around one second after you moved around the building. Also, I've read that cycles happen faster as units get closer.

There's a large random component in any case. Sometimes, units act like you want them to, like in your example. Other times, you move into the perfect firing spot and your tank just sits there blindly for what seems like an eternity.