Second Front

Bufo

51 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

Took me few minutes to decide purchasing it! (game + DLC for 12 Euro!!)

Thank you for supporting this fine game!

Back when I started, I haven't found any manual.

So some first advice: The game is about conquering (or defending) a series of victory locations, usually one at a time.

These locations are marked by icons.
A 'flag' marks a victory location which was already conquered.
There is a different marker for contested victory locations.

When on the attack, move towards the 'contested' markers (or follow your squad leader). Eliminate all enemies at the victory location and wait until the icon turns into a 'flag'. You will get a voice cue to move on towards the next victory location. Remaining enemies will retreat to the same location.

So, since the action always centers around a specific map location, there is almost non-stop fighting, with very little idle time.

Controlling a tank is easier when using the T key to switch to third-person mode. Even though this may be considered cheating. As the gunner, the right-mouse button will bring up the gunners zoom view. Mouse-wheel will switch ammo type. You will have to switch to AP most of the time, because the default is HE.

Hope you will have fun!

1 hour ago, Thomm said:

Thank you for supporting this fine game!

Back when I started, I haven't found any manual.

So some first advice: The game is about conquering (or defending) a series of victory locations, usually one at a time.

These locations are marked by icons.
A 'flag' marks a victory location which was already conquered.
There is a different marker for contested victory locations.

When on the attack, move towards the 'contested' markers (or follow your squad leader). Eliminate all enemies at the victory location and wait until the icon turns into a 'flag'. You will get a voice cue to move on towards the next victory location. Remaining enemies will retreat to the same location.

So, since the action always centers around a specific map location, there is almost non-stop fighting, with very little idle time.

Controlling a tank is easier when using the T key to switch to third-person mode. Even though this may be considered cheating. As the gunner, the right-mouse button will bring up the gunners zoom view. Mouse-wheel will switch ammo type. You will have to switch to AP most of the time, because the default is HE.

Hope you will have fun!

thanks mate! 😎 I´m just checking some vids (yeah, no manual to be found) and after I played some games later today I´ll likely go editor mode and stay there for "a while" lol 😁 (oh..we can refine looks even more by using Reshade! 😁)

Last but not least, a developer that responds and communicates with his customers properly

Edited by RockinHarry

I also see other similar-looking games next to CORVO Studios' Easy Red l on Steam: "A Front Too Far" and "Easy Red II - Stalingrad".

Anyone played "A Front Too Far"?  Looks like it's also by CORVO Studios.  It seems very similar to Easy Red 2 and I wonder if it's worth getting both - assuming they both are good single-player vs AI.  

Edited by Erwin

I've been pushing Easy Red 2 for quite a while now, so I'm happy to see it gain some traction (particularly from my old pal Thomm!).

It is flat out the best FPS WWII game out there for my taste. It has a great editor, so anything you can imagine is fair game. It is also squad based, so one can give orders or take them from the AI. The AI is really quite exceptional for something so open (and can be explored in the Editor further). The developer is also a committed, talented dude that is open to suggestions.

I have made a few maps for ER2, in between BFC funtimes. My handle is Formaldehyde on the Discord and Workshop. There's a 2k map of Ortona that I consider done and fun, and a few others that were more to learn the ropes (Caen West and Nijmegen have a lot of the old structures that may get swapped out when the Normandy props become available).

1 hour ago, benpark said:

I've been pushing Easy Red 2 for quite a while now, so I'm happy to see it gain some traction (particularly from my old pal Thomm!).

It is flat out the best FPS WWII game out there for my taste. It has a great editor, so anything you can imagine is fair game. It is also squad based, so one can give orders or take them from the AI. The AI is really quite exceptional for something so open (and can be explored in the Editor further). The developer is also a committed, talented dude that is open to suggestions.

I have made a few maps for ER2, in between BFC funtimes. My handle is Formaldehyde on the Discord and Workshop. There's a 2k map of Ortona that I consider done and fun, and a few others that were more to learn the ropes (Caen West and Nijmegen have a lot of the old structures that may get swapped out when the Normandy props become available).

Just tried an hour with first 2 tutorial parts and I´s surprised It plays like ARMA3, key command wise, which is great. Felt beeing at home instantly.😎 Will try next creating a self purpose training mission, so I can learn without beeing interfered by that virtual training Sgt.. lol 😆 Unsure about squad mates AI. I surely appreciate ARMA3 squad member commanding which is more detailed, but I´ll see how far ER2 goes in this regard. 🍻

3 hours ago, Erwin said:

I also see other similar-looking games next to CORVO Studios' Easy Red l on Steam: "A Front Too Far" and "Easy Red II - Stalingrad".

Anyone played "A Front Too Far"?  Looks like it's also by CORVO Studios.  It seems very similar to Easy Red 2 and I wonder if it's worth getting both - assuming they both are good single-player vs AI.  

A Front Too Far seems beeing an earlier (or first) game from that developer. Stalingrad is Easy Red 2´s first and thus far, only DLC. I purchased both at 12 Euro and it can only be more inexpensive when going for...erm..warez. But of course we don´t go for anything like that, do we? 🧐😅

Spent another ~2 hours with ER2 in tutorials and self made training mission on "Stalingrad" map. Where applicable I changed key binds to the ones I´m used to in ARMA3. So beside memorizing rather few new ones, I´d almost no learning curve there and could play like it´s ARMA3. 😎 Will see how much this pays off once I start playing a real mission.

While squad handling is more of a dumbed down ARMA3 version it´s still some good fun. Wished for more squad formations, as well as direct "Into cover" command and assigning particular enemy units to be targeted. But it´s not ARMA3 (yet).

I also like that you can climb in and out through the windows (which can be opened and closed) and that you can jump from balconies at low heights. That´s not even possible in ARMA3 unless using some mods.😎

Another gimmick is that you can light up fireplaces by using the "Activate" command. No idea if that has an actual purpose or is rather sort of an easter egg. But I´s somewhat surprised. 😅 There´s lots of possible inventory items of among them is food items IIRC. I´ll likely see if playing some the missions.

Driving a tank and switching to available crew positions is fun too. A number HUD options seem unavailable, but that might add to realism level maybe. Next I´ll test commanding (commander position if there´s any like in ARMA3) a single tank and then see if the crew doesn´t do stupid things, like in ARMA3. That´s among the things that interest me the most ATM.

So far, so good (fun).

13 hours ago, benpark said:

I've been pushing Easy Red 2 for quite a while now, so I'm happy to see it gain some traction (particularly from my old pal Thomm!) ... I have made a few maps for ER2, in between BFC funtimes ...

That's awesome!

3 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

While squad handling is more of a dumbed down ARMA3 version it´s still some good fun. Wished for more squad formations, as well as direct "Into cover" command and assigning particular enemy units to be targeted. But it´s not ARMA3 (yet).

Thank you for sharing your impressions.
I never got into the system deep enough to actually control a squad myself.
I usually just take the MG guy and run along.

It would be interesting to know if commanding a squad does make an actual difference. 

Best regards,
Thomm

Edited by Thomm

5 hours ago, Thomm said:

That's awesome!

Thank you for sharing your impressions.
I never got into the system deep enough to actually control a squad myself.
I usually just take the MG guy and run along.

It would be interesting to know if commanding a squad does make an actual difference. 

Best regards,
Thomm

Compared to ARMA3 i.e, controlling a squad is fairly "easy" IMO. Of course if you´re a seasoned ARMA player (beeing quick at key commands), it´s easy there as well. Key is knowing how the AI squad mates react under enemy fire and generally. That I´ve to figure out for ER2 yet. ER2 "command wheel" (Tab makes it pop up) is far quicker, also due to rather limited options, although the "essentials" are there. (2 formations, follow leader, occupy and hold objective, assault, attack from a flank and various support commands like i.e calling for tank, Arty and air support). Assault will be interesting as you can engage in close combat like with bayonet and rifle butt beating.

Thus far I´m now feeling almost fit enough to attempt on both, infantry team/squad and tank crew in real mission with enemies. Tank crew will be interesting in particular. Taking crew stations is both rather simple and effective. Can play from 1st and 3rd player views generally. No idea if when playing "commander" if one can assign an AI gunner particular targets or turret postion. Here´s where many tank sims fail.

ER2 tank gameplay impression.

https://youtu.be/0TrkwpgIups

Edited by RockinHarry

12 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

ER2 "command wheel" (Tab makes it pop up) is far quicker, also due to rather limited options, although the "essentials" are there. (2 formations, follow leader, occupy and hold objective, assault, attack from a flank and various support commands like i.e calling for tank, Arty and air support).

I think I have never figured out how to 'aim' the commands properly, at least without cross-hairs.

12 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

No idea if when playing "commander" if one can assign an AI gunner particular targets or turret postion. Here´s where many tank sims fail.

Hmm, I don't think so.

I usually control the gunner, since you can drive the tank at the same time, anyway.

Controlling the driver is also an option when hunting infantry.
The gunner does a good job in these low-risk situations.

3 minutes ago, Thomm said:
23 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

ER2 "command wheel" (Tab makes it pop up) is far quicker, also due to rather limited options, although the "essentials" are there. (2 formations, follow leader, occupy and hold objective, assault, attack from a flank and various support commands like i.e calling for tank, Arty and air support).

I think I have never figured out how to 'aim' the commands properly, at least without cross-hairs.

Think it´s just the center of the screen (where you look at), but crosshair is more exact.

5 minutes ago, Thomm said:
25 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

No idea if when playing "commander" if one can assign an AI gunner particular targets or turret postion. Here´s where many tank sims fail.

Hmm, I don't think so.

I usually control the gunner, since you can drive the tank at the same time, anyway.

Controlling the driver is also an option when hunting infantry.
The gunner does a good job in these low-risk situations.

Yeah, WASD and mouse move does both of it quite conveniently. 😎 Hehe... you can actually crush/overrun enemies? That´s some evil fun for sure. 🤪

I´ve read that all AI react halfway clever in most situations and apply some self preservation as well. This is promising!

What I don´t that much like is animations, which are way too "agile" for my personal taste. But developer says they´re still working on them, but not what details in particular. Also considering that each infantry guy can carry various weights. I once carried 35kg of stuff I placed in my test squad leader´s inventory (in editor) and you can grab more from the battlefield (there´s at least ammo grab points). IIRC there was no difference for my PC in terms of speed and agility. But maybe it´s also for me not playing in highest difficulty mode. Sadly documentation is very lacking and I hope they´d release a true manual or at least a game specific wiki.

7 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

IIRC there was no difference for my PC in terms of speed and agility. But maybe it´s also for me not playing in highest difficulty mode.

There is definitely an effect. Above a certain load you are no longer able to run and it is quite annoying (as it should be.) Not sure which realism setting is required for this.

41 minutes ago, Thomm said:

There is definitely an effect. Above a certain load you are no longer able to run and it is quite annoying (as it should be.) Not sure which realism setting is required for this.

that´s my guess as well. Likely highest difficulty. I´d started and remained with default and there I didn´t noticed encumberance.

29 minutes ago, Thomm said:

thanks! Didn´t have a look at steam guides yet. 😎

Here´s some other interesting stuff Corvo Studio is doing! Unity 3D seems way to go it seems (BFC have a look at that! 😉)

https://corvostudio.it/other.php

Wow! ER2 is definitely a hell lot of fun FPS with fairly good sim elements! 😎 Now bits of busy in both map and scenario editor which is fairly easy to learn and work with.  Ground mesh resolution seems 1m, like CM but it´s smoother looking. Very interesting possibilities for map creation in there. Mission design is rather limited but seems it gets fleshed out later.

Found another interesting game (Q4 2023 release) which is labeled beeing more arcade game play. But see how it looks like? 😲

Toyed around some more with ER2 map and mission editor. Thus far achieved good results incl. molded into terrain mesh trenches and other nice stuff. 😎 Also terrain sculpting is fairly easy and intuitive.

Also did bits of tanking on my test map and that was much fun as well. Devastated my test map ...lol (with StugIIIG) and found they´d just recently added persisting hit decals on AFV and pillboxes as well. Haven´t discovered everything yet, but looks like this all keeps me busy for some time to come. 😁

Great wargaming times (again) with Second Front, a tank sim (Gunner, Heat something lol) and Easy Red 2. With more on the horizon. 😎🍻

On 2/18/2023 at 10:49 PM, Erwin said:

Love it.  You get to repair your damaged tank, repaint it, replace crew...  Shame it's so FPS.  But the graphics are xnt and the movements of the soldiers are very realistic.

not sure if their style of FPS is that bad. ER2 is halfway between FPS and sim and easily accessible IMO. Also seems all based on their same game engine (Unity) so I would expect it´ll be more sim than shooter and maybe progressing more towards sim after initial release. ATM I see tendencies for that in ER2 already and Tank Squad might see similar developments.

The developer that made the game "Hex of Steel" is also working on something that is in line with ER2 . Below is one of the work-in-progress videos from development from the FPS underway. 

He seems like another of the new generation of developers making interesting games with an eye towards keeping everything rooted in a historical basis.

Here´s some Easy Red 2 example pics of me playing around in map editor. Applied bits of Reshade magic as well but nothing too fancy. Map is just for placing stuff and experiment with it and editor features generally.

As can be seen quite a lot can be sculpted into and out of the 1m resolution terrain mesh (similar to CM). With multi layer (out of 8 ) ground textures nicely blended together freely, it all can look fairly realistic IMO. I also get my realistic size and depth trenches out of all that. lol 😁 And even better.... the AI bots recognize them as cover and use them! Great.

Overally the map editor is easy to use, though has its rough edges and lack certain features (yet). The game (and editors) is in constant development, so I expect more goodies to come later. Easy Red 2 example pics and map editor capabilities

• 2 weeks later...

Any Easy Red 2 players know if the enemy AI is always aware of the player characters whereabouts? Currently playing the public beta. Asked in steam forum but didn´t get any answer for 2 weeks. Seems they start the same habits like in BFC forum (developers give a sh*it on customer questions). 🙄

Anyway, if that´s part of ER2 game mechanics, I uninstall it again. Better focus on Second Front and that tank sim (Gunner, Heat...) then. A pity.