Fire and Rubble - Understanding the New Vehicular Mot Tag System.

This is provided for scenario designers, vehicle re-skinners and gamers like myself who are struggling to make their existing collection of mods, scenarios and campaigns compatible in appearance withe the new vehicular mot-tagging system for  snowy conditions. The following respresents my personal experience and may be in error at some points as I do not have any official information from the developers.

What did I do? I unpacked and sorted all of the CMRT files from the first to most recent. Studying the vehicle files revealed the following mod-tags and .bmp associations:

Default: all the .bmp's for that vehicle

[muddy]: tracks, wheels, and often hull .bmp's

[whitewash]: hull and wheel .bmp's only

[snow]: track and wheel .bmp's only. Wheels only sometimes.

[whitewash snow]: wheel .bmp's only.

The foregoing might also be prefaced with [germany...] or [berlin ...] in which instance they refer to a later color scheme for that model of vehicle

HOW TO USE THIS INFORMATION:

All scenarios with any amount or type of snowy ground now call ONLY the [snow] mod-tag, i.e. wheel .bmp graphics resulting in a default summer skin with snow in the tracks or tires. If you want whitewashed vehicles to appear in  your scenario then you must add the 'whitewash' mod-tag.

The foregoing system also enables scenario creators to call whitewashed vehicles on a snowless winter day. That is to say, you could have set the scenario parameters to 'wet' but still set a 'whitewashed' mod-tag to call a white skin.  I would like to see some [muddy snow] .bmp's. Please note that the combination of 'whitewash' and 'snow' is required if you want snow on the tracks and tires of a 'whitewash' vechicle.

WHAT DID I TEST?

Created a test scenario with the parameters Russia, December 15, 1944, cold, deep snow, snow, light snow, patchy snow, muddy with each of the above mod-tags applied to a unit of T34-85's

If you are aware of any errors in the foregoing, please correct, comment, add, etc.

I forgot to mention the following:

The wonderful old "Stalingrad Campaign Mod" and "Winter Mod" use different mod tags. They use the tag 'snow' for what is now labelled as 'whitewash'. If you want to continue to play those mods without retagging them then you need to use JSGME to load and unload them and ensure that they replace the current game files by prefixing their folders with a few 'zzz' to ensure that the program reads them last.

There's two additional vehicle tags in 'Fire and Rubble' that I can think of:

[germany] This switches several German vehicles to a late war camou scheme once the Russians reach German soil (Most notably the Tiger II).

[berlin] This gives several Russian vehicles the white 'invasion stripes' they used for air recognition during the Berlin battles.

You've also got your standard combo tags line [germany muddy], [germany whitewash] and [berlin muddy]

Edited by MikeyD

1 hour ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Too busy creating interesting stuff for us to enjoy.

I'm liking the new avatar.

Cover of God Save the Queen '45' by the Sex Pistols. I've got an original Virgin copy in my vinyl stash, but unfortunately not the A&M version.

@WimO's stuff is great, although instructions should be followed.  I'm currently playing Boots on the Ground as the Germans in a PBEM.  This was not as planned 😉.

@George MC's stuff is of course great (have I mentioned this before 🤭).  George, I'm reminded that I'm supposed to be visting a couple of bridges - my apologies I have been a little distracted.

Thanks Vacillaor for the kind words. I am currently playing 507th Makes a Good Drop. Playing as the Germans and getting trounced (I think). I'm really glad how that scenario is playing out as a cat and mouse situation over a large area. I consider it to be the more intriguing my H2H 82nd Airborne scenarios. I hope you will give some more feedback (good or bad, both okay) later.

Edited by WimO
correction

20 hours ago, WimO said:

I am currently playing 507th Makes a Good Drop.

Say no more, I believe I know who your opponent is.  If I'm right, he and I are currently at Baranovichi on the Ost Front, where I think things are going reasonably well for my German stragglers and panzers.

So, 507th Makes a Good Drop is an 'optimal drop' version of Boots on the Ground?  And presumably drawn up with H2H in mind?  As mentioned another good friend and I are playing this one, with me as the Germans, in the full knowledge of both of us that you said play as US only.  I've actually enjoyed moving stuff around so far but we're half an hour plus in and have not seen each other yet.  Apparently reinforcements have arrived on the other side so I'm sure it'll kick off any minute.  It's still pretty dark as well.  Now, let's see, have I said anything I shouldn't have?  No, don't think so...

34 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

Say no more, I believe I know who your opponent is.  If I'm right, he and I are currently at Baranovichi on the Ost Front, where I think things are going reasonably well for my German stragglers and panzers.

So, 507th Makes a Good Drop is an 'optimal drop' version of Boots on the Ground?  And presumably drawn up with H2H in mind?  As mentioned another good friend and I are playing this one, with me as the Germans, in the full knowledge of both of us that you said play as US only.  I've actually enjoyed moving stuff around so far but we're half an hour plus in and have not seen each other yet.  Apparently reinforcements have arrived on the other side so I'm sure it'll kick off any minute.  It's still pretty dark as well.  Now, let's see, have I said anything I shouldn't have?  No, don't think so...

You are correct to assume that the 507th is an 'optimal drop' with about 80% landing in the zone; not all at the same time though. I am playing the Germans and am being trounced pretty good as should have happened historically but am none the less enjoying the cat and mouse play a lot. I am looking forward to discovering what the cost has been to my opponent at game end. This playthrough will also inform me if I need to adjust the victory points.

The scenario you are playing also follows history pretty well. I purposely designed it that the US Airborne would have to march towards their objective.

Another scenario that plays well as as a cat and mouse are the three Shanley on Hill 30 variants. These are updated versions based on my play with three other gamers playing 2 vs 2 on my older version.

33 minutes ago, Vacillator said:

My better half has today bedecked the ramparts and perimeter walls with the Union Jack bunting she also deployed on several camping trips in France. 

Despite my run-ins with the House of Stinkpot, even I know that the Union Jack can only be flown from a jack staff. Whilst Union Flag bunting can adorn a tent.

4 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

the Union Jack can only be flown from a jack staff. Whilst Union Flag bunting can adorn a tent

I stand corrected.  Although it seems the Union Flag bunting can adorn a wider range of erections than tents.  Oh dear, that doesn't sound right...