Windows "Defender" slowing down start times

So Windows Defender has been destroying my hard drive lately it seems. I disabled it, and "real time protection" specifically. When real time is turned off, my CM programs start instantly.

Just now, my Shock Force 2 was hanging on startup, so I turned off real time protection and shock force started right away. I do this every time my computer is turned off, because real time "protection" seems to re-enable itself every time. I've tried registry changes, doesn't work. Windows defender is garbage. Maybe this will help someone if their CM takes a long time to start. Usually the games that have a ton of mods take a long time, but with defender enabled most games start instantly, or at least much, much faster.

26 minutes ago, Artkin said:

So Windows Defender has been destroying my hard drive lately it seems. I disabled it, and "real time protection" specifically. When real time is turned off, my CM programs start instantly.

Just now, my Shock Force 2 was hanging on startup, so I turned off real time protection and shock force started right away. I do this every time my computer is turned off, because real time "protection" seems to re-enable itself every time. I've tried registry changes, doesn't work. Windows defender is garbage. Maybe this will help someone if their CM takes a long time to start. Usually the games that have a ton of mods take a long time, but with defender enabled most games start instantly, or at least much, much faster.

Works perfectly fine with me. When you play you can pause all programs working in the background. Just go to settings. 

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem with CMSF2 and other CM titles. Funny, it is only a problem the first time I load it. If I save, quit and get back in it isn't much of an issue.

Turning real-time protection off, it turns itself back on automatically, allows it to load the first time pretty quickly.

On 11/11/2022 at 5:50 PM, PIATpunk said:

create an exception in the 'Virus and threat protection settings' of Windows security to exclude the CM executable process.

If windows defender has been 'destroying' one's hard drive lately, there's probably a good reason for that.

Probably not.

Windows 10 has been the worst OS I have ever used. I have WD gold enterprise drives. They ran beautifully under 7. Now on Windows 10 the whole OS is a slogging mess. 

My pc is clean, I check on an inconsistent basis with programs from Bleepingcomputer.com. 

You don't need antivirus if you aren't a dope with your pc. 

I will try your fix, but "real time protection" rapes my hdd even at idle sometimes. 

Edited by Artkin

7 hours ago, Artkin said:

Probably not.

Windows 10 has been the worst OS I have ever used. I have WD gold enterprise drives. They ran beautifully under 7. Now on Windows 10 the whole OS is a slogging mess. 

My pc is clean, I check on an inconsistent basis with programs from Bleepingcomputer.com. 

I will try your fix, but "real time protection" rapes my hdd even at idle sometimes. 

Current IT security best practice for home users is to not use third party antivirus as they tend to increase the attack surface area. You're better off just keeping windows up to date.

11 hours ago, Grey_Fox said:

Current IT security best practice for home users is to not use third party antivirus as they tend to increase the attack surface area. You're better off just keeping windows up to date.

I used to do IT, but never went up the security route. MSE (Windows Defender on Win 10) was a pretty basic program with limited ability. I'm not sure what you mean by attack surface area. 

I just run tools if I feel something is off. Hasn't failed me. I keep my documents physically backed up and my windows cd handy just in case.

2 hours ago, Artkin said:

MSE (Windows Defender on Win 10) was a pretty basic program with limited ability.

Twenty years ago you would have been right, but for over a decade now it has been the case that third party security is generally worse than the Microsoft stuff because they are unaware of the zero days which Microsoft is working on closing.

Attack surface area means that by using third party security software you are increasing the potential ways your system can be attacked. They tend to interfere with the operation of the OS and that can cause issues in itself.

"Viruses" aren't really a thing any more, it's all about zero day exploits.

Edited by Grey_Fox

21 hours ago, Artkin said:

Probably not.

Spinning disk drives for your operating system are obsolete, you might as well be using floppy drives. Time to upgrade to SSDs.

No problem starting any CMx1 or 2 programs with Win10 (extremely stable on both my desktops) either with Windows Defender or Avira at plus Malwarebytes AND system Mechanic - all doing their real time thing, which are aimed at web protection as well as suspect executables. CM executables have *never* been flagged or quarantined by any of my AV or malware utilities. 

Longbow 2 has! Often, although those days are sadly over now that DCS replaced it.  And mods for certain entirely innocent automobile programs that have nothing to do with any kind of larceny or mayhem or bodily harm or anything at all except shiny pretty cars and stuff. Honest.

Over the weekend, I had an opportunity to do a little profiling and in my case the load issue pointed to the intro.wmv file in the HQS mod.
Once removed, and with the CM folders on the exclusion list, each of the titles now load up fairly quickly from the first time on.

HTH

32 minutes ago, OldSarge said:

Over the weekend, I had an opportunity to do a little profiling and in my case the load issue pointed to the intro.wmv file in the HQS mod.
Once removed, and with the CM folders on the exclusion list, each of the titles now load up fairly quickly from the first time on.

HTH

Good to hear. In the few instances Defender or another AV has interfered with any of my programs, the issue has been *mod* related. (except for poor old Longbow 2!).