Sounds stopped working

grunter

I am in the middle of a PBEM game and the all sounds in CMBS have stopped, including the openning video sounds. I have all the titles, and the rest work fine. I have even copied over the intro video file from a working game to the data file in CMBS, and it still does nothing. Do I have to reinstall CMBS? Do I have to back up my save games? My ver of CMBS is ver2.16 engine 4. Do I have to reinstall my mods?

Hmm... I removed ALL my mods.  While starting up the game the game has the intro sound with the BF logo.  But, once one gets to any options window, there is no sound.  There is no sound when I load a battle either vs AI or PBEM.  No music... no sound at all...  Any ideas...?

The 'intro sound' is actually a separate video file, 'intro.wmv'. I would guess that something may have gone wrong in "removed ALL my mods". However accidentally removing BRZ files that are part of the game would probably also result in black elements throughout the 3D view.

What audio are you using ? Is this an USB headphone or a built-in audio chipset ? Typically I would expect whatever the 'intro.wmv' file is playing on would be true for the game too, but perhaps something is going wrong somehow. Within the Windows desktop click on the 'speaker' icon in the lower right systray. This will show you your Windows volume level. If you have more than one output, then there will be a 'carat' in the right corner of this volume control. Clicking on it should show you the audio outputs available to Windows. If there is more than one selection, perhaps trying something else (that IS plugged into headphones or speakers).

I only removed my mod folder which has all the user-made mods.  The  "intro music" plays, but nothing else.  I need to reinstall.  Latest version is v2.11 yes?

I ask cos the "all in one" installer on the BF site says v2.11, but I found a readme that refers to v3.0: 

"VERSION REQUIREMENT
This v3.00 Upgrade of CM Fortress Italy requires you to have a working copy of CM Fortress Italy installed AND PATCHED TO V1.12. It works for both base-game only installs as well as those that have the Gustav Line module. Other non-Battlefront game versions may not be compatible with this Upgrade."  

Edited by Erwin

I can tell from the email address that the original poster is the same person that I've been speaking with on the Help Desk. Here's a weird one for anyone that gets this. 

I told him that we could have exchanged emails years and never would have stumbled onto this but here is how he got his sound back:

You wont believe it, but I just copied the tempfile6.tmp file over from CMCW to CMBS, booted it up and all of the sound came back on.

????????? That's nuts.