2022 vs CM BS

CMBS was released in 2015 (announced in 2014), looking at a hypothetical 2017 conflict using then-proposed weapons systems, some of which were abandoned. 

What this means is that Ukraine has a lot more Oplots than they do in reality and don't have any Javelins. The US squads have XM-25s, which were only ever experimented with and discarded. And Russian forces and performance seems to be idealised.

However, I like it.

Edited by Grey_Fox

So no drones in the simulation.  I thought this last version was released in Nov 2021.

I'm thinking that this is a major change, the old way is out, drones rule the sky from here on out.  Not entirely, but they do seem to be a much more major component that greatly changes the concepts and theory of war.

Edited by Duriel Krugaire

8 minutes ago, Duriel Krugaire said:

So no drones in the simulation.  I thought this last version was released in Nov 2021.

I'm thinking that this is a major change, the old way is out, drones rule the sky from here on out.  Not entirely, but they do seem to be a much more major component that greatly changes the concepts and theory of war.

There are drones in CMBS, but they are mostly for recon and for allowing indirect-fire targeting. The US does have Gray Eagles carrying Hellfire missiles.

Even though the latest patch is 2021, the game remains set in 2017. I suppose it's possible that a future expansion could add the latest drones, but that would mean adding a more current timeframe (which I'd certainly be happy to see).

A mid-2020s expansion would be very interesting, although of course it puts the game into hot-button current-events territory.

5 hours ago, Holman said:

There are drones in CMBS, but they are mostly for recon and for allowing indirect-fire targeting. The US does have Gray Eagles carrying Hellfire missiles.

Even though the latest patch is 2021, the game remains set in 2017. I suppose it's possible that a future expansion could add the latest drones, but that would mean adding a more current timeframe (which I'd certainly be happy to see).

A mid-2020s expansion would be very interesting, although of course it puts the game into hot-button current-events territory.

Well...Steve did mention in the Ukraine Thread, buried in there so very far back, that this current war would be something to be revisited in a new title with CMBS remaining set in the timeframe and fictional conflict that it is/was.  The new module to be released will still be set in the fictional 2017 conflict as it has always been.  

To the OP, BS is still a really fantastic game in and of itself and modders are already delving into the current conflict.  It's my favorite of all the titles honestly.  The modern era is a whole new ballgame compared to WWII. Playing PBEM UKR vs RUS is as good as it gets.  

There is a free Demo by the way to try it out before purchasing!

Edited by Phantom Captain

The drones are there. They are mostly for observation purposes. You can call arty using them.

There is some fictional equipment that did not exist in 2017 - like APS on Bradleys and Abrams, Russian T-90am (with 0 rarity!) that just got in service a couple of years ago etc. It was a wild guess back on 2013-2015. But for the most it is accurate.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I think BFC are going to do a "future of ground warfare something, something" that explores many of the things revealed by this war, and many of the things whose development has suddenly been accelerated by a factor of 10. The big question is when anyone not in a NATO/allied military will get to see it. The Pentagon types are trying to revise decade or two procurement plans and CM has pretty much proven itself as a pretty good tool for evaluating ideas before you spend several billion dollars. Hopefully they will be able to release something to the public eventually.

23 hours ago, Duriel Krugaire said:

Hey, CM player from way back, & was looking @ installing BS.  

Question:  You guys that have it, how accurate are the available weapon systems/teams?  Does the CM BS contain drone strikes and supply chain issues that are the norm for the invasion?

Thanks

Supply chain (and training etc) issues are all available through the CM Scenario Editor.

Individual units can be rated for experience, motivation, fitness, leadership, supply, headcount, and the status of vehicles (destroyed, immobilized, etc.). These all affect behavior on the ground after the game starts.

Larger logistical issues can be reflected in these stats, although they cannot be changed (without further editing) in scenarios already available. I imagine scenario designers will be downgrading their Russians in future offerings.