Has anybody actually heard South African voices in this game? :-)

I am trying to fix some broken stuff. Maybe it is not broken. Maybe I am hosed up. I try to never assume anything.

R2V brought a bunch of new voices for Indian troops and South Africans.

I have not so far ever even used those troops. Hold on. I did use Indian troops in a CMAK2 battle. I can't remember if I heard Indian troops.

The South African voice files have both English AND Afrikaans.

Chime in if you have heard the troops use the files.

Please

Update. It appears the ticket was reopened some time after R2V release because of reports of missing voices. It was noted during Beta. For example some were there but playing at super slow speed, some missing, etc. I thought that had been resolved before issue, but maybe I'm not remembering correctly.

Dave

2 hours ago, Ultradave said:

Update.

Thanks Dave.

I will try during the holidays to do some amateur Alan Parsons project sound engineer stuff.

If I need to just change some settings using audacity I might be able to pull that off. I have managed to accomplish such small tasks when introducing new voices for mods.

But if the South African troops are not properly coded to activate their specific voices then that would be an issue beyond my level of knowledge. 

18 minutes ago, kohlenklau said:

Thanks Dave.

I will try during the holidays to do some amateur Alan Parsons project sound engineer stuff.

If I need to just change some settings using audacity I might be able to pull that off. I have managed to accomplish such small tasks when introducing new voices for mods.

But if the South African troops are not properly coded to activate their specific voices then that would be an issue beyond my level of knowledge. 

As I recall, they were, but some were missing (which could be your noted misspellings) and others were there but distorted. It's been a while and to be honest I haven't been back to those scenarios after extensive play testing. Reno River is one. Plus the campaign. Maybe I'll set up a test scenario and play around. 

Dave

seems they ARE there but some issues remain...here is my report in another thread

11 hours ago, kohlenklau said:

I am now hearing SOME SA voices but I have a folder in CMFI Z with Frenchy's fixes and my freshly corrected filenames AND NUMBERS for the 9 artillery voice slots.

So, it seems NOT a game engine or some code bug. Das ist gut.

Some voices are totally muffled out during the game. I hear them activate but it is just a several seconds burst of noise.

The 2 voice actors that did this. One guy who does the English with an SA accent, apparently he recorded it in a soft whisper perhaps while his baby daughter and wife were sleeping in the next room. The other guy sounds right out of a Johannesburg pub, a little bit more oomph and all in Afrikaans. But you hardly hear his files used. 0 to 6 seem to be whisper-man and 7 and up are wild-man. Or basically 50-50 for file quantity in a category.

I see something odd with the file details of quite a few wav files. A title number that normally I do not see. I can try and resave a few and drop that title number. See if it makes it work better. Wild-man seemed to have more of these type oddities.

Also, there are sound file types I have NEVER FREAKING SEEN before.

For example

south african casualty 0.wav

yep that seems normal, seen that lots of times

but

south african casualty from flame 0.wav

and

south african hand to hand

It is funny but many of these voice files for the WW2 titles artillery fire mission set of voices use a modern crypto synch tone and squelch at the end of the transmission. Hahaha of course that is totally inappropriate for WW2. Some seem to NOT have that and if I do the  Alan Parson stuff to try and improve the South Africans I will NOT have the modern features.

Maybe our beloved BFC is like a cook who has chopped onions or whatever handy from before and uses them blindly in many dishes in the restaurant. Like modern cheetos dropped on top of your Civil War army recipe?

• 2 months later...