The beast...

Playing Grieshof Meet and Greet PBEM. 

Has anyone else noticed or is starting to get the feeling that Cold War is even more lethal than Black Sea in its own way?  It seems that playing doctrinal with so many mechanized forces that death comes very swiftly to so many more than in BS.  Just my thoughts...

Anyway, this BEAST of a T-64 shrugged off 18 hits, yes 18!!, from an M-60 and at least one TOW missile at about 1500m.  The 5 or 6th shot actually hit the track and immobilized it.  I had the crew bail out and they ran into the building it's sitting next to and watched a few more rounds bounce off.  Feeling brave they re-crewed the tank only to take a couple more hits and bail again.  Finally, the 18th round went in and killed an empty tank.

T-64s are the real deal.

Combat-Mission-Cold-War-Screenshot-2022-

Edited by Phantom Captain

On 1/31/2022 at 7:29 PM, Phantom Captain said:

Has anyone else noticed or is starting to get the feeling that Cold War is even more lethal than Black Sea in its own way?

It is, very. The mantra at the time was "If you can be seen you will be hit. If you are hit, you are dead"  Minimizing exposure was high emphasis. It wasn't always possible of course.

Dave

1 hour ago, Ultradave said:

It is, very. The mantra at the time was "If you can be seen you will be hit. If you are hit, you are dead"  Minimizing exposure was high emphasis. It wasn't always possible of course.

Dave

I am really understanding this in this environment. It's absolutely brutal!  And that's the trick isn't it?  How do you do what you need to do and stay hidden and unseen.  It's very nerve wracking committing to an attack knowing how many are not coming back.  It's really fun to watch the Americans and Soviets just slam all hell out of each other though!  This PBEM, so far, has been an absolute bloodbath.

33 minutes ago, Phantom Captain said:

Ha!  Very true!  They are a bit blind...  The beast here never even spotted who was hitting him.  

Fun watching those M60s get spots and make hits but can't kill while the T-64s sit back and shrug off hits but can't see anything!!  

Yea, it was designed in this game as a target. 

1 hour ago, Ultradave said:

Kind of made me glad at the time I was in an Airborne division and not driving a rolling target like my college roommate (he went Armor - I went Field Artillery)

Dave

Haha!  I had a good friend at the time who was infantry/airborne.  He broke his ankle or knee?, can't remember, on a parachute jump coming down too fast.  He, said because of that,  he was assigned as driver for some officer in Germany who was a bit, umm, off.  Haha!  But yeah, I love my armor but I really don't think I would have wanted to be an M60 crew member at that time, ha!    

12 hours ago, Ultradave said:

Dave

And that's the thing!  I think in Black Sea all the new armor technology and APS systems, laser warning systems, automatic smoke systems, etc. give their crews a much better chance of survival on being spotted first and taking a hit.  Cold War...not so much.  Like you said, it seems that if you are hit you are dead (T-64s excluded at a certain point!).  Speed means everything I am also finding.  If you stop, you die.  

It's like the line from the old animated Heavy Metal movie, "You die, she dies, everybody dies".

I use M60s keyholed & in ambush.  Like mentioned above, M60s have a tough time slugging it out w T64s.  Learned that the hard way.  But in 1982 one sometimes gets Abrams in the mix, and it time to party!  I hope they go forward a bit more in time in some updates/DLCs so I can have more bradleys also.  M113s are nice as a taxi but dang they are useless against soviets. 

Maybe by mid to late 80s the balance swings too far in favor of NATO.  But I am cool w that, I never play as the soviets. 🤪

4 hours ago, danfrodo said:

I use M60s keyholed & in ambush.  Like mentioned above, M60s have a tough time slugging it out w T64s.  Learned that the hard way.  But in 1982 one sometimes gets Abrams in the mix, and it time to party!  I hope they go forward a bit more in time in some updates/DLCs so I can have more bradleys also.  M113s are nice as a taxi but dang they are useless against soviets. 

Maybe by mid to late 80s the balance swings too far in favor of NATO.  But I am cool w that, I never play as the soviets. 🤪

you can always take a scenario and edit your units to the degree you'd like.  quick and easy though you might find too easy.  I was scarred by my experience play testing the Russian campaign when my btr battalion ran into Cav units mounted in Bradleys.

10 hours ago, danfrodo said:

Ah, but what's the challenge in that? 😀 I play tested the US campaign, 1979. First scenario you start with a handful of M48a5s. Hoooboy!  That makes life interesting.

Dave