AI spotting my hidden units from >200m away?

11 minutes ago, nathan1776 said:

I'm not sure you understood my question: when you were developing the scenario, were you able to get the AI to enter the kill zone of the L-shaped ambush before you started engaging them?  Or were you seeing the same behavior I'm describing, where the AI were spotting your units before they entered the kill zone?

During the Vietnam War, what exactly was an L-shaped ambush? - Quora

Oops tell a lie. i designed the original version and its AI plan but it was updated for CMSF2. i didn't update it.

Just checking the AI Plan the designer who updated it has had the attacking AI units area fire at the more obvious would be ambush spots... So the AI is not spotting your units but using recon by fire on the more obvious ambush points - which if you keep the Blue Team in the default set-up positions is where they will be....

The intent of the original training scenario was for the player to play both sides and have a feel for how to use the units. it was neverd esigned to be tactically challenging or a puzzle - just a means to explore how the game engine works with core units.

I've gone into the editor and removed the area fire commands. See how it plays out now? Hopefully I got them all!

Ambush Tutorial SF2 GMc edit.btt

Edited by George MC

24 minutes ago, George MC said:

Oops tell a lie. i designed the original version and its AI plan but it was updated for CMSF2. i didn't update it.

Just checking the AI Plan the designer who updated it has had the attacking AI units area fire at the more obvious would be ambush spots... So the AI is not spotting your units but using recon by fire on the more obvious ambush points - which if you keep the Blue Team in the default set-up positions is where they will be....

The intent of the original training scenario was for the player to play both sides and have a feel for how to use the units. it was neverd esigned to be tactically challenging or a puzzle - just a means to explore how the game engine works with core units.

I've gone into the editor and removed the area fire commands. See how it plays out now? Hopefully I got them all!

Ambush Tutorial SF2 GMc edit.btt 2.03 MB · 0 downloads

Thank you!  I'll give it a shot.

To confirm this, you can play the original scenario on the difficulty "Scenario Test". When the technicals start firing at your troops, click their icon (All troops are visible on Scenario Test). You will be able to tell if the technicals have a fire order, or if they actually see your troops.

Edited by Artkin

8 hours ago, George MC said:

Ambush Tutorial SF2 GMc edit.btt 2.03 MB · 0 downloads

This was my next guess because in another test they started 'blindfiring' at a building with no one in it -- they fired at the top floor of the 3rd story building closest to them (despite no one being in it). To my knowledge the enemy AI is pretty rudimentary and I don't think I have ever seen them genuinely pre-fire into stuff.

Case closed lol?

On 6/2/2022 at 8:42 AM, chuckdyke said:

The vulnerability in this game are the soft factors especially in modern warfare. This is the only game which I know takes it to this level aka the will to fight. You achieve it when your opponent presses the cease fire button. They do it when they keep losing units when they don't have an idea where the fire was coming from. 

In fact, this is very funny.

I screwed up my orders giving a squad a Target Briefly order and a Fast move. But, I completely forgot the pause. So, in fact, the squad just fired one single shot before moving the next turn.

And it's been five minutes that I see my opponent shelling the building for nothing. Javelins, Mk19s, small arms... There's nothing in there. 

Psychological warfare... 🤣

4 hours ago, ncc1701e said:

And it's been five minutes that I see my opponent shelling the building for nothing. Javelins, Mk19s, small arms... There's nothing in there. 

Area fire deserves a different chapter on its own. Happy gaming, we all bought the game or games to enjoy ourselves.