Espionage cold war book titles wanted

One of my greatest fascinations are books on the Cold War period, especially the period from 1945-1960. I have dozens of books on the Venona secrets, McCarthy, Russian infiltration of US government, KGB/GRU spies etc.

My question is, are there nowadays still books being published on these subjects? And if so, which ones? I try to follow new publications on Amazon, but it's hard to keep track and I can hardly find any, which probably has more to do with my searching methods, than with the fact that new books aren't written and published.

Any relatively new title would be highly appreciated.

9 hours ago, Aragorn2002 said:

One of my greatest fascinations are books on the Cold War period, especially the period from 1945-1960. I have dozens of books on the Venona secrets, McCarthy, Russian infiltration of US government, KGB/GRU spies etc.

My question is, are there nowadays still books being published on these subjects? And if so, which ones? I try to follow new publications on Amazon, but it's hard to keep track and I can hardly find any, which probably has more to do with my searching methods, than with the fact that new books aren't written and published.

Did you try “political warfare” “active measures” and “subversive warfare” from the era.  A guy named Ofir Fridman wrote a really good book call “Russian Hybrid Warfare” which does cover some of that period.  Those search terms and Fridman lead to more academic treatments than spy stories, if that is what you are looking for.

18 hours ago, The_Capt said:

Did you try “political warfare” “active measures” and “subversive warfare” from the era.  A guy named Ofir Fridman wrote a really good book call “Russian Hybrid Warfare” which does cover some of that period.  Those search terms and Fridman lead to more academic treatments than spy stories, if that is what you are looking for.

I did find some interesting books, using your search terms, thank you. But I'm more looking for books on espionage in the 1950s, like Blacklisted by History or The Venona Secrets. 

On 7/13/2022 at 1:28 PM, Combatintman said:

Great list! Most of these books are already in my possesion, but some of them are new to me. Thank you!

On 7/17/2022 at 11:40 PM, danfrodo said:

Sorry for my late reply. Yeah, I have them, but thank you!

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2022 at 3:47 PM, Aragorn2002 said:

Outside your preferred timeframe, but anyway:

I greatly enjoyed reading "The Billion Dollar Spy" by David E. Hoffmann, which tells the story of Adolf Tolkachev, a Soviet engineer who worked as a CIA agent in the early 80s and gave up detailed information about various Soviet missile and radar systems.

51Yt-Cll6DL._SY346_.jpg

Edited by Der Zeitgeist

1 hour ago, Der Zeitgeist said:

Outside your preferred timeframe, but anyway:

I greatly enjoyed reading "The Billion Dollar Spy" by David E. Hoffmann, which tells the story of Adolf Tolkachev, a Soviet engineer who worked as a CIA agent in the early 80s and gave up detailed information about various Soviet missile and radar systems.

51Yt-Cll6DL._SY346_.jpg

Welcome anyway, espionage in the 60', 70's and 80's is also fascinating, so thank you for this title. I bought the kindle version.

• 1 year later...

Alex Wellerstein looks at how the US worked to protect nuclear weapons information, doing compelling research about a little-understood subject. He published Restricted Data: The History of Nuclear Secrecy in the United States a couple of years ago.

Not a book, but there is a steady drip-drip-drip of declassified and FOIA'd materials coming out of the intelligence community, DOD, and State, and GWU's National Security Archive collects those documents. They publish blog posts about the most interesting new items.

Edited by MHW