How to survive early barrages? - Spoiling Attack?

Ridaz

47 minutes ago, Ridaz said:

True but I am afraid we will run out of scenarios even community made ones  while QB has endless gameplay potential.

I'd question that assumption. QB maps only have a couple of AI plans at best (and some have none), and regardless of the force selection it will follow them. An infantry force will follow the same plan which was created with a mechanized force in mind, and what's worse the units are randomly allocated a part in the plan, leading to absurdities like a mortar team following a plan intended for a tank.

Edited by Grey_Fox

41 minutes ago, Grey_Fox said:

I'd question that assumption. QB maps only have a couple of AI plans at best (and some have none), and regardless of the force selection it will follow them. An infantry force will follow the same plan which was created with a mechanized force in mind, and what's worse the units are randomly allocated a part in the plan, leading to absurdities like a mortar team following a plan intended for a tank.

Oops let me clarify that against humans it will be infinitely better than any AI QB or scenarios. But for single player experience scenarios will always be better than QB however if you are stuck on an island then you will run out of the superior made scenarios and left with QB.

I know there are ppl who still play CMx1 because of the QB.

1 hour ago, Ridaz said:

True but I am afraid we will run out of scenarios even community made ones  while QB has endless gameplay potential.

Try downloading everything available for CMBN or CMSF (Especially). Have fun spending all day clicking the download button, even before you get to unzipping and relocating all those files. You might even want to organize them.

As Grey_Fox said, you can use scenarios in place of quick battle maps by just moving them (In the editor load the file and then save it) to the "Quick Battle Maps" folder. you want to use the editor because its faster, and you will duplicate the map files (By saving) so you can use them in both modes.

I always assign groups to my troops in QB maps. I don't think AI groups (2-16) work in quick battles without doing that. You can study the AI plans for the maps you move over, and then set groups that make the most sense to that AI plan OR you can just replace the units in the scenario with ones you want and then adjust the groups again so your new troops are in the AI groups. If you aren't familiar with the editor this will be gibberish. If you knew this already then my bad 

43 minutes ago, Grey_Fox said:

I'd question that assumption. QB maps only have a couple of AI plans at best

CMCW came with 3 ai plans per side per map. Other titles packed in more AI plans. I recall specifically CMFI and CMFB having the most elaborate plans, but I'm not 100%. I remember seeing at the most 16 ai slots filled, but usually around 4-8.

• 2 months later...

BTW if you want an edge on "Surviving an Early Barrage" then put your troops in the absolute best defensive positions (Or very close). Set your troops to hide before Turn 1 starts. If artillery drops on them it will do very little. If your troops are in buildings on "Hide" then artillery will do next to nothing... especially if your men are on the first floor... unless it's a near hit from a large caliber. 

When its safe to pick your heads back up, unhide your troops. 

You can use this with extreme success in your PBEMs. 

Edited by Artkin

4 hours ago, Artkin said:

You can use this with extreme success in your PBEMs. 

Great advice, which I've learned the hard way.  Wish you'd told me this before 🙃.

Currently doing this in Normandy - hiding in foxholes initially, followed by moving right next to bocage ready for the fight (I also have to credit @WimO for advice on this).

The hide function is interesting for vehicles too, turning off noisy engines it seems.