Second Scenario And I Am Puzzled

CanuckGamer

We are playing our second scenario and this time I am the Russians in a scenario titled Skirmish.....something.  So far I have been unable to knock out a single American tank or AFV while losing one tank and about 8 or 9 infantry fighting vehicles.  I have had 4 or 5 units with Strela 2 or 3's which according to the manual have effective ranges of 4200 and 4500 meters respectively.  All of them at one time or another during the scenario have been within about 700 - 900 meters of American tanks with lines of sight.  I targeted the tanks and with some set up an armour arc but have yet to score a hit.  I am assuming they have fired because some started with ammo of 5 and are down to 1.  I have yet to see any graphics indicating they even fired.  I noticed that one of them was anti air but the rest are not.  Am I doing something wrong?  

Strelas (and Iglas) are manportable soviet anti air assets and anti air only. I don't know if they fire their launchers on tanks if you really force them to, never tried it. But I suppose they would abort that command because of the little effect they would have on armored ground targets. (if they could be fired at all) 

What you are seeking in the units description is something like RPG7 (unguided, 600m range), Spg9 (unguided, 1700m range, I believe) , AT7 (guided, 1000m range), AT4 (guided, 2000m+ range). 

Those are the anti tank assets used by infantry (not including the 100mm At gun). 

That they already have some rockets missing indicates that they either fired on a Helikopter or jet you haven't noticed or that they indeed tried to shoot at ground targets with (rightfully so) no effects 

Edited by Brille

Brille, thanks very much for the reply.  They must be shooting at American air because they are all down to 1 ammo.  I have another question.  I noticed that one of my recon vehicles has "3 AT rocket", at least that is the description when I move my cursor over the weapon icon.  I looked in the manual and couldn't find any reference of this.  I am assuming they are not the two AT you mention in your reply as there is no number after AT.  Do you know what the range of these AT rockets are?

Most soviet vehicles have some spare RPG7 rockets for their dismounted infantry. But recon infantry usually don't have RPG7 launchers with them so they are kind of wasted in their vehicles. They most likely have some single use launchers (RPG 26 I believe they are called), which as the description implied, can't be reloaded. 

If you have a Ural Truck with you I would check those. Often they have an additional RPG7 launcher (not just the rockets) with them you can equip whomever you like with. 

But be careful: it may say that the RPG7 may have a range up to 600m but the chance of hitting anything is rather slim. Better use them for ranges not more than 200m. With very experienced troops you maybe want to try it a bit further than that. 

Edited by Brille

Yes, that is the scenario.  I don't think challenging adequately describes the difficulty for the Soviets.  I am down to one tank and have yet to even knock out one American one.  To add insult to injury I just lost a tank when the American tank came around a corner about 30 seconds before it did.  I will have to ask my friend after we finish this one whether the Yanks had any aircraft, otherwise, what is the point of having the Strelas?

9 hours ago, CanuckGamer said:

Yes, that is the scenario.  I don't think challenging adequately describes the difficulty for the Soviets.  I am down to one tank and have yet to even knock out one American one.  To add insult to injury I just lost a tank when the American tank came around a corner about 30 seconds before it did.  I will have to ask my friend after we finish this one whether the Yanks had any aircraft, otherwise, what is the point of having the Strelas?

Because they were in the TO&E for the organizations in the engagement.

19 hours ago, Grey_Fox said:

@CanuckGamer a lot of your problem is that most of your tanks and troops are green, while the US are mainly veterans. You need to be careful and be lucky.

IMO it's not a good scenario for PBEM.

As the designer I agree - it is playable H2H for sure but whoever takes the Soviets needs to be a CM ninja and the whoever takes the Americans needs to be a decidedly average player like me.  It is certainly winnable as Soviet vs American AI as this was proved in testing.

• 7 months later...

I noticed that one of my recon vehicles has "3 AT rocket"

I just noticed the same thing with my recon battalion in a scenario.  I am guessing this is a mistake in the OOB.  I can't imagine a formation carrying AT ammo on their IFVs which can't be used.   Either the troops should have RPGs and can use the rockets or the ammo should be disposable RPG-18s same as used by the troops

On 1/13/2023 at 2:24 PM, CanuckGamer said:

The Sov were very concerned about NATO attack aviation*. They didn't trust that the WP air forces would be able to achieve air superiority and built an integrated air defense system to protect their ability to maneuver. 

h

*The Sov got to watch the Allied forces in the western front totally ablate the German's ability to move tactically or move logistics. 

I remember a Youtuber's very first Steam CMCW attempt when it was first released, He was running his men around the map to fight oncoming tanks. Firstly, the men were all out in an open field, and second, the soldiers were carrying around AA launchers. My response was 'Some guys experience a steeper initial learning curve than others'. 😁