M-48 vs T55 or T62

FogForever

I haven't been able to find any mention of a gun stabilizer on the M48A5, so I assume it didn't have one. If this is the the case then firing on the move would be difficult or impossible. It's impossible to say exactly what the best engagement range is for the M48A5, but the tables are turned somewhat in comparison with later American tanks. The higher velocity gun of the T62 (even the early ones that don't have a laser rangefinder) means that at longer ranges the T62 will be able to engage the M48 more effectively than the M48 will be able to engage the T62. Normally as the Americans you want to snipe at long range, while as the Soviets you want to get in close for a knife fight. With the M48 (especially if you are facing T62s or better) you want to get in close for a knife fight, and avoid long range sniping. I have found the M48A5 to be about an equal match for the T55s in game at almost any range.

FogForever,

Can't speak to optimum engagement range in CMCW, but there is real world info available. During the Vietnam War, there was a good size clash between NVA T-54/T-55 and PT-76s vs ARVN M48A3 and M41A3s. Don't recall the battle name, but the gist of it is that the US trained ARVN tankers not only shot the daylights out of the attackers, but did it from "impossible" engagement ranges, leading to frantic NVA radio cries by the tankers they were in a minefield.  The Soviet doctrinal range for a T-54/55 was 1000 meters, and the ARVN tankers were, I believe, shooting at ranges of 2000-2500 meters, maybe more, and killing at will. From what I can recall, the M41s killed not only the oh so poorly armored PT-76s but also the well protected T-54/55 tanks, using HVAP to great effect on the latter. Late in the Vietnam War, The NVA made first combat use of the AT-3/SAGGER and killed many tanks with it in a number of battles. The articles below don't get into as much detail but nevertheless will be helpful. Have written on these matters before here on the Forum and posted links over and above these.

https://mikesresearch.com/2019/03/24/m41-walker-bulldog/

https://mikesresearch.com/2020/11/29/patton-tanks-in-vietnam/

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler