How Hot is Ukraine Gonna Get?

Probus

1 hour ago, Lieutenant Ash said:

https://www.defense.gov/News/Transcripts/Transcript/Article/3817329/pentagon-press-secretary-maj-gen-pat-ryder-holds-a-press-briefing/

Q: A quick follow-up – North Korea's Central Military Commission announced that North Korea would join forces with the Russian military. And as part of the North Korea and Russia military alliance, the North Korean Army engineer unit would be dispatched to Donetsk, Ukraine, which remains occupied by Russia. It will be dispatched as early as next month. How do you assess about the rapid situation in which North Korea and Russia are moving toward Ukraine?

GEN. RYDER: So, just to clarify, you're asking what do I think about Russia assigning North Korean forces to the battlefield in Ukraine?

Q: North Korean Army.

GEN. RYDER: Yeah, sending North — yeah, I mean, that's certainly something to keep an eye on. I think that if I were North Korean military personnel management, I would be questioning my choices on sending my forces to be cannon fodder in an illegal war against Ukraine. And we've seen the kinds of casualties that Russian forces – so – but again, something that we'll keep an eye on.

I suppose if they actually did engineering stuff, it would provide valuable experience to the North Korean military.

On the other hand, western nations could do the same for Ukraine with equal justification.

I doubt the west would send engineering units anywhere near the front line even in that scenario. Would settle for the reopening of Western training centers in western Ukraine tho.

This is the sign on payment it refers to below. It's essential moves to strangle the Russian economy continue, and efforts to enhance depletion of Russian manpower on the front.

Continued backing to ensure Ukraine can conserve manpower is essential as well. It's time to pledge the entire M113 fleet remaining in operational and reserve capacity in the U.S to Ukraine! (I kid but only partially) Edit: and those MRAPs on loan to police depts in America, the majority should be recalled and sent to Ukraine.

Given all the propaganda about how Russia’s vast manpower resources mean that it can feed its people into the Ukrainian meatgrinder forever, the skyrocketing price of new recruits might come as a surprise.   1/2

The reality is that Russia has a huge manpower problem that is steadily growing worse. It can’t keep up inflating the wages, which means that it will have to resort to increasingly draconian measures including new open mobilization, something Putin has sought to avoid.   2/2

Edited by FancyCat

1 hour ago, cesmonkey said:

https://www.defense.gov/News/Transcripts/Transcript/Article/3817329/pentagon-press-secretary-maj-gen-pat-ryder-holds-a-press-briefing/

I suppose if they actually did engineering stuff, it would provide valuable experience to the North Korean military.

On the other hand, western nations could do the same for Ukraine with equal justification.

More likely is those guys will be going home in bags and the only thing they'll learn is when you give troops to Russia - don't expect them back.

15 minutes ago, FancyCat said:

I doubt the west would send engineering units anywhere near the front line even in that scenario. Would settle for the reopening of Western training centers in western Ukraine tho.

This is the sign on payment it refers to below. It's essential moves to strangle the Russian economy continue, and efforts to enhance depletion of Russian manpower on the front.

Continued backing to ensure Ukraine can conserve manpower is essential as well. It's time to pledge the entire M113 fleet remaining in operational and reserve capacity in the U.S to Ukraine! (I kid but only partially) Edit: and those MRAPs on loan to police depts in America, the majority should be recalled and sent to Ukraine.

This fits in with my gut instinct about the recent apparent lull of meat assaults.  It was also reported by some source, repeated here, that recruitment pools were once again starting to show signs of drying up.  Bumping the pay (again) is an indicator of just that.

Steve

9 minutes ago, sburke said:

More likely is those guys will be going home in bags and the only thing they'll learn is when you give troops to Russia - don't expect them back.

NK can do this sort of thing very easily because casualties will never be a problem for that regime.  If Ukraine killed every single last NK soldier that set foot in Ukraine, in North Korea the headlines would read about the glorious victories their soldiers have achieved on their way to Berlin.

Steve

We have heard and seen good reports about Bradleys performance on Ukraine, maybe I missed it, how are Strykers doing?

According to https://en.defence-ua.com/weapon_and_tech/like_in_a_videogame_says_the_ukrainian_gunner_operating_american_stryker_ifv-10107.html

Pros are very mobile, remotely controlled gun, useful for evec or transport for rotations, as well as having more repairability, cons, not used in defensive actions due to the lack of firepower in armament.

Guess it puts into context why the U.S is beginning to change it's policy preventing contractors in Ukraine, North Koreans about to be turned into mince meat by ATACMS. Not gonna be a lot of complaining about escalation by Russia or pro-Russian activists in the West, by the evil West when you have north Koreans building trenches.

Edited by FancyCat

58 minutes ago, billbindc said:

"The South Korean defense industry just entered the chat."

The appropriate response to this is finally allowing the Ukrainians to stand up a new version of the Flying Tigers, and get a hundred F-16s in the field by the end of summer instead a dozen, maybe, barely.

Edited by dan/california

Really interesting view from a Russian Mobik. It amazes me how the Russian military operates sometimes. I feel like its a stones throw away from just ceasing to work properly. Really interesting about the security / military police setups in the rear as well. 

3 minutes ago, cesmonkey said:

More threats for South Korea:

Given that North Korea ALREADY has nukes, I can't figure out what Russia thinks it can do that would be so scary. The U.S. and Japan have cause to worry about better North Korean missiles, Seoul is in range and always has been. Also China is not interested in a second Korean War, but with fallout, and they do get a vote here.

It really seems like this is straight up strategic desperation from Putin. He gets the artillery shells he was already getting, and some NK meat for the grinder, Ukraine gets the South Korean defense industrial base. This is not a good trade for Putin. In fact, it is so bad I am coming around to the theory that Putin's whole NK adventure is a sign of serious cracks in the Russian regime.

5 minutes ago, dan/california said:

Given that North Korea ALREADY has nukes, I can't figure out what Russia thinks it can do that would be so scary. The U.S. and Japan have cause to worry about better North Korean missiles, Seoul is in range and always has been. Also China is not interested in a second Korean War, but with fallout, and they do get a vote here.

It really seems like this is straight up strategic desperation from Putin. He gets the artillery shells he was already getting, and some NK meat for the grinder, Ukraine gets the South Korean defense industrial base. This is not a good trade for Putin. In fact, it is so bad I am coming around to the theory that Putin's whole NK adventure is a sign of serious cracks in the Russian regime.

I am waiting for South Korea to send an Engineer unit to Kyiv.

Eh, setting up production is good and all, but i am unsure how long it takes to spin up production on a new site, vs just churning out shell after shell from existing South Korean production facilities and being able to directly ship them to Ukraine. Would settle for South Korea (and lets not forget Japan) is in the process of seeking to loosen legal restrictions against supplying armed combatants, I would like to see North Korea, whom both consider a enemy and seek restrictions on, tilt the scales to allow direct supply to Ukraine. 

3 hours ago, sburke said:

Many of the remarks here remind me much about the 'using prisoners is actually a weakness in manpower' rethoric I heard in 2022/3.

But these NK body bags trade with body bags on the other side, while russias 1st and 2nd class citizens enjoy another postponement of real consequences to the slaughter they support. 

And China must've given their approval. With the 'airtight' sanctions, it also opens the way for more covert support of equiptment that is funelled through NK.

Edited by Kraft

28 minutes ago, Kraft said:

Many of the remarks here remind me much about the 'using prisoners is actually a weakness in manpower' rethoric I heard in 2022/3.

But these NK body bags trade with body bags on the other side, while russias 1st and 2nd class citizens enjoy another postponement of real consequences to the slaughter they support. 

And China must've given their approval. With the 'airtight' sanctions, it also opens the way for more covert support of equiptment that is funelled through NK.

Yeah, it doesn't have to last long. Only until West gives up support, which might be as soon as this November:

Exclusive: Trump handed plan to halt US military aid to Kyiv unless it talks peace with Moscow

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/trump-reviews-plan-halt-us-military-aid-ukraine-unless-it-negotiates-peace-with-2024-06-25/?utm_source=reddit.com

I think Putin sees the light at the end of the tunnel.

29 minutes ago, Kraft said:

This reminds me much about the 'using prisoners is actually a weakness in manpower' rethoric I heard in 2022/3.

I seriously doubt NK will supply enough to impact Russia's troop shortage.  Language issues alone preclude them from doing much.  Coordination in Russian forces is already bad.  Imagine a Korean unit trying to coordinate pretty much anything with Russian leadership.  They'd be better off assigning them to civilian labor jobs to free up Russians to send to the front.