Broken Shields Campaign - Snow Blind Mission: Spotting Bug

Russkly

SPOILERS!

I think this has been reported previously, but I'm not aware of any fix:

The spotting of the M3 halftrack gunners in this mission doesn't seem to be in keeping with the mission visibility parameters - it is a snow blizzard at night, and visibility for my troops (Axis) is about 100-200m.

The M3 gunners however appear to have no such restrictions and decimate anything on the map. They can seemingly see my troops without the latter being able to spot the halftracks.

As such, the only option seems to be to do nothing and just fast forward through each turn for an hour and 20 minutes (yawn).

Anyone else notice this or have found a way of completing the mission?

11 minutes ago, benpark said:

I'll submit that. It would be most helpful for Charles (BFC/Code Machine/Magician) to have a save from your own game - would you mind attaching a save where you see the oddity here?

Thx, Ben, wilco.

How do I get the save file <2Mb?!

It's an 11.7Mb file, and compressing it only gets it to 9.2Mb.

I noticed the same issue with M5 halftracks in the Soviet "To Berlin" campaign, of course there in the players favour, see attached pcitures from the 4th battle of the campaign.

First, an M4A2 spotting, maximum range in the early dark of January 1945 is about 320 meters:

M4_spotting.thumb.jpg.8b2ed1efaf7dec621754550e26671517.jpg

Second, an M5 spotting out to close of 1 km, only constrained in this instance by terrain:

M5_spotting.thumb.jpg.d9d3489149a2fac067a6e8c58fd3826a.jpg

I can provide the save game for this situation via dropbox link, if required.
But I think proobably it can also be reproduced with a simple test scenario.

Looks like the M3s / M5s have aquired advanced IR optics, somehow.

16 minutes ago, M.H. said:

I played snowblind, everything was working fine.

Interesting.

When did you play it, M.H.?

Perhaps something changed with v2.11?

As it stands I have no freedom of movement at all on the map - the HTs spot and destroy anything that moves into their 'normal' line of sight, despite the conditions (snow blizzard, night), and I can't spot them unless I'm right on top of them. By which point I'm dead.

15 hours ago, Russkly said:

Interesting.

When did you play it, M.H.?

Perhaps something changed with v2.11?

As it stands I have no freedom of movement at all on the map - the HTs spot and destroy anything that moves into their 'normal' line of sight, despite the conditions (snow blizzard, night), and I can't spot them unless I'm right on top of them. By which point I'm dead.

version 2.11 thats for sure, mid last december.

Not sure when BFC will get to a patch for RT, but I can adapt the campaign file to use something else for that scenario if it would help (as spotting is crucial for that one, in particular). Elvis also OK'd me putting up a fix for the Berlin campaign where some of the AI assignments got screwed up so the Soviet attack was vastly lighter than it should have been. Might be a few days, but that shouldn't be an issue as far as I'm concerned.

This of course was not seen in testing, so either it popped up after we were done, or some odd confluence of things are working in tandem to cause havoc.

21 minutes ago, benpark said:

This of course was not seen in testing, so either it popped up after we were done, or some odd confluence of things are working in tandem to cause havoc.

The M2 .50 Cal Thermal vision bug was not in CMRT initial release v2.10. It is there since v2.11, from around may 2021.