Pre-planned artillery timing limitations

Mortars not using a FDC is an oversimplification. 

And the comment about not using "the FDC" is a misnomer. The "the FDC" you are referring to is the artillery battery FDC and no, it doesn't compute firing data for the mortars. It only computes data for it's own artillery pieces.

HOWEVER, the mortar section acts as their own FDC by computing its own firing data. So it performs all the same functions - plotting the target, determining deflection and elevation settings, plotting corrections and new firing data. This is all the same functioning of the artillery FDC, but handled right in the mortar section,  just as artillery data is handled within the firing battery.

Either way, the data must be calculated, even if you have a direct LOS to the target. In that case you are your own FO.

Dave

22 minutes ago, Glubokii Boy said:

A human player may have some limitations on how he can handle artillery but thats nothing compared to the poor AI.

AI artillery programing is...ridiculous.

AI self controlled bombardments is...suicidal.

Combat mission is moving towards H&H only with a better internet play. 

16 minutes ago, chuckdyke said:

Combat mission is moving towards H&H only with a better internet play. 

Yeah...i guess it is.

There can be no doubt that H2H gaming is the more intresting way to play but if BFC starts neglecting single players that would be a sad development.

Hopefully they will not do that but V.5 sounds like a very H2H oriented update.

12 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

OK @Ultradave knows it better than a West Point Lecturer. I rest my case.

You took a one line statement from an entire video that mentioned no FDC and ran with it. That statement is not wrong, however, I explained why it needs some further explanation and context and should not just be taken as an absolute statement. There is no need at all for your snide and snarky comment. In fact, it's pretty damned rude and obnoxious.

There IS firing data to be calculated. It's done by the mortar platoon. They act as their own FDC.

Now you can believe that or not. I really don't care. I think I've made it quite clear in the past that *I* used to do this for a living. And if you wanted to you could even look up the field manual for the US mortar platoon (which covers 60mm, 81mm, 120mm) and you could read it for yourself all about how a mortar platoon is layed, how firing data is calculated, how it is applied to the mortars, instead of taking anyone's word for it, like mine, or the West Point guy who has 6 years active duty as a Combat Engineer officer and is teaching an intro class mentioning fire support. Combat Engineers are fantastic, but I'd submit his actual fire support experience is second hand. 

As for me - 10 years as a Field Artillery officer, including FIST Chief (which would include my mortar experience and contact), Battery Fire Direction Officer, Battalion Fire Support Officer, Field Artillery Battalion Asst. S-3 (Battalion Fire Direction Officer), and Brigade Fire Support Officer.  

I rest my case.

Dave

Edited by Ultradave

18 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

OK @Ultradave knows it better than a West Point Lecturer. I rest my case.

The following screen shots are from FM3-22.90 (2007), now superseded by TC3-22.90 (2017 lots more computer info for 120mm track mortars) both titled "Mortars"   Note that the FDC here is the 2 man FDC of the mortar platoon, not the artillery battery FDC. 

"Computer personnel" can refer to the modern setting where they use specialized small computers, or it can refer to the job title, when using "charts and darts"  -  plotting with pins and protractors and calculating elevation using firing tables or special slide rules, which everyone has to be able to know how to do in case the digital computer is not available or working. Anything pretty much CMCW and prior, charts and darts is all there is.

Dave

Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 12.58.33 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-02-19 at 12.58.47 PM.jpg

Edited by Ultradave

No offence intended but I find the online You Tube videos of the gentleman extremely useful and follow him. In the past I was told off not to use the FDC for the platoon 60mm mortar. Now Sim Sala Bim I hear otherwise. We don't have any experts of Soviet indirect fires, but veterans of the US armed services appoint themselves as such. I bought the game to enjoy myself and don't use it as a slanging match on this forum. If my units don't have radio, they will miss the 21st century capabilities which the US armed services have. So direct fire it is from carefully selected defilade positions. Using a FDC by postal pigeon is just too slow. 

2 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

No offence intended

Hah. Sure you did. 

2 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

We don't have any experts of Soviet indirect fires, but veterans of the US armed services appoint themselves as such.

You are the one quoting West Point instructors and US fire support info from presentations. I don't believe I've EVER said anything concerning Soviet fire support procedures, because, guess what - I only know a minimal amount. I DO have the expertise to comment on US and UK/Canadian procedures, and the US is what YOU brought up.

You're going on ignore bucko, because all you like to do is argue, change the subject, move the goalposts, and tell me I'm wrong. Have some fun gaming.

Dave

1 hour ago, Vergeltungswaffe said:

HtH is the best way to enjoy CM imho, but single player games outsell PvP games by orders of magnitude.

How can we tell which mode a player will select? We seem to be the only one who enjoy Hotseat vastly outnumbered by the Pbem crowd. Happy gaming.

It comes back to the problem that "AI is hard, m'kay?" Especially in as unstructured and complex an environment as CMx2. I fear that improving the AI to the point of "bare competency" in all aspects of its plat is a challenge too far for the current engine. Maybe even the current team, even with a blank sheet for the architecture choices to support it, and possibly any team you could reasonably expect to be funded by the civilian demographic that plays the game (and I get the feeling that the military would rather have their classes be HvH based, so can't rely on them for funding for an AI feature they don't need).

On 2/17/2022 at 9:22 PM, MOS:96B2P said:

Hmm, TRPs could have been easily added.  I admit, it did not occur to me and did not come up in play testing.  Maybe next time :ph34r:.  TRPs are still easy to add if you open the scenario editor.  Let me know what you think or any other feed back you have. :) 

Thanks, though it didn't occur to me at setup either and I tend to play scenarios (especially H2H) blind so as to avoid spoilers so this sort of thing is usually only discovered once play has commenced. As I say, I think not having TRPs is more common that having them in most scenarios.

Enjoying the scenario so far though. I'll let you know more once all my units are flaming wrecks...

Thank you for putting it together, scenario design efforts are always appreciated though never loudly enough!