Need some help with map making

I have been thinking on the following for quite some time now, so here goes. For me the most difficult part of making a scenario is the map. Not the placement of buildings and stuff, but the height differences, roads and railroads. For quite some time now I have been collecting information about the fighting in East Prussia in October/November 1944, especially around the towns of Goldap, Schirwindt and some others. I'm thinking about making some master maps for these towns, to use for scenarios and perhaps even a campaign.

Are there people on this forum who enjoy map making and who are prepared to make some maps for me, with the heights and main roads/rivers?

As said I will do the smaller roads, the towns, the farms, the woods etc. myself. But a basic map with the correct distances would help me tremendously. I have loads of information on the areas for which a map is needed, so I can provide that information without any trouble.

2 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

Looks pretty complicated to me.

Well, no free lunch, I'm afraid. But it isn't all that complicated. There is a tutorial video for how to install the tool. After that the most complicated part is converting the data. There is a tutorial here https://www.geoportal.gov.pl/dane/numeryczny-model-terenu ... With that and the example file in the cmautoeditor repository you should be able to do it. I can offer to help but then you'll have to be patient - I still have so much other stuff to finish... 😕

7 hours ago, Butschi said:

Well, no free lunch, I'm afraid. But it isn't all that complicated. There is a tutorial video for how to install the tool. After that the most complicated part is converting the data. There is a tutorial here https://www.geoportal.gov.pl/dane/numeryczny-model-terenu ... With that and the example file in the cmautoeditor repository you should be able to do it. I can offer to help but then you'll have to be patient - I still have so much other stuff to finish... 😕

I'll give it a try, Butschi. If it works for me it wiil be a big help in the future. Thank you.

You need to scale the overlay so that it matches the editor. The overlay image therefore needs to be a known size. Easiest way is to use grid square on maps, or the ruler on GE. If the overlay image covers an area 4k x 2k, that is then the size of map that needs to be created in the editor. 

If using an aerial photo then you will need to scale that correctly. This can be done by measuring the distance between two (or more) visible points on the photo and then measuring that distance on map. This will then let you scale the map. Otherwise you can overlay the photo over a map image and tweak the layers until they match. You can then take the scale from the map and it will also apply to the photo.

Note the layers used here -

grid, the purple squares being 1k x 1k, 

layer1 the GE image (erased in part to show the layer below)

layer0 the map image

image.thumb.png.e2c8cc7094ad2f94e7bfb95667470b3d.png

P

Edited by Pete Wenman

@Aragorn2002 Have a look at the attached which might nudge you along the way for the groundwork required to get your map started.

This is the WW2 Era map overlaid on to Google Earth using the Add Image Overlay tool:

Lochstadt Map.kmz

This is the area of the map that I want to create in CM using the Add Polygon tool.

Lochstadt Overlay.kmz

Note that when I make this, as @Pete Wenmansays, you use the Google Earth measuring tool to get the dimensions.  These are the dimensions you need to resize the mapping area to in the CM editor.

I just used one overlay as my Special Editor Overlay in CM which was the map - sometimes I also use a screenshot of the aerial view but in this case I just had that view on my second screen:

Special Editor Overlay.bmp  

This is the CM map created from it:

Lochstadt.btt

Load up the kmz files in Google Earth and just have a look around which might help you to figure out how I've done it. Stick the Special Editor Overlay into your Z folder and then load the btt file and see how it looks in relation to the overlay to get a feel as to how I've put the thing together.

1 hour ago, Combatintman said:

@Aragorn2002 Have a look at the attached which might nudge you along the way for the groundwork required to get your map started.

This is the WW2 Era map overlaid on to Google Earth using the Add Image Overlay tool:

Lochstadt Map.kmz 5.15 MB · 0 downloads

This is the area of the map that I want to create in CM using the Add Polygon tool.

Lochstadt Overlay.kmz 729 B · 0 downloads

Note that when I make this, as @Pete Wenmansays, you use the Google Earth measuring tool to get the dimensions.  These are the dimensions you need to resize the mapping area to in the CM editor.

I just used one overlay as my Special Editor Overlay in CM which was the map - sometimes I also use a screenshot of the aerial view but in this case I just had that view on my second screen:

Special Editor Overlay.bmp 1.19 MB · 0 downloads   

This is the CM map created from it:

Lochstadt.btt 65.01 kB · 0 downloads

Load up the kmz files in Google Earth and just have a look around which might help you to figure out how I've done it. Stick the Special Editor Overlay into your Z folder and then load the btt file and see how it looks in relation to the overlay to get a feel as to how I've put the thing together.

Much obliged, Combatintman, thank you. I'm an eager and dedicated student. This will help me.